705 Results

tieguy

Banned
It has been known the contract will expire on August 1st 2008 since?... Five years ago. If the people did not hear about it they must have no knowledge about the workings of their local or their contract, that is their fault. Ignorance is no excuse when the information is right in front of you.

How about a little honesty here Mike.

guess what the union also knew for five years. Plenty of time for them to organize a complete "strike authorization" vote to include all members.

Just proves the point that this "strike authorization" is nothing more then a negotiating tactic. Part of the games unions play to accomplish two things:

1) Market the contract talks to give the impression the union is busting the companys balls. This is meant to rally the guys like the toothless wonder in the video. Zero is trying to be a hero at the companys expense.

2) put pressure on the company by getting the customers worried.

We all know the strike authorization is nothing more then a formality. The day the unions negotiating committe already has the power to call a strike or to threaten to call a strike as they demonstrated last year with their 72 hour notice.

Since they already have the power then this "strike authorization" is nothing more then part of the games unions play.

Who are they playing these games with? The same company that will keep everyone employed and provide an excellent overall package to its employees while many companys will be cutting their people loose during this recession.

anyone notice that 705 has more then one "strike authorization" vote on their web page. Also shows the freight guys who do not want what is offered under national freight because well they are special and deserve more.

So again no unity with the rest of freight on the freight side.

and again no unity with the rest of the country on the small package side.

and again another strike authorization vote cause that company ain't negotiating in good faith either.

same tired rhetoric again. Same games being played again.

Tie
You sling propaganda like your playing a Stradivarius violin.
We should be so smart as to pool some cash and hire for our side.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IIRC- I got a 55.00 strike check.Not gonna go digging around the trunk for it.

That's all I got as well. I worked construction for 5 days. Got a whopping $253 for 46 hours of work. I hadn't worked that hard for that little in a long time. My child support was $250. I had $3 in my wallet. Ex handed me back $100.

Mike Hawk

Perhaps 705 thought the company would get their act together, instead of canceling meetings. If they knew ahead of time the company would drag their feet they probably would have voted earlier. The company stands to lose a lot of money on this strike, so it was not really possible to predict them taking this course of action.

Personally I hope this gets resolved some way without a strike, a strike is bad for everyone, but the majority of 705 that cared enough to vote thought working without a contract was worse.

BrownSuit

I surprising never saw a response to Hawaii50 on these issues and also would like to add my two cents.

How about losing your seniority if you go out on work comp?

If you go out on Workman’s comp, you should maintain your seniority when you return. You will not return to the same position and would have to wait until the next bidding period in order to gain a senior position to the one that you had prior to leaving. All UPS is required to do by law is to give you a similar job; they cannot keep the position open forever.

Also, you would not gain seniority while on Workmen’s comp.

How about cutting ftimers vacation to 40 hrs?

I’m confused here, how does one have more than 40 hours of vacation in a week’s time? There are very few companies that would allow this.

How about not going back to your job if your on fmla?

Same response to the Workmen’s comp question with a twist - FMLA is federally regulated and monitored. If you have situations where it is not occurring, skip the grievance process with the Union and report the company to the Department of Labor. There are HUGE fines involved for non-compliant companies.

You are not guaranteed to get the same route or exact area that you were working previously, just the same general job and responsibility. During the next bidding period, you should have the opportunity to bid into the same position or one similar in seniority. Think of both situations this way, Person B bids person A’s route while Person A is out on leave. Person A comes back, if person B had to give up the route, what happened to his seniority? He is then being punished for taking a route from somebody on leave.
Nobody would ever want to bid into a position for somebody on leave or Workman’s comp.

How about sitting at home on call for feeder as they work everyone upto 60 hours and you have not worked this week?

Are these feeder jobs working more than 60 hours? If not, are the individuals in question qualified to do the other jobs? Are they willing to do them? Has this been grieved through the entire process? Half the time things are thrown out that were never even grieved and it’s contract time, so let’s dig up old dirt on issues that were never brought to anybody’s attention.

How about suncontracting? Does this not concern you?

Suncontracting does bother me a lot. Subcontracting I’m not sure. Are these positions that others are qualified to fill? Have they been filled by Upsers in the past? There is quite a bit being outsourced these days from Customer Service to Delivery in other countries. What particularly is being contracted out and to whom?

In chicago an 8 hour work day is 8 hours, not 8.5!

I’m glad some things don’t change no matter where you go in the country. Do you care to elaborate?

If you get charged with a dui you can lose your job?

I LOVED this one and of course you saved the best for last. If your job requires that you are DOT qualified and you are charged with DUI/DWI, your ability to maintain your DOT status is in question. Ask those on your route who work for USPS/DHL/FedEx what happens to them if they get DWI/DUI. You are going to get the same answer. They get canned, no questions asked.

Yes FedEx is non-union and DHL is half and half, but USPS, if you think the Teamsters are the wrong union to be messing with, you haven't seen anything until you deal with a government employees union.

UPS can find alternate work, such as a handler, if they please, but in the industry, not just UPS, it is rarely done.

The same is true if you lose your license for excessive tickets. Don’t expect Uncle Brown to come around on this one.

Finally as for PTers making minimum wage presently. I keep hearing a different number; the one that’s most common is 6,000. I have several questions in this regard:

1. Is the Illinois Minimum Wage higher than the national?
2. Was the wage they are making now considered to be minimum wage two years ago?
3. What are the total benefits, including Healthcare, education, 401, etc, please be complete, that these employees are receiving in exchange for their work?
4. Any idea as to why these are PT employees? Are they seeking FT working, are they students, etc.

Mike Hawk

Brownsuit, about the FMLA loss of bid, not all centers have the once every two year bid, in mine once you win a bid it is yours until you vacate it. If you lost your route because you had a baby you would be a cover driver until you could bid on a route that someone else vacated. I think there are many small off the job injuries that happen that result in some off time, like a week. Those could be considered FMLA leaves and you would lose your bid route. That is where the problem in this lies.

brownman15

I surprising never saw a response to Hawaii50 on these issues and also would like to add my two cents.

If you go out on Workman’s comp, you should maintain your seniority when you return. You will not return to the same position and would have to wait until the next bidding period in order to gain a senior position to the one that you had prior to leaving. All UPS is required to do by law is to give you a similar job; they cannot keep the position open forever.

no u should return 2 your same job without loss of seniority especially if u have a bid job

I’m confused here, how does one have more than 40 hours of vacation in a week’s time? There are very few companies that would allow this.

we get 50 hrs straight time

Same response to the Workmen’s comp question with a twist - FMLA is federally regulated and monitored. If you have situations where it is not occurring, skip the grievance process with the Union and report the company to the Department of Labor. There are HUGE fines involved for non-compliant companies.

You are not guaranteed to get the same route or exact area that you were working previously, just the same general job and responsibility. During the next bidding period, you should have the opportunity to bid into the same position or one similar in seniority. Think of both situations this way, Person B bids person A’s route while Person A is out on leave. Person A comes back, if person B had to give up the route, what happened to his seniority? He is then being punished for taking a route from somebody on leave.
Nobody would ever want to bid into a position for somebody on leave or Workman’s comp.

no u should return back 2 your bid job

Suncontracting does bother me a lot. Subcontracting I’m not sure. Are these positions that others are qualified to fill? Have they been filled by Upsers in the past? There is quite a bit being outsourced these days from Customer Service to Delivery in other countries. What particularly is being contracted out and to whom?

feeder jobs are being subcontracted 2 non-union companys

I LOVED this one and of course you saved the best for last. If your job requires that you are DOT qualified and you are charged with DUI/DWI, your ability to maintain your DOT status is in question. Ask those on your route who work for USPS/DHL/FedEx what happens to them if they get DWI/DUI. You are going to get the same answer. They get canned, no questions asked.

no u should return back 2 yor driving job when u get your license back. then better apply this 2 management 2 we would lose about half of them in my area

Finally as for PTers making minimum wage presently. I keep hearing a different number; the one that’s most common is 6,000. I have several questions in this regard:

will be soon

2. Was the wage they are making now considered to be minimum wage two years ago?
no but starting wage has only gone up $.50 in 20 years

3. What are the total benefits, including Healthcare, education, 401, etc, please be complete, that these employees are receiving in exchange for their work?
they should not have 2 wait 1 to 3 years to get it

4. Any idea as to why these are PT employees? Are they seeking FT working, are they students, etc.
a lot of them them waiting 2 go in 2 22.3 jobs

705red

Browncafe Steward

You can get contract language differs from state and federal laws. When you bid a package route here it is yours until you bid to another, move up into feeder, retire, quit or get fired. Currently our language maintains these rights.

You dont lose seniority when your on comp, your seniority is your first day worked in that center, not the first day after returning from comp.

Are you aware that we get paid 50 hours vacation right now? If you would like to work me 8 hours a day when im at work i will except your 40 hours of vacation pay!

You will win in front of the republican run labor board against big business. Next you will tell me to call osha when i see safety concerns in the building!

You are not allowed to bid onto someones route when they are on comp, fmla or disabilty as it is now. You are guaranteed your route when you return from any of the above as it is right now.

Are these feeder jobs working more than 60 hours? If not, are the individuals in question qualified to do the other jobs? Are they willing to do them? Has this been grieved through the entire process? Half the time things are thrown out that were never even grieved and it’s contract time, so let’s dig up old dirt on issues that were never brought to anybody’s attention.

You are not laid off so you can not bump down, you are now a feeder driver that is on call working your way up. Whats there to grieve? Its not current language. At least were i am from in chicago you can only grieve current contract language. Have you ever heard of anyone that grieved language thats under negotiations and not present day language? To answer your last question its been brought to ups's attention this last sunday by 3,230 people voting.

Why are you comparing what happens in somalia to present day chicago ups work? I dont care how its done in ireland this contract represents american teamsters. Maybe when we get this contract settled we will fly over there to organize and drink a guiness. Sending drivers home during peak with available hours wheil subcontractors are moving our work for instance.

I’m glad some things don’t change no matter where you go in the country. Do you care to elaborate?

Yes FedEx is non-union and DHL is half and half, but USPS, if you think the Teamsters are the wrong union to be messing with, you haven't seen anything until you deal with a government employees union.

UPS can find alternate work, such as a handler, if they please, but in the industry, not just UPS, it is rarely done.

The same is true if you lose your license for excessive tickets. Don’t expect Uncle Brown to come around on this one.

When you get charged you are still not found guilty yet! This is america and until your found guilty you are innocent. Now brown wants you to sit out even though your not guilty and wont even provide you with inside work. Your license is still good and you can still drive because the american court system has not found you guilty.

Now if your found guilty, i believe ups has the right to enroll you in an sap program, but not if your innocent.

Spring it will be $8.25 an hour.

Spring it will be $8.25 an hour.
It was $8 an hour in 1982 went upto $8.50 in 97 and is sstill crap. What was minimum wage in the 80s and 90s compared to today?
For the first year 0 in medical, Depends on were you are for education ups offers different plans depending on what building you are out of, ups does not match our 401k so thats a big 0

Shouldnt these be questions you ask at orientation? Didnt you sell the public in 97 that ptimers wanted to be partimers? When alot of us actually wanted 1 good paying job and were waiting our turn at it.

Its obvious that you are not in the operations inside ups, because you would know that you dont always get the best canidates for the job with staring salaries less than what the burger flipper at mcdonalds receives.

Any more questions you can go to our website and read the contract proposals.
I havent had much time to read so hawaii i do apoligze for missing your post and will look for it after i write ups on another 25 picket signs.

ogrelord

Ground Down
Are you guys, looking at 12 months to gain benfits, and 18 months for the family? for new PT workers?

thank god it was only 90 days for me to wait.

FromBluetoBrown

My mom works for the post office as a carrier and alot of the carriers there have multiple DUIs. Some of them cant drive home at the end of the day unless they blow into that thing on their car. And the postal workers union is a joke well at least in the post office my mom works at. Her shop steward is in bed with management. You come in with the wrong color underwear and you are out of a job.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have seen some bad production PR in my life, but this might be one of the worst.
Building energy with jerky video and decades old music, just ain't gonna cut it.
Maybe you can post the video of you slithering under your brothers and sisters picket line in 97. We can compare quality, 3,230 upsers doing the right thing, or 1 being selfish.

R

roseeded

Good job Chicago....way to go...what are you agreeing to strike for again...supervisors doing work, PTers low starting wage rate, PT v FT seniority for vacations and bidding...

Don't you have better things to worry about? Are you getting compensated fairly or not overall - YES! Is the company struggling with costs and looking to affect only the unborns - YES!

Let the company find ways to find people that want to work here...let them have the starting wage proposed and let them figure out when and if they must supplement wages with our enticements like signing bonuses to man their buildings and routes...or pay their sups to work instead of manage....

This is what you are arguing about...used to be striking was about serious safety concerns or lack of fair benefits ...You want to strike for such trivial things...you gambled by not joining the nma, and are going to lose.... Good job Chicago!

satellitedriver

Maybe you can post the video of you slithering under your brothers and sisters picket line in 97. We can compare quality, 3,230 upsers doing the right thing, or 1 being selfish.
I thought you posted Chicago had control 12,000 Upsers?
Where are the other 75%?
Slither? Not even close.
Quality, at least I groom myself before a photo shoot.
You posted earlier that you took pride in being selfish.
Oh thats right, you were being selfish for someone else.
Go ahead and strike, it will make you feel better and a lot of other non UPSER's will suffer for your greed.