46 year old starting out as package handler

Well I did it, I made it my first week as a package handler and driver helper. I'll be honest its a great job, you just have to work, some of the younger people dont understand that. I don't want to sound noisy, but why does UPS need helpers, you guys make good money and it takes maybe 5 minutes, ok I know maybe more but your making overtime that is very, well you already know. I load a truck with 500 pieces its not hard. I have read that you guys have to get certain numbers out and upper management complains about someone working late.,But UPS will hire someone with no experience, and no training. Then the drivers have to train during peak season. Then packages get on wrong trucks. Looking at it from the outside its crazy what a big company will spend money on. Dont get me wrong I'm not downing UPS. IM no genius, but makes more sense to know the business and know the peak times.. But its probably some guy in a cubicle, never delivered anything.
Anyways time to get going, deliver boxes at mach speed. Hey what's up, helpers dont get hats, just a beanie... O ya the number crunchers.....

Well I did it, I made it my first week as a package handler and driver helper. I'll be honest its a great job, you just have to work, some of the younger people dont understand that. I don't want to sound noisy, but why does UPS need helpers, you guys make good money and it takes maybe 5 minutes, ok I know maybe more but your making overtime that is very, well you already know. I load a truck with 500 pieces its not hard. I have read that you guys have to get certain numbers out and upper management complains about someone working late.,But UPS will hire someone with no experience, and no training. Then the drivers have to train during peak season. Then packages get on wrong trucks. Looking at it from the outside its crazy what a big company will spend money on. Dont get me wrong I'm not downing UPS. IM no genius, but makes more sense to know the business and know the peak times.. But its probably some guy in a cubicle, never delivered anything.
Anyways time to get going, deliver boxes at mach speed. Hey what's up, helpers dont get hats, just a beanie... O ya the number crunchers.....
We have helpers to reduce the cost of deliveries plus we don't have enough drivers to handle it all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
On some routes a helper just slows me down. On other routes a helper can save me a few hours easy.

No I'm not 70 yet that's geezer status. I'm just an old fart doing what he wants,whenever he wants. I will admit I might feel like an old geezer getting up at 2am and off at 3pm after its all over.
One more thing, I'm glad I found this sight. I got some good advise. Thanks

Anthonysg0113

No I'm not 70 yet that's geezer status. I'm just an old fart doing what he wants,whenever he wants. I will admit I might feel like an old geezer getting up at 2am and off at 3pm after its all over.
One more thing, I'm glad I found this sight. I got some good advise. Thanks
You can do whatever you want in this company. We've got a 72 year old driver, and he's still going. Don't let these naysayers get to you. They're the guys who are not happy with any route they have. Keep up the good work!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Have you ever taken LSD ?

MassWineGuy

You keep repeating the same lie. I DID hack it there. Never got fired, just got laid off when peak ended for the three years I endured there. Given a choice between UPS or FedEx Express, FedEx is definitely better to work for.

To the OP, I didn't mean to discourage you. By now you know what the story is. Just work your butt off, get along with drivers and maybe you'll get a job offer. Good luck.