Your on car and delivery routine

browniehound

So everytime you do something during the day that does not directly involve your job do you punch out? Ask a travel agent a question about a destination, punch out. Buy a soda in a machine, punch out. Grab a candy bar at the mini-mart, punch out. Talk a minute about the ball game, punch out.

I agree with brownmonster. Looking at your stops before the start time is barely working off the clock if you asked me. If it is, Its more than made up for when I use a vending machine, make a phone call or chat with the customers on UPS's time.

I can look at my EDD for the 20 seconds it takes to scroll through every page and know what time I will punch out.

Its amuses me that the people who complain about looking at EDD for 20 seconds before their start time are the same ones who cry when his boss wants .01 more stops/hour from him.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree with brownmonster. Looking at your stops before the start time is barely working off the clock if you asked me. If it is, Its more than made up for when I use a vending machine, make a phone call or chat with the customers on UPS's time.

I can look at my EDD for the 20 seconds it takes to scroll through every page and know what time I will punch out.

Its amuses me that the people who complain about looking at EDD for 20 seconds before their start time are the same ones who cry when his boss wants .01 more stops/hour from him.

Point well taken, bh.

Rhinoman

Every stop is different and challenging for a new driver, and it's easy to get used to using shortcuts that will work against you as you are required to "spool up" to pace. Obviously you know the 340 Delivery & Pickup Methods, so see if my "mindset" works for you:

Stick to the methods, they will become second nature after about a year.

Park well.
Get to the packages and load a cartful at a time until the last load, and then make sure all the packages for that stop, along with DFu's, call tags, etc, are accounted for. Know your next stop before you leave with the last package.
As you have been loading in you have all the labels up. Scan cods and get the check going, keep scanning til ur done - interrupt at anytime a signer walks by, unless they want a final count (you know your accounts). Clarify & split, completing stop as you walk briskly back to the car.

In shorter words, break the stop down into specific tasks - you are a "time & motion" assembly line on wheels - brilliant!

Get the freight out
Scan it
get the sig,
walk back, drive to next stop.

Safely, deliberately, with a sense of prompt confidence and poise, over and over again, practice, practice...

When you no longer even notice how efficient you are, smooth and almost effortlessy (except for the WEIGHT!), you are getting your work done in peak form and it doesn't even look like you're breaking a sweat - I swear!

tracker2762

Our PCMs start exactly at start time so there is no time to get EDD or go through the board for anything. That would be working off the clock.

As soon as it's start time I get EDD as the meeting is going. We start so late now (9:00) and I have 35 miles to my first stop my only thoughts are my air. They have made things so tight that all you basically do is look at the next few stops and deliver them.

Thank goodness I lost that sense of urgency stuff a long time ago. I have kept my sense of humor but take things personally.

Wow you are very strict about working off the clock. After the PCM do you put your uniform on or right after you get EDD during the PCM

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Just started snowin here, POIM (N Central Mass). It's on its way....!

Save it to your computer, go to your user CP, find change avatar and browse for the one you just saved. Easy as pie, now go outside and shovel some more snow.:wink2:
Just started raining, 40 degrees now. No more ice in driveway...got that all cleaned up (with 1 hand of course!),enjoying a Sam Adams & BC now!