Accepting a text message as a call out

MORDNEDS

No, i do not accept texts as a call out. I told this to all employees when i gave them my burner cell phone that i picked up for $20/month. I told them call the building, and if no answer, then call my phone as i will always answer it unless....busy otherwise :wink2:. My wife hates it but it's the nature of the beast. If they text i do not receive it therefore no call/no show. " But i texted you!" "I'm sorry my phone does not receive texts, and apparently you willfully violated management's instructions as to not text."

stink219

But at least you give an additional option. Some manager clowns intentionally let the phone ring. Maybe UPS needs to invest in an answering machine. My favorite btw is the vast array of managerial doctors we have on staff ready to diagnose any ailment we have.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
But at least you give an additional option. Some manager clowns intentionally let the phone ring. Maybe UPS needs to invest in an answering machine. My favorite btw is the vast array of managerial doctors we have on staff ready to diagnose any ailment we have.

No they don't. And I'm sure this is based off of your intense undercover investigation.

You make it sound like we have a phone labeled "People Call In Sick Here".....this is not the case. It could be anyone, for any reason...our bosses, customers, other managers, flow control, HR....you get my point.

I will willfully ignore a text message all day long, though, but I'll answer a call every time.

stink219

No they don't. And I'm sure this is based off of your intense undercover investigation.

You make it sound like we have a phone labeled "People Call In Sick Here".....this is not the case. It could be anyone, for any reason...our bosses, customers, other managers, flow control, HR....you get my point.

I will willfully ignore a text message all day long, though, but I'll answer a call every time.
Buddy, it happens frequently.maybe your an exception. We now use 3 possible phone numbers since all our sups and manager are either on 730am conference calls or overseeing the new "preload babysitting program". So don't try to sell me on the "It doesn't happen" crap. My investigation was concluded. When more than one driver has an issue with calling in sick, their is a problem.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Being assigned to some other area or being on a conference call is hardly "intentionally letting the phone ring". Should it be covered some way or another? Of course it should....but don't insinuate that it's some sort of willful disregard with the intent of screwing the employees.

Upstate, there has only been 2 times that I've had to deal with a situation like that, and both times it was because the employee was physically unable to talk or make the call themselves. I have no problem with it in those two cases. How does this relate to people who text-call-in?

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
It doesn't relate---I was curious if you had ever dealt with it and, if so, how you dealt with it. We have a couple of guys who do it all the time.

It's one of those situation where it needs to be addressed ASAP. Maybe accept it that first time or two, but if there's nothing keeping the sick person from calling, then they need to be informed that we will no longer accept their call-in's unless they do it themselves. Once you let something like this go too long, you are showing acceptance of it. It becomes a nightmare to try to stop these kinds of bad habits when left go so long.

stink219

Being assigned to some other area or being on a conference call is hardly "intentionally letting the phone ring". Should it be covered some way or another? Of course it should....but don't insinuate that it's some sort of willful disregard with the intent of screwing the employees.
Yes your correct. Because based on the history of employee/employer relations, that could never happen.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
One of our former preload supervisors whose job responsiblities included answering the phone for sick calls freely admitted to playing games with the phone and would joke about it quite often.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sending a text message isn't the same as manning up and making a phone call to actually talk to a human being, its a simple as that. People are too lazy these days, its really sad that the world has got to a place where people can't communicate with other people effectively.

Last edited:
Sending a text message isn't the same as manning up and making a phone call to actually talking to a human being, its a simple as that. People are too lazy these days, its really sad that the world has got to a place where people can't communicate with other people effectively.
Its not being lazy...Its just amazing nobody in the office can not (or will not) pickup the phone when you want to call off!

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Its not being lazy...Its just amazing nobody in the office can not (or will not) pickup the phone when you want to call off!

Isolated issues do not control what should or shouldn't become company policy. Figure something out. Call a different number. Make some noise when you get to work about no-one answering the phone. Talk to HR about it. Tell your shop steward. Tell your BA. Fix the problem instead of making yourself a victim of it. Seriously, how old are we?