Any New Firings/Layoffs/News?

Gone fishin

The funny thing about your post is that FedEx thinks no such thing, nor does it care.

Another gem from the Repository of Bad Takes.
1691631551099.png

Brown Down

Was told by an Express guy that Youngstown Oh gave their drivers notice a few days ago. Either severance or ground. I feel bad for all of you guys having to go through this. I know quite a few right in the middle of their careers with Express and most aren't sure what they are gonna do, except they won't go ground.

Gone fishin

You think that "you can go work for Ground if you want" = "they think Express people will flock to Ground."

Try reading beyond an 8th grade level.
That’s what they’re thinking skippy , ground can’t function without adding drivers after getting express deliveries and pickups. There’s only so many freaks that will work for ground.
Grow up Peter Pan

bacha29

That’s what they’re thinking skippy , ground can’t function without adding drivers after getting express deliveries and pickups. There’s only so many freaks that will work for ground.
Grow up Peter Pan
After posting the letter directly from corporate Dano has no rounds left in his chamber.
The letter simply proves conclusively that it was the dumb assumption on the part of corporate that they could simply shoo their drivers over to Ground and they would happily go out on a continuous daily basis, match the production of the average UPS driver for a third the wages and zero benefits.
Reaffirms what many of you have said regarding how completely detached corporate is when it comes to the daily operations of it's company.

Gone fishin

After posting the letter directly from corporate Dano has no rounds left in his chamber.
The letter simply proves conclusively that it was the dumb assumption on the part of corporate that they could simply shoo their drivers over to Ground and they would happily go out on a continuous daily basis, match the production of the average UPS driver for a third the wages and zero benefits.
Reaffirms what many of you have said regarding how completely detached corporate is when it comes to the daily operations of it's company.
Exactly, that dude must be struggling with this merger. No express employee would go to ground. Take the severance , take unemployment and that should give you a reasonable time to find a job.
It sucks , but sucks less than working at ground

bacha29

See the section under the highlighted part
Get along little doggies. Go over to Ground and drag that stolen motor freight around all day. Now you'll see crates all over the place that clearly can and should be palletized that say "TEAM LIFT". Well pal you are the team .
Seriously, as evidenced by the way they encourage people to go borrow a bunch of money and take a contract there must be a lot of abandoned routes out there.

The notices are conclusive proof (regardless of what Dano claims to the contrary) the dumb assumption that the laid off Express drivers would in large numbers go to Ground weighed heavily on the decision to take the action you see unfolding.

Even if Express was a union shop it would not have prevented the decision to take the measures the company is currently undertaking. But there is a way to hit back.... Don't go over to Ground.... All you would be doing is to help facilitate this little scheme .Cut yourself completely free and clear of this entanglement.

FedupExpress

Get along little doggies. Go over to Ground and drag that stolen motor freight around all day. Now you'll see crates all over the place that clearly can and should be palletized that say "TEAM LIFT". Well pal you are the team .
Seriously, as evidenced by the way they encourage people to go borrow a bunch of money and take a contract there must be a lot of abandoned routes out there.

The notices are conclusive proof (regardless of what Dano claims to the contrary) the dumb assumption that the laid off Express drivers would in large numbers go to Ground weighed heavily on the decision to take the action you see unfolding.

Even if Express was a union shop it would not have prevented the decision to take the measures the company is currently undertaking. But there is a way to hit back.... Don't go over to Ground.... All you would be doing is to help facilitate this little scheme .Cut yourself completely free and clear of this entanglement.
100% I am ready to quit as it is, I don't mind taking a job at the mall meanwhile I find something else.

Fortunately I don't have children to feed.

Artee

Surely no express driver would go to ground for more work and less pay and benefits. I wouldn’t think so anyway
No higher seniority Express driver would go to ground. It would most likely be the newer express drivers, who's salary would closely match a ground drivers salary and would still be young enough to where a hard days work would not bother them. A 55 year old, 30 year express driver and a job working at ground would not be a great match for either side.

bacha29

If not mistaken, severance requires one to work until laid off, and forego claiming unemployment.
Given that the state's run the UC program whether severance would disqualify a UC claim would probably depend on the laws of the state in which one resides. And given that severance pay is subject to withholding and some states may be claiming that the individual is technically still working.
However if the severance is equal to a certain number of weeks 2 weeks, 4 weeks or whatever but following the timeline in terms of the weeks following your last day and if you still are jobless then why shouldn't a claim be honored?

Say you receive 4 weeks of severance pay on your final trip out the door at the end of the day and a month later you're still jobless I would be filing a UC claim and prepared to fight to get it.

MassWineGuy

Ok. I’ll refuse severance and refuse to relocate. I’d be able to truthfully claim that severance would not be adequate and unemployment compensation would be better financially.

vantexan

100% I am ready to quit as it is, I don't mind taking a job at the mall meanwhile I find something else.

Fortunately I don't have children to feed.
If I hadn't retired at 55, 61 now, I'd take the severance then apply for my pension right after. Years ago they gave employees a choice as to whether they would voluntarily go into the new pension plan or stay with the traditional. A year after that they forced us all into the new plan but gave us extra money into the new plan for five years to supposedly make up for what we would lose in the switchover. But the ones who had voluntarily gone into the new plan a year before were told they wouldn't get any extra money because they had voluntarily chosen to take the new plan. And boy were they praising the new plan when they tried to get us to switch voluntarily. So if I was 60+ and seeing the eventual layoffs on the horizon I would definitely hang in there until they paid me severance to leave. They'd like nothing more than those who could take their pension now to go ahead and leave voluntarily. This company that used to preach people-service-profit is anything but people first. Biggest bunch of BS artists out there.

Guitarman01

Was told by an Express guy that Youngstown Oh gave their drivers notice a few days ago. Either severance or ground. I feel bad for all of you guys having to go through this. I know quite a few right in the middle of their careers with Express and most aren't sure what they are gonna do, except they won't go ground.
Right the logic is pretty simple, why continue to work for a company that ended up screwing you to begin with? Unless you don't have a choice, but it's not like the pay at express is beyond exceptional.

dezguy

Meanwhile, here the company has told us that ground contractors will be bought out at 15% over the value of their route and offered ft employment and retain their seniority, if they decide to move to Express. Their employees, meanwhile will not be offered guaranteed employment but can apply to Express as a new employee, losing any seniority they accrued working at ground.

At the same time, ground contractors are telling their employees they will simply move over to Express and keep doing what they have been doing, while keeping their seniority and route.

One side is being lied to (or very well could be both sides being lied to.). Though, I tend to believe contractors are lying to their employees as I have also been told any contractor that remains until the merger is complete will receive a bonus, so they probably are telling their guys whatever it takes to keep them from running for the door.