Your Driver said what?

aspenleaf

So we have all heard the driver complaints about customers but about the “complaints” about the drivers we deal with every day? For those of us that load your trucks we have heard just about everything.

I love when a truck is bulked out and the driver says “Is that all gonna fit?” Yup just gotta toss a few onto the cargo rack we installed this morning and you are good to go!

And what about those times you had a driver a tiny box (2 inches by 2 inches) and they say “I have no room for that!” Right I can think of a place for it.

Or when they show up around 8:30 (and their start time is 8:15) and you are still loading because it was one of THOSE days and they say “So you all been busy today; we must have a lot of volume?” Naw we just started very late. . . thanks Captain Obvious!

And who doesn’t love when a driver points out that it is hot in the building and that you are sweating up a storm. Then they go and drink hot coffee and watch (well not really watch they are usually do other things such as checking over the load etc) you finish loading!

My favorite is when you hand them a package to put on their truck (that has come in late and you are flying down the boxline with your arms full of package for all the trucks) and they say “What do I do with it?” Ummm eat it?

I am sure you other preloaders can think of some things.:wink:

And I am sure you drivers have heard stupid stuff from your preloaders. . .like when your truck is totally full and we say "looks like you will be busy today!"

psyclone

I walked up to the back of my truck one AM, already pretty much full with quite a bit stacked out. A new preloader looking puzzled as to what he should do.

I didn't say a word. I bent down and looked under the boxline by the truck, raised up, shook my head and told the preloader, "The damn stretcher isn't here"

"The what"

"The truck stretcher, they usually keep it right here 'cause we gotta use it on this truck at least twice a week. Go find you supe and ask him where it is, we are never going to fit all that in the truck without stretchin it."

"Ask for a truck stretcher?"

"Yeah and hurry up or else I'll be gone and you'll be the one explaining why I left all this stuff on the dock"

upsgrunt

Nice thread Aspen! By the way, do live near Peyton?
Anyway, when the preload still used the Alpha charts I get an FNG and right before I leave he tries to tell me that there are a bunch of 675x's in the middle of the floor because they wouldn't fit. It always took awhile for new people to learn we deliver by addresses, not sequence numbers. I had to laugh because I did the same thing when I was a preloader back in '86.

upsgrunt

I walked up to the back of my truck one AM, already pretty much full with quite a bit stacked out. A new preloader looking puzzled as to what he should do.

I didn't say a word. I bent down and looked under the boxline by the truck, raised up, shook my head and told the preloader, "The damn stretcher isn't here"

"The what"

"The truck stretcher, they usually keep it right here 'cause we gotta use it on this truck at least twice a week. Go find you supe and ask him where it is, we are never going to fit all that in the truck without stretchin it."

"Ask for a truck stretcher?"

"Yeah and hurry up or else I'll be gone and you'll be the one explaining why I left all this stuff on the dock"

That goes along with the rectum stretcher. After awhile you can get them stretched out to nearly 6 feet. Whatever would you do with a 6 foot rectum? Put them in charge of the preload!:lol::lol::lol::lol: Sorry no offense intended for anyone in said position- it's the first one I thought of.

aspenleaf

Anyway, when the preload still used the Alpha charts I get an FNG and right before I leave he tries to tell me that there are a bunch of 675x's in the middle of the floor because they wouldn't fit. It always took awhile for new people to learn we deliver by addresses, not sequence numbers. I had to laugh because I did the same thing when I was a preloader back in '86.

The place or person (Peyton)?

Oh and just so you drivers know misloads are now called misadventures from preload! Some of you are lucky and have 5 or so a day. . .what fun that must be! Never knowing what you will find in the dark corners of your truck. . .right next to the pee bottle! :tongue_sm

upsgrunt

The place or person (Peyton)?

Oh and just so you drivers know misloads are now called misadventures from preload! Some of you are lucky and have 5 or so a day. . .what fun that must be! Never knowing what you will find in the dark corners of your truck. . .right next to the pee bottle! :tongue_sm

Sorry, I meant the place-East of Littleton.

DS

Fenderbender
enough wiith the pee bottle....my biggest pissoff is my preloader
says its light today and I have my 63 stops it ends up to be actually 97
and with all the oncalls its an 11 1/2 hour day...I think the preloaders
should have to do a day onroad before they get hired.

Once when I was a pt sup. a driver who delivered a mall down town (it has 4 floors, mezzanine, 1st, 2nd, 3rd floor) complained 3 days in a row about a misload for the mezzanine being loaded with 3rd floor businesses. Finally on the 4th day, after auditing the load for 3 days and not finding any misloads. He comes up to me yelling and screaming looking like hes gonna go postal. Again acting like a 2 year old, He went and got my sup. saying he found the same misload. I told him I had two solutions, he could look for that stop with the 3rd floor stuff of I could change the alpha chart. My supervisor had to hold him back. I lost alot of repect for the guy that day. Then when I delivered his route I lost all respect for him.

Since the sequence number was 675x, was it loaded high to low?:lol:

upsgrunt

Since the sequence number was 675x, was it loaded high to low?:lol:

After I was a preloader for awhile, we would get new hires who would look at the chart and ask " what does odd and even mean?" Those people never lasted very long- don't know why!:tongue_sm:tongue_sm