Coldworld

60 months and counting
One of the many reasons my family is heading to Idaho. Washington state sucks. I like it here but I don't like who runs it here.
Wait 15 years... Idaho will be part of the Oregon, Washington, and California liberal states of America... Idaho is one of the fastest growing states in the US right now and there are many families moving there which is changing the demographics...the tide is turning

W

What The Hawk?

Wait 15 years... Idaho will be part of the Oregon, Washington, and California liberal states of America... Idaho is one of the fastest growing states in the US right now and there are many families moving there which is changing the demographics...the tide is turning
It sucks. Cause when I look at the political map of Idaho there are like 2 counties that are blue. I was thinking of going to AZ.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think loaders are far too stupid and naive to realize what's going on and what's going to happen.
That’s why we need the negotiating teams to bring this up... if you don’t think the Union is going to use this as leverage a person would be out of their mind... and they should be using it as a bargaining tool... absolutely.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It sucks. Cause when I look at the political map of Idaho there are like 2 counties that are blue. I was thinking of going to AZ.
Lol... I think I’m the next few years Idaho, Arizona and Colorado are all going to be become blue states... Boise, Phoenix, Denver are all going to grow and be mostly democratic, if they aren’t already....

W

What The Hawk?

this isn’t the Wild West anymore... Montana, Wyoming or North and South Dakota might be more if what you’re Looking for....
I'm looking at AZ for other reasons too though. I need a warm climate. My body doesn't handle well in cold weather. Plus I don't know if I'll be staying with UPS anymore.

W

What The Hawk?

My hub is in a city where the minimum wage is 8 but every fast food joint pays at least 10. It's difficult to talk someone into loading trucks when they can earn the same money running a cash register
I made $15/hour working at a Taco Bell. It's absolutely ridiculous that "high school" and entry level jobs are increasing wages. They should be encouraging people to get an education or to move up at work so that they can make more money, not constantly cater to the criers of this generation. Seattle is dealing with this right now and it's biting them in the ass. They increased the minimum wage (great, I understand) but continue to raise or add taxes to the people living in the city of Seattle...makes no sense.

35years

Gravy route
I have heard that UPS is bumping up the starting pt wage in many bldgs.
Peak was an absolute disaster in some places for lack of pt bodies.

Since UPS is now realizing this is needed to retain workers, I hope this will not become the "big issue" in the contract negotiations.

Why should we give concessions in return (on other issues) when UPS is raising the starting wage unilaterally?

This is where UPS wants to spend the money in the new contract. By doing it before contract time it will be difficult to lobby for them to spend the money elsewhere...(wage increases for long term full and part timers, shortening the progression, health, pension,and limiting excessive overtime etc.).

Notice that the voluntary wage increase expires on the contract expiration date.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That’s why we need the negotiating teams to bring this up... if you don’t think the Union is going to use this as leverage a person would be out of their mind... and they should be using it as a bargaining tool... absolutely.
But does ups care?

Places all over the country are having trouble hiring. Ups likely knows the part time starting wage has to increase. The teamsters will beat their chest like it's some huge victory all while ups gladly gives on the issue to take somewhere else.

35years

Gravy route
But does ups care?

Places all over the country are having trouble hiring. Ups likely knows the part time starting wage has to increase. The teamsters will beat their chest like it's some huge victory all while ups gladly gives on the issue to take somewhere else.

And they are doing it before the contract so pt will get used to the bump.
I am sure UPS also sees this as a tool to split the membership. Some locals get the increase, some don't.

Look for the following to happen before the contract vote...
-1 Physically isolate work groups in the AM by moving PCMs.
-2 One on one talks with drivers and management with the conversations subtly manipulated towards talking about competition, how much more we make etc.
-3 Breaking solidarity between drivers by physically spiting them, bad mouthing active union employees, morning meetings with only new hires present etc.
-4 Buddy-buddy attitude by management. They will be there in the P.M. now to shoot the breeze. They will buy lunch when they ride with you.

Please don't forget about this last peak (70 hr rule, forced Saturdays etc.)

Anything that breaks unity between union employees or strengthens management-employee relationships. Along with the sales pitch of skyrocketing healthcare and pension costs...more lower paid competition... will be the themes.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
But does ups care?

We’ll see...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Because the union looks less desirable if ups is willingly giving out a decent wage.

My best friend delivers beer. The owner of the company has stations all over the state his is the only one that is unionized. The other stations get better pay and benefits than his just to ensure none of them will try to unionize.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'm usually far against clever tinfoil hat theories (everyone is dumb or bluntly horrifying actually) But imagine UPS fighting against a universal 15/h wage, then blaming the union for not supporting wage increases everywhere "as a team"

Those dang unions never play fair pah!

DriverNerd

We have 4 local hubs with starting pay being raised to $15 hour (and all part time union members under that amount will be moved up to it) as of the 21st. HR talked us this morning about getting the word out. Yes, our hubs have staffing issues.