10 step plan

adhawk

Has anyone else seen this or heard of this?

Attachments

• 1444086879108.jpg
    1444086879108.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,249

MondayLates

Yes, there have been other threads about this. Basically the take-away is that it is 10 STEPS not 10 YEARS. They have cleverly worded it to indicate that it is not set it stone that you will move up each year. Also if you are in between steps, you are only going to get bumped up to the next step. So some people could be only a few cents away from the next step and so that is all they will get for a raise next year (myself included). Mid range people are still getting burned because people like whenIgetthere and myself (I have 10 years) are still at least 7 years away from topping out. It's a total sham.

MondayLates

Also keep in mind that if they raise the minimum and maximum like they do every year, it is going to change the steps. I can't imagine it will be in our favor.

fatboy33

Yes, there have been other threads about this. Basically the take-away is that it is 10 STEPS not 10 YEARS. They have cleverly worded it to indicate that it is not set it stone that you will move up each year. Also if you are in between steps, you are only going to get bumped up to the next step. So some people could be only a few cents away from the next step and so that is all they will get for a raise next year (myself included). Mid range people are still getting burned because people like whenIgetthere and myself (I have 10 years) are still at least 7 years away from topping out. It's a total sham.
"Good answer. I like the way you think. I'm gonna be watching you".

Mindthegap

We are going to need a 12 step program to deal with this 10 step "plan". The best thing about a FedEx plan is that it is always subject to change.

vantexan

How do you find out what step you are currently on?
Doesn't start until next year and they haven't finalized the steps yet. From what I gather you take your pay and find which steps it falls between. Your step will be the one just above your pay.

MondayLates

How do you find out what step you are currently on?

The only tables out right now are the two sample tables posted at the top of this thread.

Doesn't start until next year and they haven't finalized the steps yet. From what I gather you take your pay and find which steps it falls between. Your step will be the one just above your pay.

Just to clear up any confusion. You are actually at the step below if you are in between steps. So if you are in between steps 3 and 4, you will only get moved to 4 come next October.

vantexan

The only tables out right now are the two sample tables posted at the top of this thread.

Just to clear up any confusion. You are actually at the step below if you are in between steps. So if you are in between steps 3 and 4, you will only get moved to 4 come next October.
So next year, when it starts, they'll move to the step above where they are now. So really everyone is in a holding pattern until they actually come out with the steps. No one drops to the one below them, they get their either 6% or 3% raise this year and wait for the new system to start.

MondayLates

So next year, when it starts, they'll move to the step above where they are now. So really everyone is in a holding pattern until they actually come out with the steps. No one drops to the one below them, they get their either 6% or 3% raise this year and wait for the new system to start.

That is correct, no one is going to lose money, obviously. However, as I've written elsewhere, if you are only a few cents shy of the next step, that is all that you are going to get for the next raise cycle. And just because they raise the minimum and the maximum doesn't mean the steps will change. For all we know the steps could stay the same and only steps 1 and 10 would be affected by that. My personal opinion is if there are future step changes, the raises will be back-loaded so there are minimal raises for steps 1-7 and decent raises for steps 8-10. There are so many ways that they can still use this new system to their advantage.

If there were any justice to this, the steps would be your years of service.

fatboy33

That is correct, no one is going to lose money, obviously. However, as I've written elsewhere, if you are only a few cents shy of the next step, that is all that you are going to get for the next raise cycle. And just because they raise the minimum and the maximum doesn't mean the steps will change. For all we know the steps could stay the same and only steps 1 and 10 would be affected by that. My personal opinion is if there are future step changes, the raises will be back-loaded so there are minimal raises for steps 1-7 and decent raises for steps 8-10. There are so many ways that they can still use this new system to their advantage.

Or like so many have been saying for a good while, if they really wanted to hand out raises, why don't they top any employee with 10+ years of service? This step program is a clever way of appearing to do a lot while only doing very little.

MAKAVELI

Or like so many have been saying for a good while, if they really wanted to hand out raises, why don't they top any employee with 10+ years of service? This step program is a clever way of appearing to do a lot while only doing very little.
It's not very clever because it's so obvious.

vantexan

Bottom line is that newhires will top out in 10 years while midrange employees who've worked next to top out employees for many years for much less will still have to put in more years to reach top pay. About all we can do at this point is just grin and bear it, it's better than nothing. They aren't concerned with how 15 year employees feel about it, they know they'll just keep taking what's dished out. Newhires are the future of this company, and FedEx will destroy itself if it can't keep the newhires. Thankfully young adults live online, and I'm sure the word is out about FedEx as a place to work.

fatboy33

Bottom line is that newhires will top out in 10 years while midrange employees who've worked next to top out employees for many years for much less will still have to put in more years to reach top pay. About all we can do at this point is just grin and bear it, it's better than nothing. They aren't concerned with how 15 year employees feel about it, they know they'll just keep taking what's dished out. Newhires are the future of this company, and FedEx will destroy itself if it can't keep the newhires. Thankfully young adults live online, and I'm sure the word is out about FedEx as a place to work.
You're right. Purple knows to cater to the new hires as they can very easily quit where as the 15 year employee is too much invested into the company to leave. Bills and Mortgage/rent force the invested employee to be a prisoner to his job. If a newbie wants to quit, he just lets his mom know and all is well. Purple is very clever.

MAKAVELI

You're right. Purple knows to cater to the new hires as they can very easily quit where as the 15 year employee is too much invested into the company to leave. Bills and Mortgage/rent force the invested employee to be a prisoner to his job. If a newbie wants to quit, he just lets his mom know and all is well. Purple is very clever.
FedEx has no intention of topping out new hires. They will dangle the carrot for them and then yank it away just like they have in the past. This is nothing but a scam to keep turnover from skyrocketing in the short-term.