8years with the company I got fired for marijuana use

AARod626

UPS fired me for consuming marijuana before I went in to work. It was in property. I stated I was dealing with an addiction and needed help. Despite rumors of “potheads” I have management and co workers who know and will attest to me being a very hard worker, a team player, always with a smile and good attitude always willing to help, and over all a good person. They stated even with a grievance hearing they would not accept me back. Anyone ever been in this situation before how’d it turn out my union rep says it’s not for sure but he/she is sure they can get my job back but that it was going to take time. Any advice other then I have already quit using and am looking into MA classes for help with my addiction

UPS fired me for consuming marijuana before I went in to work. It was in property. I stated I was dealing with an addiction and needed help. Despite rumors of “potheads” I have management and co workers who know and will attest to me being a very hard worker, a team player, always with a smile and good attitude always willing to help, and over all a good person. They stated even with a grievance hearing they would not accept me back. Anyone ever been in this situation before how’d it turn out my union rep says it’s not for sure but he/she is sure they can get my job back but that it was going to take time. Any advice other then I have already quit using and am looking into MA classes for help with my addiction
Did they test you?

AARod626

Did they test you?
Yes they did they gave me to options to resign or go through with testing and if I came out positive it was a automatic termination they were trying to force me to resign but I want to keep my job with them but since they “seen me” smoking on property that rehab was out of the question ima about to file a grievance also wanted help on wording my grievance correctly

Yes they did they gave me to options to resign or go through with testing and if I came out positive it was a automatic termination they were trying to force me to resign but I want to keep my job with them but since they “seen me” smoking on property that rehab was out of the question ima about to file a grievance also wanted help on wording my grievance correctly
I can see being under the influence and you admit to having a problem, then they let you go to rehab. But smoking marijuana on property is another story.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Isn’t there a whole article/section in the contract stating the procedures for this? Something like multiple people have to notice a smell...or you acting weird. I could be wrong but I’m certain that I was surprised when I saw it take up 5ish pages in the contract book.

I wish you luck.

542thruNthru

Isn’t there a whole article/section in the contract stating the procedures for this? Something like multiple people have to notice a smell...or you acting weird. I could be wrong but I’m certain that I was surprised when I saw it take up 5ish pages in the contract book.

Its definitely a HUGE section of the NMA lol.

AARod626

I wish you luck.
I’m going to have to check

AARod626

I never viewed it as a problem honestly. Been smoking most of my life. Been a hard worker sweated kore then and worked harder then most people who went in sober. Not justifying anything. Just saying. It’s been normalized into my life I never viewed or seen it as a problem until this happened. A big eye opener but because of my work ethic I just never thought it would be a problem

rod

Retired 22 years
I don't think our pre-loaders were into getting smoked up that early in the morning. They all seemed to be pretty level headed. Now the evening crew---that was a whole different ball game.

rod

Retired 22 years
Our pre-loaders were basically making the same per hour as drivers,
they had mostly all been there a long time, so I think there was a little more incentive to stay employed.