All air routes getting eliminated?

Commercial Inside Release

@Bubblehead kudos for the explanation... I could tell air drivers were an endangered species ten years ago.

Pushing start time back another 15 minutes next week in hopes air will be on us more often.
Unfortunately, in the late winter \ early spring the weather doesn't give a crap how far back Carol moves the start time.

RIP air group
Good luck finding another part time gig, that measures up.
Maybe a small business, where you force your employees into an insurance group that qualifies you for lower rates.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I heard that UPS management is looking to eliminate all air driver positions in the Boston area. Has anybody else from other regions seen or heard anything similar? Not sure how feasible this would be.
From 1987 to 1999, I was classified as an Exception Air Driver at WatMa.
Mgt used me to make sure Internationals were covered on Sats.
When Sat Air began, because volume was so light , I just shuttled to the load between Logan back to the centers.
As volume picked up, I finally got some routes. Mostly I was just a cover driver on Sats.
Saturdays has always been a great introduction for drivers to learn to go full time.
As one of my Sat Sup always said - " go out and get lost " , it was the quickest way to learn a route.

If someone had an issue while on route, I was asked to fix it.
Two drivers stand out; One always took the bus to work and he only knew his way back to the building by following his buses.
Second driver didn't make his first stop until 90 minutes after leaving the building.
He was under the idea that he had to drive thru Boston to get to Medford.
Medford is two towns over from the building, I showed him how to get to Medford in less than 15 minutes.

UPSER1987

lol at air drivers. That easy gig has come to an end. I agree with another poster, that writing was on the wall years ago. The day has finally come.

PT Car Washer

lol at air drivers. That easy gig has come to an end. I agree with another poster, that writing was on the wall years ago. The day has finally come.
My building still have a few PT PM air drivers but their hours have been reduced to the minimum. Still use about 6 PT air drivers for EAMs and a few for 10:30 and 12:00 NDA. Don't see AM air drivers being reduced as it would increase the delivery drivers planned days.

Commercial Inside Release

Don't see AM air drivers being reduced as it would increase the delivery drivers planned days.
Don't count on it PT!
Your center may be an exception, but come Mother's Day the commitment times will be cancelled, and combined with the existing layoffs; a poor quarterly report; and a slow economy -- the air drivers might finally be toast.

Only a bunch of drivers taking end of school year vacations, and bad weather breaking lots of farm equipment, can maybe save you.

Might be a summer of discontent.

PT Car Washer

Don't count on it PT!
Your center may be an exception, but come Mother's Day the commitment times will be cancelled, and combined with the existing layoffs; a poor quarterly report; and a slow economy -- the air drivers might finally be toast.

Only a bunch of drivers taking end of school year vacations, and bad weather breaking lots of farm equipment, can maybe save you.

Might be a summer of discontent.
Why would commit times be cancelled? An already booming economy will expand even more with construction season starting soon.

An already booming economy
giphy.gif

tramtwo

In my area, full-time drivers would not get a 10-hour reset in order to be at the airport early enough to process shuttle volume and handle EAMs. We have five full-time AM air drivers and one full-time PM air driver.

Edit: Overall air volume is down substantially however. 10:30 commits don't seem to be taken as serious as they once were but EAMs are always taken seriously. I think the division manager's phone rings when one of those are late.