Your job sucks? (long)

Bad Gas!

Animal,
UPS eats their young..You are going to be bending over..Stay in shape..They will love you today, dislike you tomorrow...never get humble ..The job is more mental at times than physical...If you break down everything we do it is easy..Now, put the correct amount of time it takes to do all these easy things down...Next, take away 1 to 2 hours from the amt. of time it takes to do in the allotted time..Ready ..go!

DS

Fenderbender
Oh to be a upser,the brown collar dream come true
work here 20 years and see what brown can do for you

Now you're young and healthy and at first a little sore
your efforts are rewarded with more and more and more and more!

in your back your neck and elbows
head and shoulders knees and toes
achilles heel and fingers and the deisel up your nose

One day its recognition and they make feel real proud
the next day its a letter of reprimand for being overallowed

the work is hard , the pay is good, retire at 55
Good luck to you and godspell that your body will survive

forgive me if my rhymes are bad and kinda loosey goosey
tonight Im not profound,I'm just just a little Dr.Zeussy

brownrod

if i dont like the job i will quit within the first week, i will never work a job that i hate. but from what i hear from the hundreds of drivers i have talked to in my building, it is a good job.

It is a decent job. it's all the extra crap we deal with that makes it suck. UPS has made it as complicated as possible for us to simply deliver packages.

Today all I could think is that if I could get a route where package selection was possible and finishing business stops before pickups was possible then I would be happy.

That fedex gig sounds like a cakewalk. Hop into your first 100% full UPS truck and you cannot even find your NDA packages and tell us how your day was. p1000 trucks usually fit around 350-400 packages and I often think the dispatch sups dispatch us by the # of packages and not by # of stops.

To put it simply: we are asked to do the impossible on a regular basis. And when we fail we are shown a piece of paper with some numbers on it and asked what the hell our problem is. Other than that, delivering packages isn't bad at all.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Hey Dazed, I was a split driver for 11 years in 2 different centers - I feel your pain! I have done over 70 different routes. You are right - the senior drivers knew when to take vacation and make your life a living hell on their route! The justice is I am now my own UPS driver and come home every day for lunch to play with my chickens!

Mr. Cogburn, I presume??

sex.jpg

D

Dis-organized Labor

Where'd he go. I wanted to see who would bite and get into a pissin' match with him.

Hawaii50

Animal in NYC you don't pick Package Delivery as your career. Package Delivery career picks you and if you're lucky you'll get 10 years in before you get hurt and no longer can drive and get a offered a settelment.

There are other jobs that give you 80 grand a year don't settle on UPS package delivery driver.

Anmial in NYC. Once you put on that Brown Uniform. There is no going back to your life as how you lived it in the past. That Brown Uniform will change how you live your life in ways that you would'nt have expected.

trickpony1

AnimalNYC seems to be young, wide-eyed and impressionable.

He's a sorter and his supes are nice to him since they are glad to see someone, anyone, walk through the door on a regular basis.

He doesn't seem to understand the accumlative effects of age, increased workload and stress on the older human. It is easy for a youngster to be blinded by the glitter, gloss and glory of the dollar signs and that cute little brown truck.

I love it when people ask, "....if the job is so bad, why do you stay?".

Animal (with a capital A) doesn't seem to understand the concept of something called "pension", but then he's only been here 2 1/2 years. He doesn't understand that at some point you can't leave or you will lose, essentially, everything.

"We aren't in Kansas anymore, Toto". (a quote from a movie).

Braveheart

It used to be did you get all your stops done. Pick ups done. No accidents. No injuries. No customer complaints. Good job.

Now despite doing everything just perfect you are still a piece of crap according to a print out from the computor handed to you by a guy that never drove a day in his life.

Job at fed ex is half what we do. They have A/C too!!!

We have mandatory overtime. If you want to "TRY" to keep it at just 9 and 1/2 hours per day you go through hell filing grievances and harassment. They can still work you 10-11-12 hours a day twice a week as long as 3 days are 9 and 1/2 hours per day or less.

I worked about 7 years as a part timer before going full time. When I went from part time to full time it was like going from fighting one guy to fighting 20 at once.

When we went public with our stock is when all hell broke loose.

Good Luck. You will need it.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
if i dont like the job i will quit within the first week, i will never work a job that i hate. but from what i hear from the hundreds of drivers i have talked to in my building, it is a good job.
You can't "see" the job in one week. It takes a good year or two to see the down side to the job and then guess what . . . . .your stuck there. After 30 working days on a newly bid job(your local could be different) as a full timer you can't go back to part time. You quit and your out of the company.

How long did it take for you to ask the "hundreds of drivers" in your building about the job? :surprised::knockedout:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
show me a job that will offer me 80 grand a year with full benefits, job security, advancement opportunities, paid sick days, personal days, weeks of vacation, a pension, and where i dont have to work weekends, late nights, or holidays. im dead serious, throw some at me, ill look into it.
From the numbers you quoted from the drivers, it sounds like a cake walk compared to Spokane. 120 stops...I could be done with those by lunch. Only 20 or 30 pickups? How are the managers not stressing cutting routes to make the numbers look better? Trust me it's on the way. What you need to understand is the folks that are complaining about the job have worked there for many years and have watched the slow deterioration of this once great company. Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but I've been here a mere 13 years and even I can see the company falling apart at the seams. It all started when UPS went public and as if by magic they had to answer to shareholders and make the numbers look good for investors. Investors don't have clue one about the job. Numbers don't have a place in reality simply because they're too many people involved in the job to make accurate numbers. They're a good baseline to follow, but they want you to achieve those numbers as if lives are in the balance. Aside from all of that, the job is fantastic. Good pay, good benefits, weekends off (unless Christmas Eve is on a Saturday,) but it's not what it used to be and that's where some of the guys complaining are coming from. It used to be that 100 stops and your pickup route was a dispatched 8.5 day. Now, with PAS and the vaunted telematics system 125 stops and full pickups is considered 8.5 dispatched day. What changed? The stops didn't move closer together...the businesses didn't move closer together...just the numbers changed. Average stops per car in Spokane is 135 right now. When I started driving 4 years ago, it was 118. Can you see where we can start bitching yet? Have some perspective. But by all means, it's still better than a lot of places to work, but understand where these guys are coming from.