5 commandments for using a helper

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Nov 16, 2015.

1. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

#1--Thou shalt make safety thy first concern.

On day 1, I always give my helper a 5 min lecture on staying safe. That means NO RUNNING, PERIOD. That means 100% use of the handrail when entering or exiting, no exceptions. That means that, if I screw up and start the engine before they have the seatbelt buckled, they are to YELL at me to STOP. We are in a HURRY, which means I dont have time to take them to the hospital if they get injured. There is always time to do the job safely, and no package is ever worth getting hurt or killed over.

#2 Thou shalt treat thine helper with respect.

I treat my helper as a teammate, not a slave. Out of necessity I must be the boss, but I dont have to be an ass about it. When instructing them what to do, I throw in a few "please's" and "thank you's" here and there to keep things friendly. I encourage them to be an extra set of eyes and to never be afraid to tell me if they think I am at the wrong address. I screw up sometimes, especially under peak season conditions, and I'm not afraid to admit it. My helper gets a "high five" if they call me on giving them the wrong package for the stop. Most importantly...if I am frustrated or upset with management or with the workload in general, I dont take it out on them. Its not the helpers fault that the load is crap or that my boss is a moron.

#3 Thou shalt see to it that thine helper is properly paid for their time

If you lack the willingess to pull over and take a 1/2 hour lunch and 15 min break....then at least allow your helper to do so. Or...dont enter a lunch at all on their time card. Whatever you do, make sure they are fully paid for every minute they spend working. They are barely making minimum wage, you make 4 or even 5 times what they do on OT, so dont screw them out of 15 minutes of pay just so that you can look better on a stupid report. I also give my helpers my phone # and instruct them to notify me of any payroll errors or shortages on their check. If my helper gets shorted, I make it my personal mission in life to find whoever is responsible and ride their ass like a dirty diaper if necessary until the problem gets corrected. For $9 an hour they shouldnt have to call a 1-800 number and argue about getting paid properly.

#4 Thou shalt not place unrealistic expectations upon thine helper

I've been a driver for 24 years. I know how to operate at the "UPS pace". A newly hired helper doesnt. They cant read my mind. What comes automatically to me is new to them. They probably have little or no useful DIAD training, and the first day on a blown-out package car can seem overwhelming to them. Be patient. They will pick things up faster if you are understanding and helpful instead of impatient and critical. Respect any physical limits your helper may have. I have had 100 lb gals who needed my help with heavy packages, but who were still going strong after 10 hrs and were far better helpers than the "he-men" with big muscles who got lazy and crapped out on me after 4 or 5. And if you have a female helper who needs more "bathroom stops" than you do...deal with it. I always communicate with my helper about the location of nearby restrooms, and if they gotta go they gotta go. It is totally inappropriate to expect a helper of either gender to pee in the bushes or go 8 hrs with no bathroom break just because you can.

#5 Thou shalt share thine tips and buy thine helper lunch.

Helpers are making barely more than minimum wage. Drivers make 5 times that much on overtime. If I have a helper who is hustling and working hard, then the occasional $5 or $10 bill that comes to me in a card from a customer gets handed to them. When we stop at a restraunt for lunch, I pick up the tab for both of us. I have had a lot of helpers who were literally broke (why else would they work for minimum wage) and they show up with some nasty cold lunch in a brown bag. I am not going to sit in a warm restraunt and eat yummy food while they sit in the cold truck and eat leftovers. That's not teamwork.

Thou shalt obey these commandments without question, or karma will kick your ass!
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I tried to bump this from the original post, but it was too old so I just copied it and restarted the thread.
  3. HardknocksUPSer

HardknocksUPSer Well-Known Member

Love these commandments, rule #1 i am on the fence about as far as no running is concerned, I'm ready to get done and go home ASAP after working preload that morning, if I don't run I get no sleep before preload the next morning.
  4. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

I have even gone as far as to give my helper gas money to make sure they will make it the following day.(if they were worthy of it)
  5. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

Yeah, from what I've seen they are usually flat broke. Not only do they often not have a car meaning I have to pick then up at their house everyday, but one's I've had didn't even have cell phones. I've had to communicate with a third party (relative) in order to just set a p/u time. And of course, no cash on hand for lunch and no packed lunch because they didn't have food in the house either.

You compare that to what we're making, the helper should keep ALL the tips.
  6. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Commandment number6. Tell your helper about the brown cafe. Tell them to come here and start a bunch of helper threads.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 mouth breathers...everywhere

Yea...then they can post on the clock all day long like some of the drivers do ....all the while they complain about how "busy" they are....lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. hellfire

hellfire no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

If my helper doesnt run its off to the next one
  9. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Any driver of Who posts on the clock is taking a chance that's not worth it. I hope there isn't many who really do it. Helpers who cares.
  10. hellfire

11. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Taking a chance of posting on the clock and getting caught isn't a good look. Most people are very anonymous unlike myself. The management in my area is usually pretty caught up to speed what my name is on here. Most don't roll like that which is probably a good idea. I will also add that I have figured out quite a lot of people's identities on this site. If I can do it so can corporate and management. There are a lot of people who have been terminated from posting on Facebook Twitter Instagram and yes hellfire the brown cafe.

It's never in anyone's best interests to post on the clock when they are working and being paid by ups or any employer.
  12. hellfire

where did this come from?
  13. rod

rod retired and happy

They can't be all that broke or Obama would have given them a free cell phone.
  14. Grey

Grey Active Member

I'm trying to find a helper who has DIAD experience. It's too hard to train them to use it.
  15. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

I also tell helpers that I won't make them walk a driveway that I wouldn't walk.
  16. Scottyhawk

Scottyhawk What is it? A brown box. Duh

How about the don't close the door as soon as you sit down commandment when it is not even cold outside
  17. Lead Belly

Lead Belly BANNED

Your mom?
  18. scratch

scratch Least Best Moderator Staff Member

I get off my tail and deliver stops too, I can't stand staying in the cab all day. I try to get as many stops on the left side that I can if I have my deliveries sorted and ready to go. I encourage my Helper all day too, some kind words go a long way. I work the crap out of people, but I treat them with respect.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  19. jumpman23

jumpman23 Oh Yeah

Same here, everything to the left i hit and everything to the right he hits. Make better time that way when 2 people are delivering. Some of these dumby drivers dont get that if you make your jumper deliver everything your not going to make as good on time. Some have the mentality that if it gets done, it gets done n if it dont it dont. Id rather get every stop done that day. I hope they realize that the stops they dont get done that day will be on there tomorrow anyway and youll be that much heavier lol. Dont get me wrong if they have a absolutely retarded amount of stops on there that i know isnt going to get done then i will have the mentality of oh well lol. Have only had to bring back stops 1 time in 16 years n that was because of running out of hours on a friday night cause i would have went over 60 hours.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  20. Gear

Gear Parts on Order

You don't seem like the typical arrogant, self centered, "what about me" driver. Excellent post. Because in the end we ALL put our pants on one leg at a time. You deserve new tires, and doors that open and close with 1 finger.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List