710, 705?

Ron Carey lives on

Low vote turnouts are not solely placed on members. Uninformed members is a big problem. Workshops about proposals is vital. Stewards included in negotiations. Principal officers should rely rank and file input, and be transparent

Sent using BrownCafe App

Re-Raise

I am not sure why most of these comments are about low voter turnout.

I am in 710. We overwhelmingly voted the contract down. Mostly because of the change in healthcare and the increase in the premiums for retiree healthcare.

Then we find out our union leadership is crooked. Apathy by the members didn't cause any of this. We have been robbed by the people we are supposed to trust to represent our interests.

Avalon

Avalon
I am not sure why most of these comments are about low voter turnout.

I am in 710. We overwhelmingly voted the contract down. Mostly because of the change in healthcare and the increase in the premiums for retiree healthcare.

Then we find out our union leadership is crooked. Apathy by the members didn't cause any of this. We have been robbed by the people we are supposed to trust to represent our interests.

I understood the turn out was less than half of the membership. Maybe overwhelmingly voted down but regardless, the overall turnout of ballots was pretty low.

710 steward

jpf,

That's correct and our monthly September meeting has been canceled unfortunately. To a point I understand why the meeting will not happen. It would have been a packed house of extremely upset members and honestly who knows how much would have been accomplished. The flip side is that meeting is inevitable so why not let it happen immediately.

As I have repeatedly said on this board this group has so much more than the UPS contract to deal with. Like it or not these are the cards we have been dealt. Right now I am neutral on what is going on. My guess is they are still digging out all of the wrong doing of the past and trying to move forward for tomorrow. That's not easy to do when a bunch of snakes ran our local.

What is happening is going to require patience and my guess is this will take a year or two to finally dig out of. I realize I have beat this into the ground but all fault lies at Flynn's and his followers feet. All frustration in my opinion, needs to aimed in that direction. After all if he isn't a thieving lying POS this local isn't in the position we are now. Hang in there and try not to let this get to you. We have zero control right now.

Ron Carey lives on

Have your own meeting without Coli. You guys have the numbers. You have got to stick together, and decide whats best for the 710 members. Does Coli even know what 710 concerns are?

Sent using BrownCafe App

ski or die

Ski or Die
Think about that statement. Coli was appointed by Hoffa. Most likely his concerns are only Hoffa's wishes. Time will tell, but by then it could follow the path of Louisville and Pennsylvania.

710 steward

Have your own meeting without Coli. You guys have the numbers. You have got to stick together, and decide whats best for the 710 members. Does Coli even know what 710 concerns are?

Sent using BrownCafe App

RCLO,

Not knowing you in any way, do you know how much territory 710 covers? It's huge to say the least. They have the entire state of Illinois except Chicago which is 705. They also cover part of Indiana and I believe a small part of Iowa. Getting people together is big project. Don't get me wrong, I agree there are power in numbers.

Another problem we have is a very small fraction of the membership is obsessed with trying to get Flynn and Paulie back in office. They don't care about the theft and want there guys back in at any cost. This is a big problem because these folks a delusional about what can and will happen going forward. As long as these people are distracted and trying to distract others there is less focus on what is happening within our local currently.

My retired fellow steward is in my opinion correct. This has a forced contract situation written all over it. Coli for better or worse answers to Hoffa and Hoffa wants this to end as quickly as possible. Right now the IRB is playing the waiting game. They aren't even trying to schedule talks for 710. It's awfully hard to negotiate a new contract when no one is talking to each other. Neither side is worrying about it and all signs point toward a "best interest of 710" ruling sometime in our future. I could be wrong and hope I am but I don't believe that will be the case.

Ron Carey lives on

Just want the best for 710 members, I understand its a big local covering a large area. I just dont understand why the ibt or tdu is not acknowledging you guys are working under a extended contract. Enjoy your insurance while you can, teamcare is a complete cluster----

Sent using BrownCafe App

710 steward

Just want the best for 710 members, I understand its a big local covering a large area. I just dont understand why the ibt or tdu is not acknowledging you guys are working under a extended contract. Enjoy your insurance while you can, teamcare is a complete cluster----

Sent using BrownCafe App

As a steward for 710, thank you. We all want the best for all Teamsters. New leadership should fix the healthcare fiasco in the next contract. Time will tell but we will stand with greater united numbers next contract and UPS knows it.

Atomic_Smurf

As a steward for 710, thank you. We all want the best for all Teamsters. New leadership should fix the healthcare fiasco in the next contract. Time will tell but we will stand with greater united numbers next contract and UPS knows it.
Is new leadership going to call for the repeal the new healthcare law? That would have to be the first step to restoring our insurance to what it once was. Otherwise the "transition" away from employer coverage through legalized price gouging will continue regardless of who in running our union.

710 steward

Is new leadership going to call for the repeal the new healthcare law? That would have to be the first step to restoring our insurance to what it once was. Otherwise the "transition" away from employer coverage through legalized price gouging will continue regardless of who in running our union.

That's assuming nothing will change in the upcoming years. Time will tell.

ski or die

Ski or Die
The healthcare law does not have to be repealed. If the company is continuing to be very profitable, the next contract can increase the contributions to the health care plan to provide better insurance.

Atomic_Smurf

The healthcare law does not have to be repealed. If the company is continuing to be very profitable, the next contract can increase the contributions to the health care plan to provide better insurance.

I don't think you understand the nature of the Democrats health care law. It is designed to increase the burden on employer plans and union plans over time until it simply becomes "unsustainable". At that point they will pay the employer mandate fine (I like to call it an opt-out fee) & dump workers on the Obamacare exchanges to buy insurance. The ACA's incentive for employers to dump employees on the exchanges isn't a loophole as some like to say. It is a strategy.