Already had a 2nd interview at UPS

ImNewHere

Hi all,

I wish I would have found this site sooner, but unfortunately I just ran into you all late tonight! I have an interview at 9:30am tomorrow for a delivery driver position open in my town. I found the job posting on a job board and applied not thinking I would even receive an interview invite, but at the end I scheduled the interview for tomorrow morning. My questions for all you find folks here are simple:

1) What should I expect as far as the "tour/interview" go? Simple run-of-the-mill get to know me questions or more in depth interrogation type questions?

2) I see very mixed pay scales online, what IS the typical starting pay? I have also seen that it is nearly impossible to start as a driver in the company, so why did they even go to the trouble of posting the position and scheduling the interview?

3) Most importantly, would you truly recommend the job to a friend or someone you knew? Lots of positive reviews online elsewhere, but I don't trust all of them.

Any other helpful tips, pointers, etc. would be much welcome! I am hopeful to join the ranks of the Brown!

Thanks
- T

iruhnman630

You are likely interviewing for a seasonal job. It will keep you occupied till mid January. For a few months, it certainly cant hurt.

Not everybody is cut out for this job. Keep reading the posts here.

ImNewHere

Mr. Bojangles,

I am actually okay with just seasonal through the end of the year. Do they hire just seasonal drivers? I would not think they would take the time to train and employee a driver for seasonal work. I know the helpers are seasonal, and the part time positions, I just was not aware that drivers could be too. Thank you for the speedy reply as well!

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
philosoraptor-meme-generator-start-a-new-thread-or-use-search-a98259.jpg

iruhnman630

Yes there are seasonal drivers especially for Christmas. Many of them don't finish the season, and very few land one of the coveted outside (non-union) peremanent hire positions. I believe the current ratio is 1 outside hire for every 6 inside hires and most of those go to management people.

ImNewHere

Chickenlegs,

I went with starting a new thread. More up to date and pertinent information to my specific questions. All the threads I saw through the search function were older, with the closest to my personal questions being from 2007. I figure the company, and environment of work, have changed a bit in the past 7 years.

ImNewHere

iruhnman630,

I understand. I plan to go back to school in January if able, so that is quite alright by me. What can I expect pay to be around if offered the position as a seasonal driver?

Thanks!

Mr. Bojangles,

I am actually okay with just seasonal through the end of the year. Do they hire just seasonal drivers? I would not think they would take the time to train and employee a driver for seasonal work. I know the helpers are seasonal, and the part time positions, I just was not aware that drivers could be too. Thank you for the speedy reply as well!
If you are good you will go on their short list. Then they can hire you as one of the hires as for every six inside hires one can be off the street.

ImNewHere

Chickenlegs,

Well you have talent huh sir? It was much easier for you to simply not reply than it was for you to say anything. Also, maybe you shouldn't skip leg day chickenlegs.

iruhnman630

If you are planning on going back to school do that, to answer the second question.

Not sure about pay rate under the new contract....11-14/hr.

ImNewHere

iruhnman630,

Much appreciated! As a seasonal driver is it safe to assume I will get full time hours each week? Or should I keep my part time job on the side?

You guys have been great!

iruhnman630

Part time job and seasonal driver don't mix.

Plan on working late into the evening, and you need to meet d.o.t. compliance with 10 hours off at night and 36 hours off on the weekend.