Year round helpers?

nystripe96

In my hub they have year round helpers at $16/hr. A preloader I know does it 3x/week and pockets nearly $1000/week. Even the twilight shifters are working as a helper. It's great experience for sure and OT inside rate is guaranteed after 8 hrs

HubBub

Anything that creates less work for permanent FT package car drivers is bad. Helpers, seasonals and surepost should be kept at an absolute minimum. Utility drivers and working sups should be nonexistent. imo.

Johney

Just talk to the resi guy who runs 250 stops or more a day(more in Dec.) with a helper from Oct. to Jan. and ask how they feel. I assure you they are cooked. You are responsible for another person on your car for a lot longer than everyone else. That in it's self is not worth it. Trust me unless you've done it you don't know.Again they can only do this by cutting routes and lowering the stop count of other drivers(Which pisses off the guy with the helper). How can this not affect the hiring of friend/T people?

Marlin3030hntr

Ya here in the SW they have language in our rider that peak season helpers can work oct. 15- jan. 15th since right after December ended last year we had a huge influx of volume the second week of January and every driver got a runner for a week so that was almost 200 pters making $32 and $47hr ot for 6 working days, I came home with $2000 that week but that's why the company pushed the union to let that happen in the current TA. But as everyone else has said the answer is more routes and drivers not over dispatching and giving everyone a runner.

I call BS on the $32 and $47 per hour claim.
Sorry to burst your bubble but here from 1/1-9/30 if they use runners we get top ground rate and at that time, at the beginning of the year, our top rate was about $32hr I can post my pay stub if need be, all I was saying our dates will change to 10/15-1/15 because they shelled out so much money in labor to us when that happened in January

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Just talk to the resi guy who runs 250 stops or more a day(more in Dec.) with a helper from Oct. to Jan. and ask how they feel. I assure you they are cooked. You are responsible for another person on your car for a lot longer than everyone else. That in it's self is not worth it. Trust me unless you've done it you don't know.Again they can only do this by cutting routes and lowering the stop count of other drivers(Which pisses off the guy with the helper). How can this not affect the hiring of friend/T people?

The pathetic part is that most of these helpers are probably high seniority PTers who are only screwing themselves out of FT driving...and do not even realize it.

JDAM00

The reason it screws UPS employees, is that:
Imagine you have enough packages for 3 drivers to work a full day, at 34 an hour(hopefully). They can jam those 3 trucks worth of packages on two trucks, and pay two full time drivers, and one :censored2: bag who came in off the street at 11 an hour. It saves UPS money, and it creates less driving positions, keeping part timers part time making less. Glad Teamsters are so against it. Completely understand why they need them during peak. We actually have to rent UHauls the last few weeks before peak just to keep up.

Tough Guy

The reason it screws UPS employees, is that:
Imagine you have enough packages for 3 drivers to work a full day, at 34 an hour(hopefully). They can jam those 3 trucks worth of packages on two trucks, and pay two full time drivers, and one :censored2: bag who came in off the street at 11 an hour. It saves UPS money, and it creates less driving positions, keeping part timers part time making less. Glad Teamsters are so against it. Completely understand why they need them during peak. We actually have to rent UHauls the last few weeks before peak just to keep up.

I don't know how it works in your hub, but they already do that here. Minus the helper.