A question about delivery

nephthys

Alright, so I ordered a halloween costume from North Carolina a few days ago. (I live in New Jersey).

Secaucus, NJ, United States 10/15/2011 1:30 A.M. Departure Scan
Secaucus, NJ, United States 10/14/2011 4:55 P.M. Arrival Scan
Richmond, VA, United States 10/14/2011 8:42 A.M. Departure Scan
10/14/2011 8:23 A.M. Arrival Scan
Charlotte, NC, United States 10/14/2011 1:38 A.M. Departure Scan
Charlotte, NC, United States 10/13/2011 7:29 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 10/13/2011 8:43 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Everything seemed to be moving very timely thru the system, until my package got to Secaucus. Apparently, it departed from Secaucus at 1:30am, and....nothing since then. I understand that UPS doesn't generally deliver on Saturdays, but is this also true for packages moving thru the system?

I live in Central NJ, and usually Secaucus is the second to last stop before my house. (The last being Tinton Falls, I believe. But I've never seen the tracking system just....stall like that before.)

One more thing, I ordered via that new SurePost method, so I know my package will be getting delivered to my local post office for THEM to deliver to my house.

Is it possible that the post office already has my package? It didn't come in todays mail, but I'm wondering if I should call them up and ask. (because if they do, I'll just as soon pick it up there today before they close, in person, rather than wait till Monday or even Tuesday)

So, is it normal for there to be nothing else after departing the Secaucus facility for 13 hours now? Because it's the weekend? Or does it look like it got fouled up?

Shryp

It could be possible that it is in the trailer ready to leave and the driver doesn't work until Sunday night or Monday morning. I have seen similar activity on weekends.

nephthys

I also wish to point out that I only live about 35min from Secaucus NJ. So, if my package left there at 1:30am, where is it traveling for 13 hours?

My initial guess is it got scanned for departure at 1:30am, and is on hold until Monday, but after reading frightening testimonials on the web, I would like to make 100% sure this is not some big problem.

nephthys

It's trick or treat - you got the trick ! ;)

(just being funny.. no answers for you, sorry)

LOL. I'm hoping thats not the case. It's its a seasonal item, a delay would utterly ruin Halloween, and my order will be worthless till next year.

But, yeah...I'm just hoping it's because it's the weekend and service has stopped till Monday.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your package is sitting in a trailer waiting to be processed Monday morning. It will be delivered to the Post Office on Monday. They will turn around and deliver it to your house on Tuesday or Wednesday. The sad part is the driver will most likely drive by your house during the day on Monday, maybe even on his way to the Post Office. I guess with "Free Shipping" you really do get what you pay for. Dave.

nephthys

Your package is sitting in a trailer waiting to be processed Monday morning. It will be delivered to the Post Office on Monday. They will turn around and deliver it to your house on Tuesday or Wednesday. The sad part is the driver will most likely drive by your house during the day on Monday, maybe even on his way to the Post Office. I guess with "Free Shipping" you really do get what you pay for. Dave.

That's alright. My post office is literally 3min away from my house. I can actually call the post office Monday afternoon, and if they have it by then, I can just swing by really fast and get directly from there on Monday. (My post office allows us to pick up mail directly from them...I guess all post offices do. *shrug*)

Thanks for your help!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's alright. My post office is literally 3min away from my house. I can actually call the post office Monday afternoon, and if they have it by then, I can just swing by really fast and get directly from there on Monday. (My post office allows us to pick up mail directly from them...I guess all post offices do. *shrug*)

Thanks for your help!

No problem, although I wouldn't count on getting your package on Monday. Dave.

klein

Für Meno :)
LOL. I'm hoping thats not the case. It's its a seasonal item, a delay would utterly ruin Halloween, and my order will be worthless till next year.

But, yeah...I'm just hoping it's because it's the weekend and service has stopped till Monday.

Atleast you're not 1 of those last minute people !
Gee, I delivered packages on holloween day, and made some people really happy, they were a nervous wreck !

nephthys

Atleast you're not 1 of those last minute people !
Gee, I delivered packages on holloween day, and made some people really happy, they were a nervous wreck !

Oh, believe me...normally I am! lol. I've put together costumes a day before Halloween, running to 5 Party City's and Spirit's after the store was picked clean. I decided I'm not doing it that way this year, and since my costume is complicated this year, I started planning and shopping at the beginning of October.

That's why I hope to get my costume as quick as possible. It's face appliances, and I have to try it on as soon as possible in order to determine any alterations, accessories, make-up, etc. (It also doesn't help that my college is having their Halloween party on October 27th this year! Curse Halloween for falling on a Monday!)

In any case, I'm sure my stuff isn't delayed. Everyone's negative responses on the internet, telling stories of horrible delays got me a bit paranoid. Also, I figured "departure" meant that my package physically left the facility. I guess things work differently on the weekends. :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Without getting too technical, we have physical and logical scans. Physical scans are where the pkg is scanned by an employee while logical scans are done by computers. The trailer your pkg is sitting on received a logical scan.

Your local post office will receive the pkg sometime on Monday but will likely not process it until Tuesday. This is why I suggest you not try to get it on Monday.

nephthys

Without getting too technical, we have physical and logical scans. Physical scans are where the pkg is scanned by an employee while logical scans are done by computers. The trailer your pkg is sitting on received a logical scan.

Your local post office will receive the pkg sometime on Monday but will likely not process it until Tuesday. This is why I suggest you not try to get it on Monday.

So, what happens....UPS drops it off in a outdoor drop-box at the post office? I always wondered that.

And Tuesday is fine. :) I mean, I'll give the PO a call on Monday also, but now I know not to get my hopes up. When I *do* ask them if they have it, though...which number do I give them? There's the tracking number of course, but theres also a Post Office Tracking I.D. (Which is a different string of numbers. 22 numbers actually).

But yea, I'll set my sights for Tuesday. I'll just consider it a nice bonus if I happen to get it earlier. :)

Thanks again!

Borderline 9.5

I was delivering a surepost to the post office while the customer was in the parking lot. Told her it was for her. After I scanned it, gave to the post office, customer then went in and got. I don't see why you shouldn't get it on Monday. I guess it all depends on how busy they are.

nephthys

I was delivering a surepost to the post office while the customer was in the parking lot. Told her it was for her. After I scanned it, gave to the post office, customer then went in and got. I don't see why you shouldn't get it on Monday. I guess it all depends on how busy they are.

It's usually beyond dead there, so I don't think crowding will be an issue at all. Also, I suppose it depends on what time of day the post office receives the package, too. (UPS *generally* is very active in MY area around noon to 1pm.)

You know, actually? I think what I'm gunna do (instead of calling over and over) is I'll call early Monday morning and ask them to hold the package for me when they get it. (They do that as well). I'll swing by Monday evening right before they close (5pm) and see if it arrived. If it doesn't, I'll go back on Tuesday. :) Thats prob the easiest, seeing how I live like right by the post office anyway. I'm def not gunna wait for it to get delivered by mailman, which *could* potentially take a day or two longer. (esp around here.)

I think that's the easiest solution.