8 hour request

Jim Kemp

If a driver request two 8 hour days and they are granted but they don't get off in 8 hours, for whatever reasons, on either can they request two more for that month?

Buck Fifty

In our contract you get a 2 hr penalty at reg time, and suppose to get the extra day for each one they violate. Good luck with the extra day though. The slightest delay in the process makes it very convoluted and hard to track. Hopefully the new contract brings a much stiffer penalty !!!

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Our local is of the opinion that if the 8 hour request isn't honoured that it dosen't count. I have one in for this Friday and i'm very curious if the center manager would rather pay two hours of Penalty Pay

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
That's how it is in our hub. If you request 8 and they fail to grant it to you after it was approved, not only do you file the grievance, but you get to request another 8 hour day. So if you had 2 in, and both were not granted then you should get 2 more to use, and get your penalty pay for them not honoring your requests

Johney

That's how it is in our hub. If you request 8 and they fail to grant it to you after it was approved, not only do you file the grievance, but you get to request another 8 hour day. So if you had 2 in, and both were not granted then you should get 2 more to use, and get your penalty pay for them not honoring your requests
I find that a bit hard to believe. Not that it isn't true where you are, but I can't see them paying you penalty(grievance) and then give you another 8 hour request.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I find that a bit hard to believe. Not that it isn't true where you are, but I can't see them paying you penalty(grievance) and then give you another 8 hour request.

Why can't you see that? I request the 8 hour day, they approve it and then fail to live up to what they promised. Since they did not give me my 8 hour day, I retain it. I ALSO am able to file a grievance against the company for failing to provide me with what we had agreed to.

I will also put in 8 hour requests, just to submit them even when I have no need for an early day. Last year I did it, and went home nearly every time because they could never dispatch the routes at 8 or less. This year, however is a new year and new style by me. I will request my 8 and will not go home because they can't facilitate my request, and I will make sure to get my penalty pay from them :)

Johney

Why can't you see that? I request the 8 hour day, they approve it and then fail to live up to what they promised. Since they did not give me my 8 hour day, I retain it. I ALSO am able to file a grievance against the company for failing to provide me with what we had agreed to.

I will also put in 8 hour requests, just to submit them even when I have no need for an early day. Last year I did it, and went home nearly every time because they could never dispatch the routes at 8 or less. This year, however is a new year and new style by me. I will request my 8 and will not go home because they can't facilitate my request, and I will make sure to get my penalty pay from them :)
I won't argue with you, if you say you're getting that then good for you. You're getting your cake and eating it too. Just don't be surprised if it suddenly ends. I work in a pretty easy going center, but I assure you we do not get that type of luxury.We get the 8 hour and if they blow it we get penalty or another 8 not both.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have 30 drivers in my center. If each of us are allowed to submit 2 8 hour requests each month that would be 60 requests. Let's further assume that there are 20 working days per month---this would mean that there would be 3 8 hour requests on any given day. Mondays and Fridays are the preferred days for these requests. I just don't see how it is possible to both pay the penalty pay and allow an additional 8 hour request, especially for a small center such as the one I work in.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We have 30 drivers in my center. If each of us are allowed to submit 2 8 hour requests each month that would be 60 requests. Let's further assume that there are 20 working days per month---this would mean that there would be 3 8 hour requests on any given day. Mondays and Fridays are the preferred days for these requests. I just don't see how it is possible to both pay the penalty pay and allow an additional 8 hour request, especially for a small center such as the one I work in.
You're using extremes, here I can count the number of drivers that properly request a 8hr day on two hands, of which one hand would actually file if it didn't get approved. When I mean properly, if they fail to do their end of the request, such as writing it 7 days beforehand, the grievance would be lost. My center has over 120 routes, not to mention the Marietta center which is in the same building with about 90.

The problem comes when you're a "needed" driver and request vs a "extra" driver. Neither of which you have to worry about if you can put on your big boy pants and use the procedure to request the 8 and go through with grieving if you are denied without contract considerations.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

Good for you to change your attitude on not going home when they fail to approve it. I was going to say that exact same thing till I read one sentence later. I will also predict that you will no longer be denied and they'll adjust your route if they know beforehand you won't go home and you'll file if they fail to live up to their agreement. Your neighbors might be pissed that they got a split off you, perhaps they'll learn to do it the right way also, or they can continue to complain.

Buck Fifty

Every single driver should use their 2 8 hr request each and every month period . I preach it at my center and they fill it up for the most part. I say screw Fridays and hello to Mondays.you are suppose to receive the penalty pay and the extra 8hr day, but it is nearly impossible to keep up with because of the process.(the company knew this) New contract will double the penalty and take the extra day out. $60 no holler now. double it and put me on the roof !!! Cha-Ching !!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know my local must be really weird but we get 3 a month and after 8 hours u bring back what u have left and its their problem.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
So you submit the 8 hour request hoping that it will be denied?

I submitted one for next friday and figure however the scenario plays out I win

A) I am off the clock no later than 8.5 hours on a Friday

B) Volume stays sky high and the request is denied. I work OT and file for 2 hours of penalty pay and still have two Eight Hour Requests for the month of January

If you have an eight hour and you don't get off in eight hours and you don't have the balls to bring it in then your ass better file a grievance. If you do t have the stones at least let your union do its job. Remember they aren't mind readers. They can't be everywhere and know everything. Grow the set and help me brother. I need help.

BCFan

Ok here is the real deal.....one month I got 20 hours of penalty (10 requests) because dumb butt center manager thought he could pay two penalties and be done with my stuff....boy was he surprised that I got the two hours for every ony that I asked for..after that while he was in center when I asked for a 8 I usually got off in 7 hours....DM chewed his butt so bad he hadda carry his drawers in a paper bag.......BC

packageguy

If a driver request two 8 hour days and they are granted but they don't get off in 8 hours, for whatever reasons, on either can they request two more for that month?

so far our center manager has been very fair, we have a couple of guys hit with storm sandy they needed early days and days off. We all did the right thing we worked around there days off.