Airport security

rkctkc

In feeders I regularly go to the airport hub. Had to apply for a badge, get fingerprints taken, picture, etc.. however, they won't give me my badge, they keep it in their guards hack and require me to give up my drivers license upon entering the yard in trade for the badge. I really don't like giving my drivers license to the security guard in the guard shack. It has my full name, date of birth, address on it and I really don't feel comfortable leaving it with them for extended periods of time. I have fought with them about it, tried to give my ups id instead and they won't accept it. Feeder supervisor ends up coming outside and talking with me telling me either give up the dl, or leave and we'll discuss consequences when I get back to my hub. What are my options here.

Mr. Marshall

Give them your license. Anyone who knows your name can find your full name, birthdate and address on the internet in five seconds. I could then find a picture of your house and how much you paid for it and what you pay in taxes. There is no privacy anymore.

rkctkc

Only the people who have gotten a badge within the last year have to give up their drivers license to receive it every time they go there. Any driver who has a badge before this last year gets to keep the badge on their person. Of course, everyone that actually works for the airport gets to keep their badge on their person. I was told that people were losing their badge, therefore we no longer are allowed to take the badges with us. So, upon entering the airport, they need something in collateral to make sure that we give the badge back before we leave. They will not take anything other than the actual driver's license. And I guess you're right, getting harder and harder to keep your identity private these days but why make it easy for someone by just handing it to them?

rkctkc

And of course, after the argument with the guard shack employee and the dispatch supervisor, I was the one that gave in. And then the guard shack guy had that satisfactory look on his face and said, and I quote, "that's what I thought"

watdaflock?

I really don't like giving my drivers license to the security guard in the guard shack.
It's not up to you.

It has my full name, date of birth, address on it and I really don't feel comfortable leaving it with them for extended periods of time.

Why not?

What are my options here.

Deliver another route or find other employment.

And I guess you're right, getting harder and harder to keep your identity private these days but why make it easy for someone by just handing it to them?

It's OK for you to have the names and addresses of hundreds of people in the back of your package car every day but you're concerned with the airport security having your license for a bit. Interesting.

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I had an airport badge when I was a package driver. It was a big deal back then. You had to be fingerprinted, picture made, and someone from an airline had to vouch for you before they would give you one. I stopped delivering to the airport and kept the badge. It took probably a year, but the airport security told UPS management they wanted their ID back, and they wanted it NOW. The last thing they want these days is to have someone's ID to fall into the wrong hands because of terrorism. I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's the world we live in now.

rkctkc

I guess I'm just being a pain in the rear end. I don't mind leaving the ID there, just don't like the idea of giving my dl to the guard shack fella

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Don't think your being a pain or paranoid. I'd hesitantly leave my license, but would tape over my personal info.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We only show our badge at Logan , pop the tractor hood open doors , then Logan police scan our badge to go on in

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We only show our badge at Logan , pop the tractor hood open doors , then Logan police scan our badge to go on in
As long as it's not these two, you should be alright.
image.jpeg

rkctkc

Well, the guard shack guys are definitely far from police. They are also not held to any higher standard, as a matter of fact, every so-called security employee I've ever seen around here are borderline ghetto

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, the guard shack guys are definitely far from police. They are also not held to any higher standard, as a matter of fact, every so-called security employee I've ever seen around here are borderline ghetto

They are simply doing what they are told.

If you really want to get this policy change ask you immediate supervisor to sit down with their supervisor to see if he/she would be willing to accept an alternate form of ID for collateral. Until then you need to work as directed.