"You guys need to get a union!"

Whither

Scofflaw
Yesterday I pulled up to a resi to deliver a treadmill. Honked, consignee came out and met me on the street. He offered to help only to warn he had injured his wrist. I said, "Don't worry about it" and started dragging the monster with "mechanical-lift only" stickers plastered on the sides up his steep steps with a little help from him. Once we got the damn thing to his porch he said, "I can't believe they have you guys delivering this -- that's freight! Think about your back!" "You're telling me, brother! Unfortunately UPS has had us carrying up to 150lbs since the mid-90s."

He exclaimed, "You guys need to get a union!" I laughed, "We've got one -- we're Teamsters." He shook his head, "It sounds your leadership is distracted."

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Yesterday I pulled up to a resi to deliver a treadmill. Honked, consignee came out and met me on the street. He offered to help only to warn he had injured his wrist. I said, "Don't worry about it" and started dragging the monster with "mechanical-lift only" stickers plastered on the sides up his steep steps with a little help from him. Once we got the damn thing to his porch he said, "I can't believe they have you guys delivering this -- that's freight! Think about your back!" "You're telling me, brother! Unfortunately UPS has had us carrying up to 150lbs since the mid-90s."

He exclaimed, "You guys need to get a union!" I laughed, "We've got one -- we're Teamsters." He shook his head, "It sounds your leadership is distracted."
Totally agree. I mean we only get a pension , 401k , free healthcare , great pay and job security. I am looking into employment at Walmart as we speak.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

You could have politely explained, that it was (and is) an apathetic membership

that continually fails to vote on their own contract....

Poop Head

Judge me.
I am looking into employment at Walmart as we speak.
I was talking to the ONE checkout guy, everything else is "self checkout" now, he said that he's not worried at all about being replaced by the self checkouts. He said, if they replace him with a self checkout, he can go stock shelves. Just then, a robotic shelf-stocking cart rolled by.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The union protects our right to deliver 150 pound treadmills.

They do.

ARTICLE 44. OVER 70 POUND SERVICE PACKAGE HANDLING

"The parties agree that the health and safety of the employees are of the utmost importance. The Employer agrees that UPS management will not insist that any unsafe action be undertaken and the Union agrees to encourage its members to cooperate in effectuating the handling, pick-up and delivery of parcels without exposing themselves to safety hazards."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

What are you afraid of ?

Siveriano

I see an over 70 that i dont feel comfortable delivering by myself, im asking for help.
Drivers used to hate me because they have to come and help me, now they just laugh about it, its overtime for them and me.

Recently had a 141 LB to pickup from a 3rd floor, the pm dispatch told me to roll it down the stairs to which I sent a message saying thats not the methods and completed the OCPU as not ready, 45 minutes later got a message " where are you? another driver is waiting for you at the location"

Fuzzy Brown

Section 1. On Area Package Handling
No employee shall be required to handle any over 70 pound packages alone if it is the employee’s good faith belief that such handling would be a safety hazard to herself or himself. In such cases,
the Employer shall provide whichever of the following is requested in good faith by the employee in handling over 70 pound packages:
1. Another bargaining unit employee for assistance, or 2. Appropriate lifting/handling devices, or
3. Another bargaining unit employee and an appropriate
lifting/handling device for handling, pick-up or delivery circumstances that require both bargaining unit help and an appropriate lifting/handling device.
In all such instances involving package car drivers, where assistance from another bargaining unit employee has been requested in good faith, both employees will be full-time employees of the bargaining
unit except that air drivers or helpers, where permitted by the applicable Supplement, may be used to assist the full-time driver in the
delivery and/or pickup of such overweight packages. On Saturdays, air drivers may be assisted by another air driver in the delivery and/or pickup of overweight packages. A helper may be used to assist a driver in the handling of overweight packages when a helper is already on the package car in accordance with the terms of the Supplement, Rider or Addendum.
No employee will be required to solicit or accept customer assistance if it is the employee’s good faith belief that the customer is not qualified to help or that such assistance would be a safety hazard to themselves or the customer.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You could have politely explained, that it was (and is) an apathetic membership

that continually fails to vote on their own contract....

I'm sure when locals sent out contract questionnaires the top suggestion was to create a new, two-tiered pay classification... :ninja3:

Leadership starts at the top. Call us apathetic but this crap should never make it to a vote!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'm sure when locals sent out contract questionnaires the top suggestion was to create a new, two-tiered pay classification... :ninja3:

Leadership starts at the top. Call us apathetic but this crap should never make it to a vote!

5000 returned questionnaires had a bigger impact on our lives than 50,000 votes. No wonder no one bothers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

The Wal-mart of unions and pig union guy is your leader and greeter. PS it's all your fault, worthless ups peasant.

542thruNthru

You could have asked for help. :)
Screenshot_20200124-090144_Adobe Acrobat.jpg