$70 a share...sorry ,but im excited

gmann3000

hi i have a interview tomorrow for a unloader i took the tour with about 25 other people 3 days ago and this is the first interview with the hr. can any one give me any idea on what they will ask me and possibly how long will it take for them to hire me i really want this job thanx im so nervous :anxious:

fxdwg

Long Time Member
hi i have a interview tomorrow for a unloader i took the tour with about 25 other people 3 days ago and this is the first interview with the hr. can any one give me any idea on what they will ask me and possibly how long will it take for them to hire me i really want this job thanx im so nervous :anxious:

My Advice: Relax. Make Eye Contact and keep an upbeat demeanor and mean it. Good luck! UPS can become a wonderful career. Think in those terms!!!

rod

Retired 22 years
$.47 / share Dividend is one of the best on the big board. Everything else is very speculative. UPS is safe, secure, and predicible.

well 2 out of 3 ain't bad---------------------------------------------or is it 1 out of 3

Safe and secure ---one can hope so
predicible----------- no way

death and taxes - those are "for sure" -- not UPS stock or any other stock

JMO:peaceful:

satellitedriver

I buy UPS discount stock, through weekly payroll, for one simple reason.
It is my piggy bank stock.
The day I retire I will cash it in, and plan to piss it off in any manner I choose to celebrate my new life.
I do not even account my UPS stock in my net worth.
The new dividend raise is cool, but for long term growth????????
I maybe a fool, but some of my stocks have increased 300 to 500%.. with higher dividends than when UPS IPO'd .
The majority of my portfolio has grown 40% in the last two years.
Sadly,
UPS stock is only as good as it's dividend.

SWORDFISH

Welcome to BC captain random.:peaceful:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I can start. How about not interupting peoples conversations to ask your question? There is a search function in this forum, us it wisely.

clueless

What discipline did the person in charge of this program receive? They made stupid decisions like these, wasted billions of dollars, and drew (and continue to draw?) a huge salary. A driver gets a couple DR claims and get disciplined while this group makes a ton of money and wastes a bunch of our money. The way I see it I had my salary frozen for a year, lost my 401(k) match, etc, because these guys threw billions down the drain. Sorry for the rant but these guys are underperformers and I want to know who is holding them accountable.

Actually, the BOD members are the ones responsible for the buyback program and it's been in place for some time (since April 2000 at the latest). I only went back a few years--these snippets are from the 10-K's since the IPO in 1999:

We announced a share repurchase program on April 20, 2000 under which we would utilize up to the remaining $1.2 billion not used in the tender offer. As of December 31, 2000, approximately $105 million remained available for share repurchases.

As part of our continuing share repurchase program, $1.0 billion was authorized for share repurchases in February 2002, of which $705 million was still available as of December 31, 2002.

In May 2004, a total of $1.0 billion was authorized for share repurchases as part of our continuing share repurchase program.

In October 2004, the Board of Directors authorized an increase in our share repurchase program to a total of $2.0 billion, which superceded any previous remaining share repurchase authorization.

In August 2005, the Board of Directors authorized an increase in our share repurchase program of $2.0 billion.

In February 2007, the Board of Directors approved an increase in our share repurchase authorization to $2.0 billion. This amount replaced the remaining authority available under the previously authorized $2.0 billion share repurchase program approved in July 2006.

On October 30, 2007, the Board of Directors approved an increase in our share repurchase authorization to $2.0 billion, which replaced the remaining amount available under our February 2007 share repurchase authorization.

In January 2008, the Board of Directors approved an increase in our share repurchase authorization to $10.0 billion

Why are they doing all these buy backs?

Share buybacks are done for a number of reasons and accomplish a number of things--first of all. by reducing the number of shares outstanding, it immediately raises eps for current shareholders and creates demand for the stock (this alone should drive up pps). Secondly, in the case of a company which issues stock options, grants, etc as part of compensation, share repurchases offset the dilutive effect of those actions. Thirdly, it signals the market that the company feels their stock is a good investment (i.e, not overvalued and potentially undervalued).

This was taken from the last 10-K filed:

Our financial strength gives us the resources ... to return value to our shareowners in the form of dividends and share repurchases....

...We currently intend to repurchase shares in 2010 at a rate that should approximately offset the dilution from our stock compensation programs...

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
Actually, the BOD members are the ones responsible for the buyback program and it's been in place for some time (since April 2000 at the latest). I only went back a few years--these snippets are from the 10-K's since the IPO in 1999:

The BOD authorized the program but the individuals that execute it are responsible for getting the best value for our dollars. The board didn't tell them to go spend as much as possible for the shares. While still authorized to spend billions on repurchases and the stock in the 30s, 40s, and 50s, they bought almost nothing. Why? What did they do with the cash instead?

but 365 days is better...... stock is at $70.70 today...... nice

Why is 365 days better. Suppose I had 1000 shares and sold them today at $70.70, and if the price dropped to $70.00 tomorrow and I bought them back, who would be $700 richer and still own the same amount of stock!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At $70/share a $.47 dividend is roughly .67%. With most brokerage firms charging up to $25 per trade, is making these transactions 4 times per year really worth it?

deleted9

Why is 365 days better. Suppose I had 1000 shares and sold them today at $70.70, and if the price dropped to $70.00 tomorrow and I bought them back, who would be $700 richer and still own the same amount of stock!

I am not a finance guy, I am sure there is a lot of different ways to move the stock around, I am old school, I believe in the company and have done extremely well because of it.

clueless

While still authorized to spend billions on repurchases and the stock in the 30s, 40s, and 50s, they bought almost nothing. Why? What did they do with the cash instead?

The reason they pulled back on the buybacks is stated in the filings--this is from the 10Q for Q1 2009:

As a result of the uncertain economic environment, we have slowed our share repurchase activity during the first quarter of 2009. We currently intend to repurchase shares in 2009 at a rate that will at least offset the dilution from our stock compensation programs.

Later in the year, apparently the company became more cautious and the words 'at least' were removed--this is from the 10-Q filing for Q2 2009:

As a result of the uncertain economic environment, we have slowed our share repurchase activity. We currently intend to repurchase shares in 2009 at a rate that should approximately offset the dilution from our stock compensation programs.

Expect more of the same for this year:

As a result of the uncertain economic environment, we have slowed our share repurchase activity. We currently intend to repurchase shares in 2010 at a rate that should approximately offset the dilution from our stock compensation programs.

Additionally, you can see by the actual history of buybacks that the sudden diminution of repurchases began with the onset of the economic meltdown in the fall of 2008:

July 1 – July 31, 2008 5.4 M shares @ $60.20
August 1 – August 31, 2008 3.9 M shares @ $64.52
September 1 – September 30, 2008 3.6 M shares @ $65.64

October 1—October 31, 2008 3.3 M shares @ $49.73
November 1—November 30, 2008 1.0 M shares @ $52.56
December 1—December 31, 2008 0.8 M shares @ $54.25

January 1 – January 31, 2009 0.8 M shares @ $50.09
February 1 – February 28, 2009 0.8 M shares @ $43.61
March 1 – March 31, 2009 0.9 M shares @ $42.93

While it's certainly frustrating that they didn't 'load the boat' when the prices were much lower, keeping in mind the credit markets had seized up and were basically frozen, the need to retain cash in the face of the greatest global financial crisis since the Great Depression was no doubt more important than timing the market in terms of share repurchases.

$.47 / share Dividend is one of the best on the big board. Everything else is very speculative. UPS is safe, secure, and predicible.

It is just less volatile. But why hold a large amount of shares for only about a 2.5% yearly return? You can easily get a 2% monthly return. This month I netted $695 selling 3-May 67.50 puts. Will go long with 300 shares if the price is under 67.50 at expiration at an average cost of 65.18. If I go long will sell June calls at the 65, 67.50, or 70 strikes. If the puts expire worthless will have made 3.4% over 30 days. In a normalized market UPS can net you no less than 20% a year.

deleted9

It is just less volatile. But why hold a large amount of shares for only about a 2.5% yearly return? You can easily get a 2% monthly return. This month I netted $695 selling 3-May 67.50 puts. Will go long with 300 shares if the price is under 67.50 at expiration at an average cost of 65.18. If I go long will sell June calls at the 65, 67.50, or 70 strikes. If the puts expire worthless will have made 3.4% over 30 days. In a normalized market UPS can net you no less than 20% a year.

Thanks for the info, I know quite a few people that have really taken a beaten with the covered calls, and yes I know people who have done well. Working with a finance guy on a few things.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
40,000 shares nets you $75,200 a year in dividends at the current level. For most people, that is a lot more than "just getting by". You must have expensive tastes....

rod

Retired 22 years
40,000 shares!!!!!! ---- sounds like someone is way over invested in UPS stock. I can't think of anyone I ever knew that had that many - except a few center manager's back when they used to hand them out like candy as a bonus at the end of the year.