All Day Managers Meetings...

STFXG

I don't believe any plants are on here. You really think a company as big as FedEx cares what a few dozen dopes are chatting about on a forum?

Ricochet1a

So do we really think some
Of these people are planted by the company? It wouldnt surprise me at all Which in itself speaks volumes of the company.. I know a lot of cool aid drinkers but none like some of the user names on here. It's almost disturbing to think someone could be so devoted to a corporation.

Blind subservience...

This is what the Couriers of Express are battling. F4L wasn't a paid shill, of that I'm confident. The key trait of shills is subtleness. F4L was about as subtle as a wrecking ball in motion.

Express has many that think like he, possessing blind subservience towards their employer, even to the point of being willing to engage in telling lies to defend their employer from "detractors". I experienced this first hand when I was getting ready to leave Express, in having station management cook up outright lies in order to slap OLCCs against me. It didn't bother their conscience a bit - since they had the mind set of "ends justifying the means".

He did put a picture up of presumably himself (since removed as part of his banning, presumably). It was of a rather plump, pasty white guy in his late 40's. Now... being a white guy myself, I knew when I was a Courier, I had a rather decent tan on my face, neck and arms - all from being out and about as part of the job. Even in mid-winter, I still had a good amount of color in my face. The guy in the photo F4L posted hasn't seen 30 minutes of sunlight in over 10 years. It was a photo of an office worker, who spent an inordinate amount of time stitting on his posterior, not doing anything remotely resembling physical activity - forget about being someone claiming to be a 20+ year Courier.

Too bad the picture is gone, it literally speaks a thousand words towards his credibility regarding his being a career Courier.

F4L has been banned b4.
It's only a matter of time b4 he's back.

I'm fairly confident that F4L was the same individual that posted under F4L in the past and was banned. In his previous incarnation, he used FedEx 4 Life - this time around he used FEDEX 4 LIFE. The forum software must differentiate between caps and lower case letters in allowing user IDs - thus enabling the simple alteration in text and getting through. I believe that FEDEX 4 LIFE opened up an ID sometime after FedEx 4 Life was banned. Make your own conclusions...

It does point out what you folks are up against. There are MANY salaried types who will go to any lengths possible to defend their employer from detractors. They see themselves as the true "FedEx-ers" and all you hourlies as merely associates who do the physical labor needed. If there is any silver lining to all of this, it is that it will hopefully illustrate to those who may be "on the fence" regarding the need to organize, to finally recognize that there are MANY people in FedEx who DON'T want you to make what you are really worth. These people FEAR that their own careers may be placed in jeopardy if YOU are compensated fairly in doing your job. The salaried employees who are confident in their abilities don't fear the hourlies getting what they are worth - it is the dead weight (Memphoids), that fear you the most.

Express is going to get rid of close to 3000 Memphoids.... You can cross your fingers...

Express Courier

I'm sure some important people have seen this forum but I doubt they have a task force planting themselves in here. I don't think they care that much about this place. I'm sure they could plant a few hundred "koolaid drinkers" in here and blow the place up drowning out the negativity if they really wanted to.

GoodGrief

I couldn't care less at this point. It was just a question... Maybe employee's really do love FedEx and the rest of us really are just crazy. Its doubtful though.

This employee really does love FedEx, and no....I was not planter here, none of us are that important, including yours truly.

GoodGrief

Blind subservience...

This is what the Couriers of Express are battling. F4L wasn't a paid shill, of that I'm confident. The key trait of shills is subtleness. F4L was about as subtle as a wrecking ball in motion.

Express has many that think like he, possessing blind subservience towards their employer, even to the point of being willing to engage in telling lies to defend their employer from "detractors". I experienced this first hand when I was getting ready to leave Express, in having station management cook up outright lies in order to slap OLCCs against me. It didn't bother their conscience a bit - since they had the mind set of "ends justifying the means".

He did put a picture up of presumably himself (since removed as part of his banning, presumably). It was of a rather plump, pasty white guy in his late 40's. Now... being a white guy myself, I knew when I was a Courier, I had a rather decent tan on my face, neck and arms - all from being out and about as part of the job. Even in mid-winter, I still had a good amount of color in my face. The guy in the photo F4L posted hasn't seen 30 minutes of sunlight in over 10 years. It was a photo of an office worker, who spent an inordinate amount of time stitting on his posterior, not doing anything remotely resembling physical activity - forget about being someone claiming to be a 20+ year Courier.

Too bad the picture is gone, it literally speaks a thousand words towards his credibility regarding his being a career Courier.

I'm fairly confident that F4L was the same individual that posted under F4L in the past and was banned. In his previous incarnation, he used FedEx 4 Life - this time around he used FEDEX 4 LIFE. The forum software must differentiate between caps and lower case letters in allowing user IDs - thus enabling the simple alteration in text and getting through. I believe that FEDEX 4 LIFE opened up an ID sometime after FedEx 4 Life was banned. Make your own conclusions...

It does point out what you folks are up against. There are MANY salaried types who will go to any lengths possible to defend their employer from detractors. They see themselves as the true "FedEx-ers" and all you hourlies as merely associates who do the physical labor needed. If there is any silver lining to all of this, it is that it will hopefully illustrate to those who may be "on the fence" regarding the need to organize, to finally recognize that there are MANY people in FedEx who DON'T want you to make what you are really worth. These people FEAR that their own careers may be placed in jeopardy if YOU are compensated fairly in doing your job. The salaried employees who are confident in their abilities don't fear the hourlies getting what they are worth - it is the dead weight (Memphoids), that fear you the most.

Express is going to get rid of close to 3000 Memphoids.... You can cross your fingers...

Damn dude, you really are bitter.....people are going to lose their jobs and you're happy about it? Explains a lot.

RTURNSONLY

Damn dude, you really are bitter.....people are going to lose their jobs and you're happy about it? Explains a lot.

I don't see either where he says he's happy for it. On the contrary, by saying "cross your fingers", it implies to me that he hopes it does not happens that way.

vantexan

I don't see either where he says he's happy for it. On the contrary, by saying "cross your fingers", it implies to me that he hopes it does not happens that way.

With all the talk about "Memphoids" being essentially useless I suspect the crossed fingers was hoping 3000 or so will be let go.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't believe any plants are on here. You really think a company as big as FedEx cares what a few dozen dopes are chatting about on a forum?

Really? They've cared enough to dispatch quite a few shills and misinformants. Granted, we are a small presence, and not that many employees know we even exist. That said, Fedex monitors this site heavily, because any inkling of a movement away from groupthink and total obedience terrifies them. It means that we might form a union, disrupt operations, or otherwise interfere with profit...the only thing that really matters to them.

You don't know squat about the history or culture of Express, and that's readily evident in your postings. It's not meant as an insult....just fact. Until you experience it (Express) first-hand, you have no concept of the mind games, general oppresion, illegal tactics, and subterfuge on the part of management.

It's a corrupt organization, and our Dear Beloved Leader is a sneaky, scheming, greedy, whining, old bastard that would steal from his grandmother if she were still alive.

Ricochet1a

Here's what I meant...

Fred has already decided to give about 3000 Memphoids their walking papers. That decision has been made and the 3000 are waiting for the notification. There is nothing I can do for those 3000, they have to help themselves. In this economy, MILLIONS have lost their jobs, I'm not going to lose any sleep over 3000 Memphoids who are going to be offered buyouts to leave. Most of those millions who lost their jobs in the past 4 years were given short notice and directions to the company exit without any sort of departing cash.

Our dearly departed Memphoid made no bones about making an outright lie about me to further whatever personal agenda he may have against my posting here. I called him out on it, and it appears that the moderators saw fit to remove him from this forum for his attempt to "libel" me with a statement which he couldn't possibly prove was true - since it never happened.

The salaried employees in Memphis that are "worth their salt", have nothing to fear from the coming reductions - they will retain their positions.

The departed Memphoid is obviously not worth his salt...

I only hope that of the 3000 or so that will be leaving Express next year, that he is one of them. I am not a forgiving person when it comes to deliberate actions against me, I don't "turn the other cheek" when someone tries to pull a stunt like he did and I hope he gets what he deserves. Call it Karma, call it poetic justice, call it what you will.

That is what I meant.

It doesn't mean I'm bitter one bit - it means that I'm not forgiving of people who pull stunts against me and given the impending reductions, It would be just grand if our Memphoid was included among the 3000 who will be given their walking papers - it would mean one less person who may be deserving of a job, would get to keep theirs.

GoodGrief

Here's what I meant...

Fred has already decided to give about 3000 Memphoids their walking papers. That decision has been made and the 3000 are waiting for the notification. There is nothing I can do for those 3000, they have to help themselves. In this economy, MILLIONS have lost their jobs, I'm not going to lose any sleep over 3000 Memphoids who are going to be offered buyouts to leave. Most of those millions who lost their jobs in the past 4 years were given short notice and directions to the company exit without any sort of departing cash.

Our dearly departed Memphoid made no bones about making an outright lie about me to further whatever personal agenda he may have against my posting here. I called him out on it, and it appears that the moderators saw fit to remove him from this forum for his attempt to "libel" me with a statement which he couldn't possibly prove was true - since it never happened.

The salaried employees in Memphis that are "worth their salt", have nothing to fear from the coming reductions - they will retain their positions.

The departed Memphoid is obviously not worth his salt...

I only hope that of the 3000 or so that will be leaving Express next year, that he is one of them. I am not a forgiving person when it comes to deliberate actions against me, I don't "turn the other cheek" when someone tries to pull a stunt like he did and I hope he gets what he deserves. Call it Karma, call it poetic justice, call it what you will.

That is what I meant.

It doesn't mean I'm bitter one bit - it means that I'm not forgiving of people who pull stunts against me and given the impending reductions, It would be just grand if our Memphoid was included among the 3000 who will be given their walking papers - it would mean one less person who may be deserving of a job, would get to keep theirs.

Ok, I get it and I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. I do want to let you know that not all of us in Memphis sit around doing nothing all day. The work I have right now is overewhelming and I have no idea where to even start each day when I get in the mornings, but I'll get through it, always do. You don't have to answer this, but where is the 3000 # coming from? Is that just Express or all other OpCos as well. Like I said, don't answer if you don't feel comfortable. Some of the rumors going around are waayyyyy out there and are getting wilder each day.

Ricochet1a

Ok, I get it and I apologize for the misunderstanding on my part. I do want to let you know that not all of us in Memphis sit around doing nothing all day. The work I have right now is overewhelming and I have no idea where to even start each day when I get in the mornings, but I'll get through it, always do. You don't have to answer this, but where is the 3000 # coming from? Is that just Express or all other OpCos as well. Like I said, don't answer if you don't feel comfortable. Some of the rumors going around are waayyyyy out there and are getting wilder each day.

The 3000 number is coming out of Memphis, and it applies primarily to Express, but Office is included in that. FedEx made a public announcement a few weeks ago (look it up, I believe the CA has a story on it), primarily focused to institutional investors to convince them that FedEx is taking steps to improve its profit margin. In that announcement, a vague number was given, but most believe the hard number is between 2500 (lowball) and 3000 (closer to what will actually happen).

The announcement was done for two reasons. First, to help dispel some of the rumors swirling around Memphis. The "buyout" was a secret that everyone knew about (since you are there, you had to hear the rumors going back to early summer), but the company wouldn't admit to. The announcement helped calm people and put an end to some of the rumor (and let people get back to work rather than worrying about their jobs so much). Secondly, it was aimed at institutional investors. it "proved" that FedEx was serious about making reductions in an attempt to restore profit margin.

However... announcements regarding layoffs are a double edged sword for large corporations. Announcing some layoffs always causes investors to look more favorably at a company - announcing a large number of layoffs indicates there are deep troubles in the company, and this usually causes the stock to take a hit. The announcement amounted to between 10 and 12 percent of the primarily Memphis based salaried staffs of Express along with Office. This is a low enough number (now) to assure investors that needed steps were taken, while demonstrating that a meat cleaver is NOT being taken to the organization.

At this stage, there is no "rumor" about further reductions to be made in Express in the short term, but given the strategic outlook of FedEx Corporation, I seriously doubt that these "buyouts" will be the last. Your employer has a habit of taking things slow as to not create undue alarm amongst its employees or investors. Just read some of the threads here. The anecdotal reports of transformation occuring are undeniable.

I've written extensively in the past couple of years about the tactics and methods that Express will use at the operational level in order to acheive its goals - those things are starting to happen right now, even the Pollyannas are starting to see the things that I indicated would occur, are indeed occurring. Some may try to engage in rationalization, subtle denial, or even try to do some internal "bargaining" (all stages of grief). In the end, they will have to face reailty and accept that what is happening isn't accidental, unintentional or coincidental.

You may think that some of the stuff you read here is "way out there". Take a look 2-3 years ago at what was accepted as norm, then take a look today. What I wrote about a year or two ago, is indeed starting to unfold NOW (it is all in the record, look it up). Federal Express of the last century is long gone, the FedEx Express of the first decade of this century is being transformed into a different beast, which will look very familiar to its customers, but to its employees will be as different from the FedEx Express of the first decade of this century, as that company was different from Federal Express of the 1980's and early 90's. Somewhere in that transformation, the career Courier is going to get shoved under the bus - and it isn't accidental or unforeseen.

GoodGrief

Yes, I have read many articles on the announcement. Express and Services were mentioned in all of them, not Office. Also the rumors I was talking about being "out there" was not what I read here, it's what I hear at work on a daily basis about buyouts. Thank you your responce. Even though I still love my job, I am not blind, I know things are not the same. But I do believe it is happenning to businesses everywhere, not just FedEx. Again, thanks for answering my question. I have not seen any numbers mentioned anywhere in print besides here. Do you know how many non-functional salaried positions there are in Express? I am not sure....and Services too, including IT, Sales and Markering? And yes, these rumors have been floating around for a long while. I also believe that if they do not get the number of people they want to take the buyout, layoff maybe coming. Some saying that they may go for another round of buyouts before that though. Last time they did this back in 2003 at Express, the pot was so sweet, they lost more people that they wanted to.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Express has many that think like he, possessing blind subservience towards their employer, even to the point of being willing to engage in telling lies to defend their employer from "detractors".
It does point out what you folks are up against. There are MANY salaried types who will go to any lengths possible to defend their employer from detractors.

Sounds like the kool-aid consumption has a side effect of Stockholm syndrome.

Perhaps we should call it Memphis syndrome?

Ricochet1a

Yes, I have read many articles on the announcement. Express and Services were mentioned in all of them, not Office.

Office is included in the reductions. Office is a "ship without a rudder" at this point, being kept afloat primarily due to its intended role in the future to become the primary "face" of FedEx for over-the-counter sales of both Ground and Express product. Many of the people who work "for Office" are technically under FedEx Services. Supposedly management positons are immune to the reductions, only support staff are going to be cut - but when it comes to Office, there are independent stories about them eliminating an entire layer of management. There are other posters here who are more informed about that than I about this coming reduction.

Also the rumors I was talking about being "out there" was not what I read here, it's what I hear at work on a daily basis about buyouts.

The rumors about buyouts even reached here - go back in history and look it up. There were many here that were speculating (hoping beyond hope) that hourlies in operations would be offered some form of buyout. Just more wishful thinking on their part. With the announcement, the speculation came almost to an abrupt end - as Memphis wanted it to.

But I do believe it is happenning to businesses everywhere, not just FedEx.

Here's where you are wrong. In most circumstances, corporations that are looking to transform and cut, do a detailed study of where they want to be (FedEx has done that - back in the middle part of the last decade), run studies and analysis regarding the prospects of the company after the proposed reorganization (FedEx has done that), discuss the intended change internally and make a decision that the change is really what is needed (FedEx has done that), then get the pain over with as quick as possible and make the change rapidly (FedEx WON'T do that).

The reason most corporations perform any decided upon "downsizing" quickly, is to get the uncertainty over and done with among its employees. A long, drawn out process of gradual change (where the employees never know if they will be axed in a few months) destroys morale and is a detriment to productivity (employees spend time talking and worrying among themselves if they are going to get the ax next). Just from your statement, this has and is occurring in Memphis (I already knew it was happening, I wrote about it here).

When corporate downsizing is to be done (in most instances), the change is announced, those to be eliminated are shown the door, then the remaining employees are brought into some meeting and told, "Relax, we are DONE with the cuts. Get back to thinking about your work and we'll move forward". Anxiety is eliminated and those that are left focus on getting the company back on track. FedEx can't do that...

With the scope of change FedEx is planning for Express (and is currently performing), if the entire scope of the change was announced, say 3 years ago - there would've been MASSIVE problems for Express. This is due to one reason, threat of unionization among the hourlies, primarily the Couriers.

If Express would've announced 3 years ago that: 1) it intends on shifting the delivery of non-overnight volume over to Ground, 2) that it intends on making the Courier job a primarily part-time position, 3) that it intends to essentially freeze hourly wage progression to merely being adjustments for inflation, 4) that it will change work conditions, shifts and goals to make leaving Express for experienced Couriers a desirable option, 5) that it will introduce a software program which will render the experienced Courier an unneeded positon (DRA), 6) and finally that it will introduce a ground fleet that is predominently Sprinter type vehicles (400-450 cu ft capacity, vs. 700 cu ft capacity for current W700s)....

even the most avid consumers of purple KoolAid would've realized that Fred has placed a target on them, and they had better do something about it.

FedEx has "wisely" avoided doing this. The change in operations is being done very slowly, so slowly in fact, that the operational mangers are just now being officially clued into what is going to happen in the near future. The vast majority of the Couriers are completely clueless. They still believe that they will have a career with Express 10 years from now, and they have nothing to fear. The Couriers in their 40's and 50's do realize something is up, but they don't want to start rocking the boat too much, for fear of losing their job while the economy is doing poorly.

Fred has planned his strategy, perfectly.

I have not seen any numbers mentioned anywhere in print besides here.

Do a search of business journals - they usually have more detailed information. In a few weeks, Memphis will give a more exact number, so there isn't much point in spending time trying to track down a more precise number - it will be provided shortly.

Do you know how many non-functional salaried positions there are in Express?

While the people I communicate with would have a better idea, I focus on what is going to happen on the operational side. That is where my sympathies lie, I'm not too worried about those in Memphis.

And yes, these rumors have been floating around for a long while. I also believe that if they do not get the number of people they want to take the buyout, layoff maybe coming.

You show your wisdom... the buyout is part of the carrot and stick. Those who refuse to take the carrot in April/May, will most certainly get the stick. Again, I've written about that very thing here. The buyout is TARGETED. It won't be "open season", SPECIFIC positions will be targeted for elimination and the individuals holding those positions will be offered the buyout. While is hasn't been publically admitted yet, those that refuse the buyout, will be shown the door before the start of the next Express FY.

Just for those who don't know, when someone accepts a buyout they forgo any right to unemployment. The buyout has a clause within it that specifies the individual is voluntarily terminating their employment in consideration of payment. The buyout saves Express the unemployment liability. I've written on this prevously...

Some saying that they may go for another round of buyouts before that though. Last time they did this back in 2003 at Express, the pot was so sweet, they lost more people that they wanted to.

There was an article in the CA that made essentially the same comment - the reductions this time around will look like the 2003-04 reductions in term or total number of employees. What will be different, is the targeted nature of the buyout. Given specific positons will be targeted, those occupying the positions may have between a year and upwards to 25 years in - so the buyout formula will be a rather complex blend of a lump sum PLUS an amount reflective of years of service, to encourage ALL targeted employees to accept the carrot.