1 year free of FedEx

Oldfart

No idea who Denial 59 is but it sounds like YOU and most everyone else here has issues with regard to fairness and fiscal responsibility. If everyone made the salary they wanted to, many of you would not have a job. Just ask the union companies such as Harvester, Firestone, Deere. Kelloggs and many of the automakers. Plant after plant closed, moved overseas or downsized. New employees making less than older ones because the company could not stay profitable with the salary structure it had in place. What good would it be if FDX paid every courier $31 an hour after 5 years on the job but had to raise rates to pay those salaries and lost customers as a result. Less volume means less hrs. and less employees.

Except for the fella with health issues. NOBODY has said why they continue to work for such a bad company if they know other places pay, treat and benefit their employees so much better. Jobs where you can you make 70k to 80k with no college and decent benefits are in short supply except for UPS and SOME of the automakers. Even automaker workers are making wage concessions. You can make an excellent living selling cars in TODAYS market, but let the economy tank again and car sales will dry up.

bacha29

No idea who Denial 59 is but it sounds like YOU and most everyone else here has issues with regard to fairness and fiscal responsibility. If everyone made the salary they wanted to, many of you would not have a job. Just ask the union companies such as Harvester, Firestone, Deere. Kelloggs and many of the automakers. Plant after plant closed, moved overseas or downsized. New employees making less than older ones because the company could not stay profitable with the salary structure it had in place. What good would it be if FDX paid every courier $31 an hour after 5 years on the job but had to raise rates to pay those salaries and lost customers as a result. Less volume means less hrs. and less employees.

Except for the fella with health issues. NOBODY has said why they continue to work for such a bad company if they know other places pay, treat and benefit their employees so much better. Jobs where you can you make 70k to 80k with no college and decent benefits are in short supply except for UPS and SOME of the automakers. Even automaker workers are making wage concessions. You can make an excellent living selling cars in TODAYS market, but let the economy tank again and car sales will dry up.
Do you realize what you're saying?. You're saying that you are worth what you are being paid and are worth the benefit and pension package but the other guy isn't worth what he is getting and is being paid more than the market allows and therefore he should make wage concessions. Give it up man. If a treatment center existed that treated hypocrisy we would take up a collection to help pay for your treatments.

vantexan

I for one have never expected UPS wages and benefits. The costs of flying most freight overnight prohibit that. But they could've had a 10 year pay plan in place all along. And they could've kept the traditional pension for those who "chose" to remain in it. I have pointed out in the past that FedEx will never have UPS wages until most of their freight is trucked and they become a similar company. Well they are going down that path but have structured things to make sure that they keep the lion's share of the profits. So please don't tell us they have the best intentions for our welfare. We're here to be used, period. You got in when they were a very different company. They have no qualms about making the rest of us work along side guys like you with no hope of ever coming close to what you make. You aren't making more because of your great sacrifices, or great work ethic. You got here first, and they grit their teeth over paying you what they do. Lucky you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He looked out for you? In what way. He has no policy making authority. He can't give you a raise or give you more vacation. Mrfedex just chimes in on any argument he can to fuel the fire in making you believe every person here is getting done wrong. He is a warped bitter fella that time and life has passed. You hate mongrels cherish his opinion because it makes you feel better when an old timer agrees with you. I have no idea what less tenured people than me make. If they don't make the same as me, I can't help that. If they don't get the good vacation weeks that I get, I can't help that. If they don't get the same portable profit sharing contributions as I get, I can't help that either. Mrfedex can't either, he just likes to rile up others and make him look good in supporting your argument. If mrfedex has been here as long as me than he knows we helped build this company. When times were bad, we took the sacrifices that were needed to make the company grow and overcome the challenges. If we were still flying nothing but Falcons and DC3 like we were when I started, most of you would not even have a job. Is the company perfect, heck no. Just ask your customers what they pay in insurance, what salary they make, how much vacation they get. In MOST cases, you will find out your pay and benefits are as good or better than theirs. Not always, but as long as I am in the upper 3rd, I am satisfied.

You are the worst case example of the "I've got mine" syndrome I've ever seen. Just because you started with the company when they used Model T's, doesn't mean everyone else gets to be screwed. Everyone else does the SAME work as you, so why are you so effing special? There is nothing worse or more disheartening than to see some privileged 35 year employee who got his full Traditional Plan and now the PPA next to someone making about half as much and doing a better job.

Compared to a Teamster, what you and I got ain't :censored2:, buddy. A UPS career driver is looking at around $5-6k per month in retirement, which is easily double what you're getting. Factor-in all that you paid in insurance, your really bad benefits, and all of those years where there were zero raises, and you're way behind. Oh, and they have those pesky shop stewards and Weingarten Rights when the company tries to fire you for some bogus reason.

I have a friend who works for a private, very specialized Teamster company. He pays zero per month for an outstanding medical plan, has $7 per hour placed into his pension for all hours worked, and tops-out in 5 years at $42 per hour. You do the math. The next UPS contract will be pretty close to that...count on it.

FedEx is a predatory, exploitative employer that does everything possible to keep wages low, benefits crappy, and the unions out. Yeah, "that's just business", but it really isn't because The Weasel used your money to buy-off politicians, build Ground up, and buy all of those companies that are under the FedEx umbrella. That sucks, but he sucks and deserves to burn for what he's done to employees over the years. How many companies take for effing ever to top-out wages? I know several 20+ year employees who are still not topped-out. Effing LUDICROUS!!! 10 "steps" are just another excuse for keeping employees at low wages as long as possible. If you've bought into this newest version of the scam, I'm sorry you were born retarded.

The average FedEx employee cannot max-out their 401k, buy a home, or adequately deal with medical costs associated with our wonderful "industry leading" plans. That's why I do everything possible to educate newer employees about what FedEx is really like and to encourage them to do something better with their lives. Every person I convince to walk out that door is a personal ethical and moral victory for them and me. Win/Win, if I can prevent them from making the same mistake I did by trusting Mr. Smith and staying until my alternatives were limited. Like I said, I have a second job, and am so glad I do since I now have the luxury of being PT and working extra only if I feel like doing it. As bad as the benefits are, real estate has none, so it works for me to stay...for now.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid, and let us know when you're going to don those purple and orange kneepads for your performance on Iamfedex.com.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Do you realize what you're saying?. You're saying that you are worth what you are being paid and are worth the benefit and pension package but the other guy isn't worth what he is getting and is being paid more than the market allows and therefore he should make wage concessions. Give it up man. If a treatment center existed that treated hypocrisy we would take up a collection to help pay for your treatments.
I never said FDX employees should make wage concessions. I used examples of other companies that have changed the way newer employees are paid. Concessions are being made in many workplaces. I have no idea what lesser tenured employees at FDX make. I have no idea what benefits I get that others don't. I just do not believe that every courier, with no regard to where they live, should make the same amount per hour. A courier in NYC or LA should make more than a courier in Omaha or Jackson Ms. The jobs are totally different and the cost associated with living there are different. A police officer in NYC can make over 100k a year. A police officer in Little Rock will make 50k. They both do the same dangerous job and I wouldnt do it myself. Should the Little Rock Police Officer make 100k as well?

Oldfart

You are the worst case example of the "I've got mine" syndrome I've ever seen. Just because you started with the company when they used Model T's, doesn't mean everyone else gets to be screwed. Everyone else does the SAME work as you, so why are you so effing special? There is nothing worse or more disheartening to see some privileged 35 year employee who got his full Traditional Plan and now the PPA next to someone making about half as much and doing a better job.

Compared to a Teamster, what you and I got ain't :censored2:, buddy. A UPS career driver is looking at around $5-6k per month in retirement, which is easily double what you're getting. Factor-in all that you paid in insurance, your really bad benefits, and all of those years where there were zero raises, and you're way behind. Oh, and they have those pesky shop stewards and Weingarten Rights when the company tries to fire you for some bogus reason.

I have a friend who works for a private, very specialized Teamster company. He pays zero per month for an outstanding medical plan, has $7 per hour placed into his pension for all hours worked, and tops-out in 5 years at $42 per hour. You do the math. The next UPS contract will be pretty close to that...count on it.

FedEx is a predatory, exploitative employer that does everything possible to keep wages low, benefits crappy, and the unions out. Yeah, "that's just business", but it really isn't because The Weasel used your money to buy-off politicians, build Ground up, and buy all of those companies that are under the FedEx umbrella. That sucks, but he sucks and deserves to burn for what he's done to employees over the years. How many companies take for effing ever to top-out wages? I know several 20+ year employees who are still not topped-out. Effing LUDICROUS!!!

The average FedEx employee cannot max-out their 401k, buy a home, or adequately deal with medical costs associated with our wonderful "industry leading" plans.

Keep drinking that Kool-Aid, and let us know when you're going to don those purple and orange kneepads for your performance on Iamfedex.com.
Not sure what you mean by max-out. The 6% needed to get the 3.5% match or the max allowed by the IRS, which is 40% or so. If you can't do 6%, maybe you need to look at some financial publications and see where you are missing out. $50 $60 a week for your financial future. Quit drinking so much beer, smoking too many cigarettes and driving new cars you cant afford. If you want to retire and live with no money issues, you have to make sacrifices while you are working so you can enjoy your later years. Pretty basic common sense.

Ask all the teamster drivers how much their pension has or is about to DECREASE due to pension problems. They are taking in less than a $1 for every $1.50 they are paying in benefits. UPS bailed on that plan and started their own but the old employees are still seeing the results of too high of benefits with not enough new money being invested. Do you people not read anything about the financial world? It is there for everyone to see in the USA Today, Morningstar and Forbes.

vantexan

I never said FDX employees should make wage concessions. I used examples of other companies that have changed the way newer employees are paid. Concessions are being made in many workplaces. I have no idea what lesser tenured employees at FDX make. I have no idea what benefits I get that others don't. I just do not believe that every courier, with no regard to where they live, should make the same amount per hour. A courier in NYC or LA should make more than a courier in Omaha or Jackson Ms. The jobs are totally different and the cost associated with living there are different. A police officer in NYC can make over 100k a year. A police officer in Little Rock will make 50k. They both do the same dangerous job and I wouldnt do it myself. Should the Little Rock Police Officer make 100k as well?
I agree with you on some of that but here's the problem: in areas where the cost of living is high like Jackson Hole, WY or Flagstaff, AZ FedEx will pay as low as possible because they can get away with it. The local economy doesn't have enough decent paying jobs so people take whatever they can get to hang on. If FedEx paid more because the area is really expensive that would be great but they don't. They pay just enough to be competitive in the local environment and if their employees struggle too bad. EVERYTHING FedEx does is about enriching the guys at the top.

vantexan

Not sure what you mean by max-out. The 6% needed to get the 3.5% match or the max allowed by the IRS, which is 40% or so. If you can't do 6%, maybe you need to look at some financial publications and see where you are missing out. $50 $60 a week for your financial future. Quit drinking so much beer, smoking too many cigarettes and driving new cars you cant afford. If you want to retire and live with no money issues, you have to make sacrifices while you are working so you can enjoy your later years. Pretty basic common sense.
I'd like to be paid enough to afford a new car. Is that too much to ask?

Purplepackage

Apparently old fart believes he is entitled to what he has because he's been with the company for so long.

I know I don't feel that way, I've been topped out almost my whole career and have only watched them take from us.

Back when I started the freight used to come in waves during peak a little in the morning more at noon etc. shuttle your pick up pieces to someone and stay out there until 10 on Christmas Eve .

I was paid well for doing that, but now they are trying to pay you guys 14 bucks an hour for it? Apparently Old Fart believes he's just better than you

Oldfart

I'd like to be paid enough to afford a new car. Is that too much to ask?
I don't know. I have never owned a new car. I am saving my money for my mailbox income when I retire. I buy older cars that I can pay cash for and take care of them and drive them till the wheels fall off. It's not that I can't afford a new car, it's just not a priority of mine. Read some financial publications or maybe even a Dave Ramsey book, even though I don't agree with some of his teachings. Living on less and saving more will allow you the financial freedom to do whatever you want later in life.

It is common knowledge that a person will NORMALLY spend whatever they make. If everyone here got a 10k a year raise, I would wager that in 2 years, that extra 20k would not been seen nor accounted for. Kinda like when a person pays off a car loan or a large credit card bill. In their mind they now have an extra 400.00 a month to save. In 1 year, that extra 4800.00 is nowhere to be seen.

whenIgetthere

He looked out for you? In what way. He has no policy making authority. He can't give you a raise or give you more vacation. Mrfedex just chimes in on any argument he can to fuel the fire in making you believe every person here is getting done wrong. He is a warped bitter fella that time and life has passed. You hate mongrels cherish his opinion because it makes you feel better when an old timer agrees with you. I have no idea what less tenured people than me make. If they don't make the same as me, I can't help that. If they don't get the good vacation weeks that I get, I can't help that. If they don't get the same portable profit sharing contributions as I get, I can't help that either. Mrfedex can't either, he just likes to rile up others and make him look good in supporting your argument. If mrfedex has been here as long as me than he knows we helped build this company. When times were bad, we took the sacrifices that were needed to make the company grow and overcome the challenges. If we were still flying nothing but Falcons and DC3 like we were when I started, most of you would not even have a job. Is the company perfect, heck no. Just ask your customers what they pay in insurance, what salary they make, how much vacation they get. In MOST cases, you will find out your pay and benefits are as good or better than theirs. Not always, but as long as I am in the upper 3rd, I am satisfied.

For one thing, he was the only person in the building to ask MT3 point blank when they would stop the BS and top everyone out! Of course, he avoided the question, but that takes cajones! Glad you got what you have, but most of us work just as hard as you!

bacha29

Four of your words says it all........"I have no idea"..You need not say another word.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
For one thing, he was the only person in the building to ask MT3 point blank when they would stop the BS and top everyone out! Of course, he avoided the question, but that takes cajones! Glad you got what you have, but most of us work just as hard as you!

Please give this 35 year employee a MrFedEx paper BZ and a Pewter Falcon he can add to his Monopoly set of safe driving awards (net value $5.00). Wow, I wish more people would confront management like that, which is exactly what we need...from everyone.

Just curious. How did Uncle Mattie react? I know he gave a scripted answer if he answered at all, because every upper management deal I've ever attended was carefully scripted, right down to who would ask the questions and what was off-limits.

Bet his rhoids were all inflamed and that local management got roasted.

vantexan

I don't know. I have never owned a new car. I am saving my money for my mailbox income when I retire. I buy older cars that I can pay cash for and take care of them and drive them till the wheels fall off. It's not that I can't afford a new car, it's just not a priority of mine. Read some financial publications or maybe even a Dave Ramsey book, even though I don't agree with some of his teachings. Living on less and saving more will allow you the financial freedom to do whatever you want later in life.

It is common knowledge that a person will NORMALLY spend whatever they make. If everyone here got a 10k a year raise, I would wager that in 2 years, that extra 20k would not been seen nor accounted for. Kinda like when a person pays off a car loan or a large credit card bill. In their mind they now have an extra 400.00 a month to save. In 1 year, that extra 4800.00 is nowhere to be seen.
Yeah that sounds like management speak. "If we paid you more you'd just blow it so we're looking out for you by paying less." Pay us enough so that we have some options. Living paycheck to paycheck just makes people start looking for other work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yeah that sounds like management speak. "If we paid you more you'd just blow it so we're looking out for you by paying less." Pay us enough so that we have some options. Living paycheck to paycheck just makes people start looking for other work.

Yes. Because we're too dumb to be paid more. Besides, you'd have nothing to look forward to.

Oldfart

Four of your words says it all........"I have no idea"..You need not say another word.
LOL. I know 1 thing. I am retiring in about 2 years with a comfortable 401k, a moderate traditional and a nice portable pension while whiners like you will be working until you are 70 because you don't know the meaning of hard work and sacrifice. I am sorry people with 10 years of service feel cheated because they want all the stock and pension money I have. Whiners and liberals want everything given to them. It doesn't work that way. You work hard, you earn those perks and you save like crazy for the golden years. Or you wind up like mrfedex and wake up 1 day to a life of regret and despair and realize life and good times have passed you by and he can only achieve happiness by firing up the whiners with negativity and hopelessness.

He claims to have all the answers but in reality, he is just a hate monger and needs the younger misreables to look up to him so he can feel like he has a purpose.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
LOL. I know 1 thing. I am retiring in about 2 years with a comfortable 401k, a moderate traditional and a nice portable pension while whiners like you will be working until you are 70 because you don't know the meaning of hard work and sacrifice. I am sorry people with 10 years of service feel cheated because they want all the stock and pension money I have. Whiners and liberals want everything given to them. It doesn't work that way. You work hard, you earn those perks and you save like crazy for the golden years. Or you wind up like mrfedex and wake up 1 day to a life of regret and despair and realize life and good times have passed you by and he can only achieve happiness by firing up the whiners with negativity and hopelessness.

I'm pretty sure I could buy and sell you and still have money left over, so my "whining" is about the way FedEx treats people, not hard work and sacrifice. I always put the maximum into my 401k, worked lots of OT, and when we got the PPA, I started real estate on the side, where I make most of my money. I have a great life, but I would have preferred not to have to work 2 jobs.

You are truly clueless, and a Republican too, which makes the anti-union, boot-strapping, RTW talk make sense. What about someone who has 10 years in, has no Traditional, and is making $20 per hour? How do they max their 401k contribution and/or buy a house? They have been cheated!! I know people like you worship Smith, but his wealth came at the expense of underpaid employees who get screwed paying for a largely useless health care plan and have zero chance of getting a union because The Weasel paid-off the right people.

For years, I heard the sob stories of how "we can't afford raises", and watched the upper management team become multi-millionaires and Smith a billionaire. "We're investing in YOUR future". All of it...crap. In the meantime, Fredward was saving his pennies to buy RPS, and then Viking and the rest. Express employees financed that through low wages.

The cherry on top was the PPA. Fred killed the Traditional based on the fact that FedEx was an "airline", and that we were suffering from the same financial woes that were causing the passenger airlines to bail on their pension commitments. The problem is that FedEx wasn't in financial peril...Smith had his excuse and he lied...again.

Glad you don't give a :censored2: about your co-workers.

Oldfart

You know so much. Fred owns about 1% of the Redskins, not the Vikings. Just maybe you aren't as smart as you think.

Go ahead and buy me. I would cash out early and retire tomorrow. Just let me get with my CPA so we can limit the tax liability. Selling real estate? Selling and buying on Monopoly doesnt count.

MAKAVELI

You know so much. Fred owns about 1% of the Redskins, not the Vikings. Just maybe you aren't as smart as you think.

Go ahead and buy me. I would cash out early and retire tomorrow. Just let me get with my CPA so we can limit the tax liability. Selling real estate? Selling and buying on Monopoly doesnt count.
Viking Freight, kool aid man, not the Vikings. Smh.....