Write up

rod

Retired 22 years
You are why unions have a bad name.

Just working as directed. The truck needed oil daily so I did my "oil walk" daily-----------even when they rode with me---nothing was ever said about "milking". If you look in a mirror you will see why Unions are really needed. At my center we earned our money. We added our own gas, checked our own oil, cleaned our own windshields and even washed out the inside of our own trucks if we didn't like working in a half inch of dust. We didn't wait for Mommy to tie our shoes for us.

rod

Retired 22 years
I drive by the Verizon picket line at least twice a day. There is very little public support for their strike. I have little sympathy for their cause and really wish they would just go back to work.

We have a 22.3 who takes care of all of that stuff for us. I would be hard pressed to find the oil dipstick without help.

When it boils down to it NO one cares or has sympathy for ANY strikers. Who cares. You aren't striking to get approval of others--you are striking to be able to maintain what others have fought for or maybe even try to gain a little. You should just hang up the delivery job and spend your remaining days in management where you would be much happier.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When it boils down to it NO one cares or has sympathy for ANY strikers. Who cares. You aren't striking to get approval of others--you are striking to be able to maintain what others have fought for or maybe even try to gain a little. You should just hang up the delivery job and spend your remaining days in management where you would be much happier.
They didn't want him either.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-27_16-3-17.png
    upload_2016-5-27_16-3-17.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

FilingBluesFL

I drive by the Verizon picket line at least twice a day. There is very little public support for their strike. I have little sympathy for their cause and really wish they would just go back to work.

We have a 22.3 who takes care of all of that stuff for us. I would be hard pressed to find the oil dipstick without help.

For you, finding the dipstick is as easy as looking in the nearest mirror...

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
we were never trained to check the oil level at integrad or in the hub. the closest we come to lifting the hood is checking the straps to make sure theyre secured.

glad i read this thread, lately i have also been a little rushy with my pretrips to beat the stampede from the hub.

Sounds like some of these smaller centers leave the pre-trips up to a car washer. I'm surprised this hasn't been grieved before, because as far as the DOT is concerned, the driver is responsible for verifying his equipment is road-ready. This is a bigger issue in feeders, where you're likely to run through scales everyday, but the rules apply to package cars just as they do feeders. So if you have a light out and get pulled over or run through the scales, you are at the mercy of the cops. And UPS doesn't get the ticket, you do. The hubs I'm at, you'll see the package car drivers doing their pre-trips out in the yard.

Having someone other than the driver doing the pre-trip just doesn't make sense. For one, a pre-trip needs to be done just before the driver uses the equipment, not the night before or hours before. Second, if a driver DOES get a ticket for something, telling the cop, "Hey, I can't get a ticket, I'm not responsible for checking the vehicle I drive commercially," is going to get a good laugh from the cop--as he continues to write the ticket. And as someone else posted earlier, doing a proper pre-trip IS part of the so called methods, as prescribed by UPS. It's in their driving manual. And the reason it is in there is because it is the law.

A good pre-trip routine can find problems before you head out on the road. There are many examples of this. Checking windshield wiper fluid is part of it. Who wants to be driving in sleet, snow or icy conditions with no windshield wiper fluid? It's annoying and dangerous. Same thing with the actual wipers. Sometimes they come loose. But most of the time, it will be noticed during a pre-trip. Checking that your tires are properly inflated is part of it. If you have a flat, it's gonna be a while before someone gets out there to change it. Who wants to wait in a a hot or cold vehicle if it could've been changed before you left that day? Maybe the last guy, or the car washer added oil but forgot to put the cap back on? It happens, and it can get real messy, and it could run you out of oil.

FilingBluesFL

In our center, the car wash USED to check the oil and top off fluids nightly. Then that became an "unnecessary labor cost."

I once took a car out with 11 quarts low on oil.

I can assure you, it did not return to the center on its own....

So yesterday I was in a big rush to get my airs off, I didn't notice my gas tank when leaving the building (I've never had this issue before). I ran out of gas right in front of my first air. Took 2 hours for a mechanic to bring me gas. I still managed to get in the building on time that night, but my head Sup. still called and talked a bunch of :censored2:. I found out from another driver she's been going around talking to the other drivers about me. Got a call from my steward to be in early today, for a write up. As a driver, I come in, rearrange truck and hurry up to leave. I don't think it's my responsibility to have my truck filled first thing in the morning, or I would have been late anyway for my airs. How should I go about fighting this write up?
It's part of your pre trip Einstein. You shouldn't be working off the clock. You do it because you are a mester. If you just showed that much dedication to safety you would be all good. Go take your lumps.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Um, a steward shouldn't be telling you to come in early for anything, especially a discipline meeting. The company needs to give a 1 week notice of change to start time. Yes you should be doing proper pre-trip and if you have too much air communicate it verbally in front of witnesses then message it in after PCM to CYA then it becomes their problem.
To add to that after you communicate you have to many airs don't deliver any ground if you are gonna have late air

Savvy412

I must say... Our pcs are packed so gosh darn tight ... It's hard to do a good , thorough pre trip .

But because of this thread, I been checking extra good and Friday found a screw in my tire . Notified sup
And he said you should be fine . So
If I got a flat , I woulda been fine .

Thnx bc

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I must say... Our pcs are packed so gosh darn tight ... It's hard to do a good , thorough pre trip .

But because of this thread, I been checking extra good and Friday found a screw in my tire . Notified sup
And he said you should be fine . So
If I got a flat , I woulda been fine .

Thnx bc

Are they still parked side by side outside in the parking lot?

Your sup was right about the screw. The tire would only go flat if the screw were to become dislodged.