1000% Increase In Retiree Health Care Cost?!?!?!?

detailkings

Has anyone received a letter from UPS announcing that the "UPS Health and Welfare Package for Retired Employees" monthly contribution of $50 a month is going to increase to:

You Only $247.50 per month
You Plus Spouse $495.00 per month
You Plus Children $495.00 per month
You Plus Family $742.50 per month

If you, please post your opinions, concerns, plans, etc on this subject

packageguy

Has anyone received a letter from UPS announcing that the "UPS Health and Welfare Package for Retired Employees" monthly contribution of $50 a month is going to increase to:

You Only $247.50 per month
You Plus Spouse $495.00 per month
You Plus Children $495.00 per month
You Plus Family $742.50 per month

If you, please post your opinions, concerns, plans, etc on this subject

rumor has it, they are using it towards our contract. This is not good

Ms.PacMan

That letter might just be what it is - an increase in the cost of healthcare and nothing more.

Just a thought though - I posted earlier this year that I thought it was probably driving UPS crazy that so many people were eligible to retire and they hadn't a clue as to when or how many would. This cost of insurance might be the perfect thing for UPS to renegotiate in the contract to usher people out the door by a certain date.

mintlp

I called the UPS benefits center and the representative said that they have the right to increase the premium because our contract expires on July 31,2013.
We need to express our concerns to the Teamsters regarding this obscene price hike. I sure hope that the Teamsters address this financial burdon on Retirees.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
I called the UPS benefits center and the representative said that they have the right to increase the premium because our contract expires on July 31,2013.
We need to express our concerns to the Teamsters regarding this obscene price hike. I sure hope that the Teamsters address this financial burdon on Retirees.
To repeat a post I had on the other discussion thread: Coming into the contract negotiations, UPS will have their pot of money, which will be split between wages, health care, and pensions. The Teamsters will have to decide which way they want the money to split. $50 per month is simply unrealistic when the cost to the company is around $12,000 per year for a family plan.
The Teamster retirees need to communicate with the Teamsters to let them know your concerns, but frankly, retirees don't vote. So the days of incredibly cheap health insurance premiums will probably go by the wayside, with the money going to wages and pensions.
I have no dog in that hunt, being retired management subject to the whims of the beancounters. But you need to vent to the Teamsters, in addition to this board.

brown bomber

brown bomber
Central States, currently is $200.00 for an individual retiree, or $400.00 for you and your spouse......we have NO coverage for eligible children, NO dental, or NO vision coverages, and on top of that some of you are probably receiving twice as much per month in benefits as your Brothers and Sisters in Central States...I worked 27 yrs. fulltime, and over 5 yrs. part-time........and I was forced to retire, due to disability..........I receive about $2300.00 a month after deductions..........anybody else want to post, or declare how much they receive per month.......I was hired Sept. 1977..and officially retired on Oct., 2011

Ms.PacMan

Central States, currently is $200.00 for an individual retiree, or $400.00 for you and your spouse......we have NO coverage for eligible children, NO dental, or NO vision coverages, and on top of that some of you are probably receiving twice as much per month in benefits as your Brothers and Sisters in Central States...I worked 27 yrs. fulltime, and over 5 yrs. part-time........and I was forced to retire, due to disability..........I receive about $2300.00 a month after deductions..........anybody else want to post, or declare how much they receive per month.......I was hired Sept. 1977..and officially retired on Oct., 2011

I'm in Central States and we have UPS insurance - for as long as the oldest retired driver can remember (40 yrs). Everyone around here has received the letter.

I wonder if each local voted one way or the other for insurance when the centers were first started?

sanjoseupser

I just recieved the letter today. talked to hr rep she says we past the formula of $6,250 per ups retired employee so the rate is going up to those figures. i talked to my old union rep he had no idea ups had sent this letter but said he's not surprised do to the contract is over on August 1.

kumet

if drivers have to work longer there will be lots more on the job injuries and repetitive stress injuries and lawsuits . ups w/c insurance will go up. life time medical on them . not really a job for most people in their 60s. I URGE ALL to work safe but report all injuries and have a paper trail leading back to that package car . they are penny wise and dollar foolish.

Dwingnut

The problem with me and many of my retired ups drivers is that ups takes a toll on our bodies. The problems don't show up till we get older( back, knee,shoulder). I hope the company realizes this fact and will reconsider the price increase.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The problem with me and many of my retired ups drivers is that ups takes a toll on our bodies. The problems don't show up till we get older( back, knee,shoulder). I hope the company realizes this fact and will reconsider the price increase.

The letter is a negotiating ploy by the company which based on the responses here seems to be working quite well.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I think that is why they considered the price increase in the first place ... suck it up and don't go to the doctor! :wornout:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think that is why they considered the price increase in the first place ... suck it up and don't go to the doctor! :wornout:

Although tongue in cheek, there is some truth to this statement. A vast majority make it to retirement in pretty decent physical shape.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Although tongue in cheek, there is some truth to this statement. A vast majority make it to retirement in pretty decent physical shape.

Our H&W fund put co-pays in place a few years ago---our healthcare costs have gone down dramatically. The co-pay for a doctor's office visit is $10 and is $100 for a visit to the ER. While $10 is not likely to sway anyone $100 may make you think twice as to whether your condition warrants a visit to the ER or can wait until you can get in to see your doctor.

Our two most recent retirees both made it to retirement in fairly good shape. One does need to have knee surgery, which will be covered by comp, but are both active and healthy.

moco

i dont think this is a scare tactic,i think there going to do it.you start rumors to scare people,you write letters and send them to every retiree when you mean buisness.-----all working fulltime upsers need to be aware of these letters and premium increases.this is what they have to look forward to when they retire.they in turn need to call their local and express their concern.all retirees should do the same.if this issue is important to the rank and file and we let it be known to the ibt the greater chance the ibt will make this a priority and act on this.it is a contract year ,now is the time. if we sit back and do nothing(tell ourselves its going to be allright and were wrong)were going to be paying these premiums come august.make copies of these letters,get them out to every upser out there.write on the top"this is what you have to look forward to when you retire,premiums were $50,contact your union and express your concern"its up to us to get the word out.go to ups discussions ups health benefits 12-29 pg 26 read willybad post.that same pg i believe quote by hall on matter.this is real.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This might be the reality going forward as healthcare costs continue to rise. Right now in my local at 25 years it's $450/month for single coverage, $900/month for you and your spouse, no option for family coverage. It's a great plan but it's not cheap and the costs go up every year. I'm figuring I'll have to budget $12,000 - $15,000 per year for healthcare in retirement, and until I can swing that I'll continue to work.