'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

Overpaid Union Thug

UPS' first offer was insulting. They did offer a bit more after their "final" offer but not much. I think UPS wanted a confrontation to weaken the union. Maybe they expected the union to back down but with how much Carey hated UPS that was never going to happen.
I agree but what I'm saying, or trying to, is that people having been kicking the idea around that Carey was on the war path for a strike regardless of what UPS offered. And he was the very definition of a disgruntled worker.

That's just what I've heard and read from people on both sides that where around at the time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS offered a seven year deal with $.30 raises on even years and bonuses on odd ones. That equates to a $.90 base increase starting in 2004. With the strike we received a $2.10 base increase by 2002 plus another $1.50 the first two years after our negotiated 5 yr deal from '97-'02. That's $3.60 minus their offered $.90 = $2.70 per hour over their "reasonable" offer and they still turned record profits.
Someone mistakenly said you were good with money...

My recollection includes profit sharing.

oldupsman

I agree but what I'm saying, or trying to, is that people having been kicking the idea around that Carey was on the war path for a strike regardless of what UPS offered. And he was the very definition of a disgruntled worker.

That's just what I've heard and read from people on both sides that where around at the time.
Our building couldn't wait to walk. I'll rephrase that. We certainly weren't afraid of walking. Most of the time
we were grilling and drinking. And in fact management really wanted no one to cross the picket line.
They knew what would happen when we came back. A couple who tried were told to forget it.
My recollection includes profit sharing.
That sort of sticks in my head too. But I forget how it was suppose to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of the guys who did walk the line were pretty chill about it; however, there were a couple who felt they had to act the fool and left the company shortly after returning to work.

One of our on-cars at the time had been a driver for 15 years and strongly discouraged anyone who was even thinking about crossing from doing so.

We did have one driver who wanted to leave the union and start paying the agency fee. He also left shortly after the strike.

10 point

Our building couldn't wait to walk. I'll rephrase that. We certainly weren't afraid of walking. Most of the time
we were grilling and drinking. And in fact management really wanted no one to cross the picket line.
They knew what would happen when we came back. A couple who tried were told to forget it.

That sort of sticks in my head too. But I forget how it was suppose to work.
Performance based.

10 point

If Carey "wanted to strike the company" I can tell you that the company made it easy for him to validate walking with the pathetic first offer.... including "performance based raises and compensation. Based on their "standards" of course.
It smacked of the garbage that FedEx Ground drivers have put up with.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If Carey "wanted to strike the company" I can tell you that the company made it easy for him to validate walking with the pathetic first offer.... including "performance based raises and compensation. Based on their "standards" of course.
It smacked of the garbage that FedEx Ground drivers have put up with.
I don't remember it being that much different/worse than the other "first offers". All first offers are "bad".
Ever bought a car?
The last one I bought the list price was $28,900 and since the buyer never, ever makes the first offer, he offered me a price of $26,000.
I left with the car at $22,500.

First Offers always suck.

10 point

I don't remember it being that much different/worse than the other "first offers". All first offers are "bad".
Ever bought a car?
The last one I bought the list price was $28,900 and since the buyer never, ever makes the first offer, he offered me a price of $26,000.

The whole thing sucked.
Kelly and Carey were seemingly always battling it out and Carey fought hard for members but the animosity that was (and often still exists) so prevalent between the hourly and management made it easy for the work stoppage to precipitate.

HMOs , performance based compensation, and the lack of solid language protection were issues that were totally opposite of what members wanted.

Inthegame

Ever bought a car?

First offer? On the last day before expiration? They must have had lots of fun with you in the corporate lunchroom.
Did that car you bought come with an engine?

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
First offer? On the last day before expiration? They must have had lots of fun with you in the corporate lunchroom.
Did that car you bought come with an engine?
2007 Kia Sorento which has 183K miles and I never had to pay for anything other than filters, oil and tires.
We know they had fun with you down at the hall ... the wag the tail'ers could tell you anything and you be like jumping up and down like a Jack Russell Terrier only interrupted by your licking your wiener and butt.

Inthegame

2007 Kia Sorento which has 183K miles and I never had to pay for anything other than filters, oil and tires.
We know they had fun with you down at the hall ... the wag the tail'ers could tell you anything and you be like jumping up and down like a Jack Russell Terrier only interrupted by your licking your wiener and butt.
Hook, line and sinker...didn't think you'd bite. You're slipping.