In the end, who wins??? And at what cost?

87brown

Most analysts say, if we do go on strike, we will probably lose about 30% of our volume which is about 4 million packages a day. Truly, that is concerning granted I don’t argue or dispute The fact that the company made billions of dollars during the pandemic and because of that, we should be able to get some of those profits as well, considering it was done on our backs, not to mention, we gave up a lot of time with our families, and, of course, put our own health at risk, but the problem is going to be, as we are, probably not gonna see those profits anywhere near that due to the fact those profits were all made off of the pandemic, and now that the volume has slowed all delivery companies are struggling, laying people off, and of course, searching for volume. I don’t know what the real answer is other than the fact that maybe they could give us a huge signing bonus with a reasonable cost of living adjustment but eventually we have to top off I mean think about it in five more years from now are we gonna be looking for 60 or $65 an hour we must be reasonable or in the end this company will end up like SEARS & ROBUCK of shipping one last nugget for thought if in the event, the Teamsters are able to successfully unionized Amazon, we will no longer be the big guy on the block and in five years from now will we be yellow freight? I don’t know about you, but I sure enjoy my benefits, I have and very good standard of living, and would hate to lose it all but your truly has to be a points where we top off for 36 years I’ve worked for this job, and every year I received a raise

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
What's most important in this upcoming contract keep it on topic and realistic

I'm thinking two tier pay system for new drivers no more retirement 401(k) match

Also look for the company to back out of the agreement to pick up the shortfall on the central states health and welfare

Which in my humble opinion UPS shouldn't pay the Teamsters anymore ( remember UPS already paid them why should they have to give them more money)

Keep in mind we must be realistic any body can do this job off the street now with the addition of Orion we strike it will be nothing like 97 the company is crippled they said they would never be caught with your pants down again just saying

How many of these threads are you planning on starting, you management shill?

Most analysts say, if we do go on strike, we will probably lose about 30% of our volume which is about 4 million packages a day. Truly, that is concerning granted I don’t argue or dispute The fact that the company made billions of dollars during the pandemic and because of that, we should be able to get some of those profits as well, considering it was done on our backs, not to mention, we gave up a lot of time with our families, and, of course, put our own health at risk, but the problem is going to be, as we are, probably not gonna see those profits anywhere near that due to the fact those profits were all made off of the pandemic, and now that the volume has slowed all delivery companies are struggling, laying people off, and of course, searching for volume. I don’t know what the real answer is other than the fact that maybe they could give us a huge signing bonus with a reasonable cost of living adjustment but eventually we have to top off I mean think about it in five more years from now are we gonna be looking for 60 or $65 an hour we must be reasonable or in the end this company will end up like SEARS & ROBUCK of shipping one last nugget for thought if in the event, the Teamsters are able to successfully unionized Amazon, we will no longer be the big guy on the block and in five years from now will we be yellow freight? I don’t know about you, but I sure enjoy my benefits, I have and very good standard of living, and would hate to lose it all but your truly has to be a points where we top off for 36 years I’ve worked for this job, and every year I received a raise

Back again, just in time…:nonono:

Boston25

Growing up with my father going on strike many many times he always told me no one ever truly wins in a strike. But look at everything g UPS and done and gotten away with for the last 5,10,15 years now. If there’s any time to stand up and fight this company now is the time. Regardless of what the outcome is we all need to stick together PT and FT. I’m sick of hearing FT complain about PT and vice versa. That’s what UPS wants to hear. They want us divided. No matter what our opinions are we have to keep it to ourselves and give this company the ass kicking it deserves.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Let me know if I'm thinking about this correctly.

This is a hypothetical scenario where two Managers both make $100,000/year and are eligible for 3% OIP, and were hired before 2008. The only difference in these Managers is that one owns no UPS A stock on 12/1/22 and the other holds $280,000 worth (based on the Jan 1-Dec 1, 2022 average stock price). I'm using $280,000 because that is the amount necessary to get the full OIP Award and thus maxes out their salary increase ($280,000 x 3%= $8400).

Current Salary per YearCurrent Salary per MonthStock Ownership Amount on Dec 1, 2022New Salary 2023MIP Award 2023 (20%)Pension Offset in 2023 (13%)Total
$100,000$8,333$0$111,000$22,200$14,430$147,630
$100,000$8,333$280,000$119,333$23,867$15,513$158,713
Difference$8,333$1,667$1,083$11,083

So, all other things being equal, the difference between maxing out the one time OIP salary adjustment is $11,000 in the first year. Each year after that (again, all other things being equal), the number gets larger. In 2028, the Pension Offset becomes 15%, so that number grows a bit too.
So if Manager #2 stays with the company for 10 more years until they retire, they will make at least $110,000 more than Manager #1 would, all other things equal. Manager #1 is essentially buying an $11,000/year raise for a $280,000 short term investment, as that Manager could sell all the stock on Dec 2 and still lock in the raise. Of course, that Manager will probably hold onto the stock until Dec 31, 2022 to get the 2022 OIP Award of $8,333.

Is this right? Am I missing something?

We can clearly see you got your raises already…

Fairly substantial raises too boot…:thumbsup:

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Why anyone defends a big business that made record profits in the billions is beyond me. It’s a certain level of stupid.
Could you start a delivery company with a bicycle and grow it into a 100 billion dollar business in a century? What makes you entitled to that profit other than the amount of labor you agreed to and willingly sold to said company?

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

The stockholders and corporate heads will lose some money, those losses will be passed onto the consumer with increased shipping prices, negligible when you spread it out over tens of millions of boxes. Low seniority drivers and inside workers will be laid off, and nobody will be hired for a bit. The union will get new due paying members from Amazon and FedEx to make up the losses or a bailout from Joe, all this heavy handedness is to win them over. In the end the house wins and the people who would benefit from whatever it is the union wants in the contract won’t have a job to take advantage of it.

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
You make a good point.

Truly, it’s two greedy entities fighting for power and money and we are just in the middle of it collecting the scraps that fall down to us.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
One big advantage you guys have at this point is FedEx is imploding right now, both Express and Ground. Regardless of how long a strike might last, and even if customers bail on UPS after a strike, I have a feeling they’ll be back sooner than they did in 1997. Read any thread on the FedEx side of this site to see what is going on there.

I want this company to be very successful because I’ve seen what happens when companies are not. I also want this company to share in those profits at contract time.
I think any employee that works here going to pandemics you get a little extra.

That beat me up so bad it was ridiculous.
We couldn't get stinking box of donuts but I'm glad management got a bonus out of the pandemic....
This still bothers me to this day

Mplayers2006

The Most Hated Troll 😈
One big advantage you guys have at this point is FedEx is imploding right now, both Express and Ground. Regardless of how long a strike might last, and even if customers bail on UPS after a strike, I have a feeling they’ll be back sooner than they did in 1997. Read any thread on the FedEx side of this site to see what is going on there.
yeah for now, but what about next contract or strike ? This issue will always loom over UPS and prevent it from growing. The OP point stands.

Cowboy Mac

I think any employee that works here going to pandemics you get a little extra.

That beat me up so bad it was ridiculous.
We couldn't get stinking box of donuts but I'm glad management got a bonus out of the pandemic....
This still bothers me to this day
We should never forget the way we were treated during the pandemic. By UPS and our government.