Already had a 2nd interview at UPS

ImNewHere

Okay thanks. I saw a few people complaining about not working certain days and such, so I was just worried I would not be getting at least 40 hours for the week.

iruhnman630

It is common for newbies to see layoff time in their first 1-2 years, and this year a little more so because UPS went on a hiring binge trying to plan ahead to meet staffing needs and avoid the disaster that was last peak season.

Once Dec hits you will be working. Alot. Into January.

Your current part time job is permanent. This isn't. You won't be able physically or legally to do both due to exhaustion and dot requirements which apply to all hours worked on both jobs.

Last edited:

ImNewHere

I understand. My current part time job is only 20-25 hours a week and $8/hr. So I think it would be worth it to simply quit that job and focus on the seasonal driving job. I am just hoping it provides enough hours NOW through Thanksgiving to make up the hours/money I was making with the part time job.

Man Of Brown

I was a seasonal driver last year. Interview was basic. They called me back later that day, I did a road test (to show I could drive a POS manual transmission truck with no power steering). Did a DOT physical. Was hired in October, did driving school first part of November, and starting driving beginning of December. Laid off news years eve. Pay for me was $16.10 an hour. OT after 8 hours. Drove a uhaul truck. Worked until 11:00 on Christmas Eve. No benefits.

This year I'm a regular driver and they've all ready started a couple seasonal guys and I think are starting new ones this week. So your mileage may vary and I'm in the northwest if that helps out at all.

ImNewHere

I am in Georgia. MOB, I assume training is paid? Or is that not correct?

I was told " if you know how to drive manual, great, if not you'll learn." I "learned" to drive a manual truck but have done it very rarely, is that a huge concern?

All in all, your avatar gives me hope! Love it ha

Thanks for the info sir! Broke 23 year old here just trying to figure things out ya know?

Man Of Brown

I understand. If you know how to drive a stick you'll be fine. It's pretty basic. Just a bigger shifter and stiffer clutch. Training, if you can call it that, is a week long and yes is paid.

One avenue to look at is package handler. They work a fair amount during peak plus you could probably keep the position after peak (well here they are understaffed and aren't hiring seasonal employees, just regular positions ) plus ups can help pay for school. But good luck tomorrow.

ImNewHere

Wonderful. I may need to go home to drive the old truck a time or two. Hopefully they will not ask me to drive tomorrow, it has been a few years. I will be sure to discuss options with them tomorrow about positions available. The pay sounds decent for a seasonal driver, as opposed to $8.50/hr for the package handler, and if I can get the 40 hours a week the driving gig would be fine. I am just worried I won't get those hours between now and thanksgiving.

Chung L

UPS called me back for a second interview around the beginning of the month and it's now the 20th. The HR manager said she'd call me within a week to sign some papers and start working. I would really like this job. The position is PT Package Handler. I'm confused because she pretty much said I got the job but it has been 20 days since the second interview which went great. Any tips or ideas?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
images-1.jpeg

Patience young padawan.

Chung L

This isn't a temp job though, it's permanent part time. I'm also in college so this is just for the side. And like I said, it's been 20 or more days since the second interview. How come the distribution center doesn't have an office number I can contact or anything?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
This isn't a temp job though, it's permanent part time. I'm also in college so this is just for the side. And like I said, it's been 20 or more days since the second interview. How come the distribution center doesn't have an office number I can contact or anything?

If you had an office number, you would then have more information than they want you to have. This place is like the NSA, everything is secret until they need you to know.

Nostromo

Probably on the next batch of bodies they need they will call you. Took a month and some days to get back to me

Sent using Morse code

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's a seasonal position. Because they don't need every person who ever had an interview callng them asking why they haven't heard back from ups.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
This time of year, most every job is seasonal. It *potentially* could become permanent, but that decision is strictly up to them, and at a much later date. Most folks on here have been through the same thing, grasshopper.