Amazon "Express"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Right some are better off self investing, but most aren't, self responsibility or not. Private investing would also be susceptible to market crashes.

So the alternative is the government, which is well known for its ability to manage money in a responsible way.

bacha29

Sure Dano you could go with 100K at 30% if you are willing to take the RISK. The 3% figure I mentioned is a conservative return based on the 10yr Treasury which is now paying less than 2%. Now if you are a TRUE libertarian like Bigwork claims to be then if you want a road you build it yourself. Law enforcement? You are the police. Want to send your kid to college? You build the campus yourself and hire the professors to teach them. Need healthcare? You build and staff your own facility. That's what true libertarianism is all about and that's why the American people rejected Rand Paul and his equally nuts old man. A flat tax ? Why should the guy working for Fred S making maybe $ 45,000 a year have to pay the same tax rate as Fred S who's worth nearly 4 billion?

vantexan

It is somewhat amazing how many people take all of that for total granted. That absolutely everything the gov't does is bad and wrong. There is only one party and station that sells this 24/7 to the point people just don't even think deeply anymore and just go right along. Think people.
It's funny to me that we're reminded over and over that our nation's infrastructure is crumbling yet why aren't the taxes collected, such as gasoline taxes, being spent to fix said problems? This is what we're against, the freewheeling spending with little to show for it. Seems too much of our hard earned taxes goes to "social" programs designed to keep certain constituencies happy so the votes keep rolling in. We're $19 trillion in debt and growing, and that's money spent, not $5 trillion for Social Security. And rather than face the music and fix the problem we have too many determined to vote for whoever will keep Uncle Sugar spending. I despise those who lie to, cheat, and abuse their employees to enrich themselves. But able bodied people who let the gov't be their nanny with no regard to where that money comes from deserve condemnation also. We're broke people! We're arguing over the merits of Social Security but if we don't control the spending Social Security will be another failed program we'll reminisce about. Only too many seniors will suffer because of our collective irresponsibility.

vantexan

That's exactly what Social Security is. Obligations are paid from incoming payments rather than from the growth of the investment. When practiced in the private sector, it's called fraud and you can go to prison for operating such a thing.
The difference is a Ponzi scheme keeps people in the dark about where the money being paid to them came from. If the investors knew what was going on they wouldn't participate. Social Security isn't an investment, it's a tax intended to prevent seniors, minor children with deceased parents, and the disabled from being impoverished and destitute. It needs tweaking, but the fact remains when SS is down to just the weekly contributions it'll still pay at least 75% of promised benefits.

bacha29

Cutting spending is great Van but where do you want to start? Veterans programs? How about Medicaid which pays for the people in nursing homes whose savings have long since been exhausted? How about school lunch programs which is for many kids the only decent meal they get during the day and you yourself talked about a similar experience?. How about FEMA which seemingly has to deal with a storm related natural disaster in your part of the country every day? Maybe the CDC which is fighting the Zeka virus before it hit's the Southern U.S.? Why not the Coast Guard and their drug interdiction efforts? Maybe we could get rid of the FBI you know about all they handle these days is organized crime, counter terrorism , cyber security you know things we could do without? So where do you want to start?

TUT

That's exactly what Social Security is. Obligations are paid from incoming payments rather than from the growth of the investment. When practiced in the private sector, it's called fraud and you can go to prison for operating such a thing.

That's funny, it's actually more understandable and explainable than the stock market. How else could to do it? Invent a new math? Basic Income? You put money in a private fund it's all the same type of thing, the money isn't there in full for everyone if we all cashed in at the same time.

TUT

Here's the way I see it though if the market crashes like total melt down doesn't come back. SS isn't gonna be giving you any money either.

We are gonna be worried about survival not how much retirement income we have. Lol

Total meltdown perhaps. But SS isn't predicated by the stock market and since our currency is the worlds, we can and will print dollars. Now this goes against what is know as the National Dept, but almost all of it is a bill to ourselves. They put out 19 trillion in debt to the public, the way I look at it, that is non-comebackable amount. How can anyone really grasp that amount if it really mattered in terms of survival? We are all still here working and many thriving. It's just yet something else they can hang on us to make us feel like perhaps we haven't given are all yet. It's a human debt based on a human number it isn't a natural resource, it can and is manipulated.

vantexan

Cutting spending is great Van but where do you want to start? Veterans programs? How about Medicaid which pays for the people in nursing homes whose savings have long since been exhausted? How about school lunch programs which is for many kids the only decent meal they get during the day and you yourself talked about a similar experience?. How about FEMA which seemingly has to deal with a storm related natural disaster in your part of the country every day? Maybe the CDC which is fighting the Zeka virus before it hit's the Southern U.S.? Why not the Coast Guard and their drug interdiction efforts? Maybe we could get rid of the FBI you know about all they handle these days is organized crime, counter terrorism , cyber security you know things we could do without? So where do you want to start?
We could start with not giving a half billion dollars to a company that gave large campaign contributions and then went belly up 3 months later. Same company that previous administration refused to give money to because business wasn't viable in light of competition from China. That's one of many examples. There's a report put out by a Republican Congressman every year that highlights the waste and it's mind boggling. You want to point to necessary programs but there's so much more going on. Cronyism run amuck. If you're for that I'll just throw up my arms and say why bother talking to you.

Last edited:

vantexan

Total meltdown perhaps. But SS isn't predicated by the stock market and since our currency is the worlds, we can and will print dollars. Now this goes against what is know as the National Dept, but almost all of it is a bill to ourselves. They put out 19 trillion in debt to the public, the way I look at it, that is non-comebackable amount. How can anyone really grasp that amount if it really mattered in terms of survival? We are all still here working and many thriving. It's just yet something else they can hang on us to make us feel like perhaps we haven't given are all yet. It's a human debt based on a human number it isn't a natural resource, it can and is manipulated.
B.S.. We're the world's largest debtor nation and servicing that debt is taking an ever bigger slice of our budget. Those countries that buy our bonds don't like being paid back in conjured up dollars either. Continuing to do so will eventually push the world to seek an alternative reserve currency, something that has been seriously discussed by the BRIC nations.

TUT

Cutting spending is great Van but where do you want to start?

There is one place to start because it's the greatest cost and it trumps all other nations and ironically and I mean ironically it is the one expenditure republicans are ok with... they are against gov't spending... except the grand daddy of spending. MILITARY. And well it's about killing one another, we suck and blow.

I think I'm getting a fair return on taxes... looks around lifestyles are still improving overall. Yes I know there is corruption in gov't and all walks of life. But no matter what you think the right way is, corruption will be there as well. Imo it has to be expected because it's always going to be there if we like it or not, man will take advantage of their position. So whatever the new way is, it will be corrupt and inefficient as well. So whatever change one thinks is better, chances are... meet the new, same as the ole.

TUT

B.S.. We're the world's largest debtor nation and servicing that debt is taking an ever bigger slice of our budget. Those countries that buy our bonds don't like being paid back in conjured up dollars either. Continuing to do so will eventually push the world to seek an alternative reserve currency, something that has been seriously discussed by the BRIC nations.

That could happen, but then that will just come to the same place as we are today in time. The Western world is setup for continued growth, the problem is that can't always be and then the debt stacks up. We are the worlds debt, this is mankind's debt.

vantexan

There is one place to start because it's the greatest cost and it trumps all other nations and ironically and I mean ironically it is the one expenditure republicans are ok with... they are against gov't spending... except the grand daddy of spending. MILITARY. And well it's about killing one another, we suck and blow.

I think I'm getting a fair return on taxes... looks around lifestyles are still improving overall. Yes I know there is corruption in gov't and all walks of life. But no matter what you think the right way is, corruption will be there as well. Imo it has to be expected because it's always going to be there if we like it or not, man will take advantage of their position. So whatever the new way is, it will be corrupt and inefficient as well. So whatever change one thinks is better, chances are... meet the new, same as the ole.
The military isn't the biggest drain on the budget but like the entire gov't it certainly needs trimming. I even agree with Trump on this one thing, we don't need to pay to protect the most prosperous nations on Earth. If they want us there they should pay.

vantexan

That could happen, but then that will just come to the same place as we are today in time. The Western world is setup for continued growth, the problem is that can't always be and then the debt stacks up. We are the worlds debt, this is mankind's debt.
Well the mankind that is suffering because of it is the American taxpayer.

TUT

The webs we weave...

House Republicans yesterday released a plan to slash the Federal Communications Commission's budget by $69 million and prevent the FCC from enforcing net neutrality rules, "rate regulation," and its plan to boost competition in the set-top box market.

The proposal is the latest of many attempts to gut the FCC's authority, though it's unusual in that it takes aim at two of FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler's signature projects while also cutting the agency's budget. The plan is part of the government's annual appropriations bill.

So on one side of the coin, great the Gov't is cutting spending towards the FCC program. But then why are they doing this? Because the FCC passed consumer friendly regulations. So great if this were to go through, we save some gov't dollars, the debt is still 19 trillion and counting, but now we'll spend more for internet and such because that is what big business wants. I'm sure many of us are aware of how poorly big business has kept promises in the broadband world after been given billions of dollars to build it. Also nice way of doing business, we didn't get what we wanted so we'll gut you, so the next time around the FCC is going to just ask business "What do you want?" so they can keep their jobs.

59 Dano

Sure Dano you could go with 100K at 30% if you are willing to take the RISK. The 3% figure I mentioned is a conservative return based on the 10yr Treasury which is now paying less than 2%.

There are dozens of ways to get there. You're focused on one.

Now if you are a TRUE libertarian like Bigwork claims to be then if you want a road you build it yourself. Law enforcement? You are the police. Want to send your kid to college? You build the campus yourself and hire the professors to teach them. Need healthcare? You build and staff your own facility. That's what true libertarianism is all about and that's why the American people rejected Rand Paul and his equally nuts old man. A flat tax ? Why should the guy working for Fred S making maybe $ 45,000 a year have to pay the same tax rate as Fred S who's worth nearly 4 billion?

Do you know how ridiculous you sound?

59 Dano

The difference is a Ponzi scheme keeps people in the dark about where the money being paid to them came from. If the investors knew what was going on they wouldn't participate. Social Security isn't an investment, it's a tax intended to prevent seniors, minor children with deceased parents, and the disabled from being impoverished and destitute. It needs tweaking, but the fact remains when SS is down to just the weekly contributions it'll still pay at least 75% of promised benefits.

Being able to meet 75% of your obligations is not a good thing.

59 Dano

Go take a peek at the federal budget. There are billions of dollars being spent on programs that 90% of the citizens don't even know exist.

59 Dano

That's funny, it's actually more understandable and explainable than the stock market. How else could to do it? Invent a new math? Basic Income? You put money in a private fund it's all the same type of thing, the money isn't there in full for everyone if we all cashed in at the same time.

What money isn't there?

59 Dano

There is one place to start because it's the greatest cost and it trumps all other nations and ironically and I mean ironically it is the one expenditure republicans are ok with... they are against gov't spending... except the grand daddy of spending. MILITARY.

What's ironic about it? Conservatives have little problem with funding the legitimate functions of government.