6 day work weeks, does that sound right ?

cwb425

I am a local sorter/cover driver. If I do not cover drive during the week I still have to go into the local sort and work Monday-Friday

when saturday comes they want me to drive air packages ( I hate driving on sat)

that means i am working 6 days a week. Can they force me to work 6 days a week if my job title is still a local sort part timer ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Where I am, I would say no, they can't force you to work Saturday as a 6th day in a work week provided it's not a day included in your bid.
If you choose to work, it would be at time and half here as well on your 6th click.
Might depend on regional and local supplemental language.
Ask your steward/BA to show you the applicable language.
If what I said applies, file for back pay on the time and a half.
It should retro back at least 90 days.
That should put a stop to it if you want out.
Again, your local union reps would better know the language in your area.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I believe in most areas Saturday Air driving is a bid position. Did they post a sheet asking for people to sign up for Saturdays?

cwb425

yes they did post a bid sheet. I didnt put my name on it ! they said I still have to drive sat air because im a cover driver and I drive air. therefore I am a air driver

Theichii

We didn't have a bid saturday position in our center, it rotated between me and another person to be fair unless i did or didn't want it (i was top of the tcd pole). So if you have seniority i guess it would be fair to say if you don't want to work you don't have to and let another person do it (at least that's how it was in our center.)

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I would talk to your Business agent, but in our franchise the only people that drive Saturdays are the ones that bid it. If no one bid the position and they have to force someone that should be the lowest seniority person that is qualified and would not be on overtime.