Airport security

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by rkctkc, Jan 22, 2016.

1. rkctkc

rkctkc Member

In feeders I regularly go to the airport hub. Had to apply for a badge, get fingerprints taken, picture, etc.. however, they won't give me my badge, they keep it in their guards hack and require me to give up my drivers license upon entering the yard in trade for the badge. I really don't like giving my drivers license to the security guard in the guard shack. It has my full name, date of birth, address on it and I really don't feel comfortable leaving it with them for extended periods of time. I have fought with them about it, tried to give my ups id instead and they won't accept it. Feeder supervisor ends up coming outside and talking with me telling me either give up the dl, or leave and we'll discuss consequences when I get back to my hub. What are my options here.

2. Mr. Marshall

Mr. Marshall New Member

Give them your license. Anyone who knows your name can find your full name, birthdate and address on the internet in five seconds. I could then find a picture of your house and how much you paid for it and what you pay in taxes. There is no privacy anymore.

3. rkctkc

rkctkc Member

Only the people who have gotten a badge within the last year have to give up their drivers license to receive it every time they go there. Any driver who has a badge before this last year gets to keep the badge on their person. Of course, everyone that actually works for the airport gets to keep their badge on their person. I was told that people were losing their badge, therefore we no longer are allowed to take the badges with us. So, upon entering the airport, they need something in collateral to make sure that we give the badge back before we leave. They will not take anything other than the actual driver's license. And I guess you're right, getting harder and harder to keep your identity private these days but why make it easy for someone by just handing it to them?

4. rkctkc

rkctkc Member

And of course, after the argument with the guard shack employee and the dispatch supervisor, I was the one that gave in. And then the guard shack guy had that satisfactory look on his face and said, and I quote, "that's what I thought"

5. Austin.Was.My.Hero

Austin.Was.My.Hero quod erat demonstrandum

It's not up to you.

Why not?

Deliver another route or find other employment.

It's OK for you to have the names and addresses of hundreds of people in the back of your package car every day but you're concerned with the airport security having your license for a bit. Interesting.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

I had an airport badge when I was a package driver. It was a big deal back then. You had to be fingerprinted, picture made, and someone from an airline had to vouch for you before they would give you one. I stopped delivering to the airport and kept the badge. It took probably a year, but the airport security told UPS management they wanted their ID back, and they wanted it NOW. The last thing they want these days is to have someone's ID to fall into the wrong hands because of terrorism. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the world we live in now.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. rkctkc

rkctkc Member

I guess I'm just being a pain in the rear end. I don't mind leaving the ID there, just don't like the idea of giving my dl to the guard shack fella

8. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I agree with you----your UPS ID card should be sufficient collateral.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

Don't think your being a pain or paranoid. I'd hesitantly leave my license, but would tape over my personal info.

10. Covemastah

Covemastah Suspension Ovah !!! Tom is free FU Goodell !!

We only show our badge at Logan , pop the tractor hood open doors , then Logan police scan our badge to go on in

11. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Well-Known Member

As long as it's not these two, you should be alright.
    image.jpeg

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Covemastah

Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. rkctkc

rkctkc Member

Well, the guard shack guys are definitely far from police. They are also not held to any higher standard, as a matter of fact, every so-called security employee I've ever seen around here are borderline ghetto

14. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Easily Amused

Ever have TSA go through your truck? Happened to me my first time at airport.

15. Covemastah

This is the cop at Logan
    image.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  16. Covemastah

Yes ,,, and I know them well ,, they have too

17. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

They are simply doing what they are told.

If you really want to get this policy change ask you immediate supervisor to sit down with their supervisor to see if he/she would be willing to accept an alternate form of ID for collateral. Until then you need to work as directed.

18. Covemastah

That was after big Papis grand slam against Tigers back in 13 after tying game in ALCS

19. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Are you driving a ups vehicle on airport property without a drivers license on your person

20. rkctkc

rkctkc Member

Yes sir