Any news on raises?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Be thankful. Up here the most we're going to be able to get this year is 1.25% and that's if you get anything above a 6.6 on your review. They changed the way they review us too so every missed van scan or missed del scan goes against you. They've pretty much made it impossible to get anywhere near a 6.6 now. My manager showed me what my review would be a few months ago and it was a 5.7. I earned a top raise last year and now all of a sudden I'm only worth a 5.7 without changing the way I do my job or my efficiency.

Western or Eastern Canada? It sounds like the Canadian laws keep Freddie more in-check than in the States. When I visit up North, I see companies like CF and Purolator, still alive and well long after they were dead here in the US. Canadian Tire and Tim Horton's, eh?

Serf

Quick intro about me. I am a Shuttle Driver, not a Courier with Express. Our station Senior Manager told us last night 2% raise has gone into effect 7 OCT 2013. However, if you have a Handler job description attached to your job description you will not be seeing a raise. This is because "FedEx has compared this job title to others in the open market, and deemed it a fair wage". Also remember, your benefits enrollment is open on the 15th. Honest to God do not really give two fuc$s. Because like others have said, in essence it is no raise at all. But how about that for morale. Not all hourlies are worth a raise in our company. I do massive bulk pick ups and shuttle down to the airport with 300-400 pieces. But I am not worth 27 more cents an hour.

hypo hanna

The fact is if you are an hourly at fedex, you are on a fast track to the poor house except you get to work like a dog on the way.

dezguy

Western or Eastern Canada? It sounds like the Canadian laws keep Freddie more in-check than in the States. When I visit up North, I see companies like CF and Purolator, still alive and well long after they were dead here in the US. Canadian Tire and Tim Horton's, eh?

I'd rather not say what part of Canada I'm in. We don't have something like the RLA in Canada so, really at any time we can organize. We can also organize on a sta to sta basis so I think that is was keeps Freddy from screwing us over as badly as you guys seem to get it. Still, we've seen our fair share of screw jobs. The best one was, during the recession our raises were capped at .7%. I ended up with a $0.15 raise. Even in high school, working fast food I'd at least get a $0.25 raise. That was the biggest slap in the face I have ever gotten. Really showed you what the company thinks of its employees.

!Retired!

I do massive bulk pick ups and shuttle down to the airport with 300-400 pieces. But I am not worth 27 more cents an hour.
Let's see if I got this right. You do pickups, yet paid handler rate?
I'd rather not say what part of Canada I'm in. We don't have something like the RLA in Canada so, really at any time we can organize. We can also organize on a sta to sta basis so I think that is was keeps Freddy from screwing us over as badly as you guys seem to get it. Still, we've seen our fair share of screw jobs. The best one was, during the recession our raises were capped at .7%. I ended up with a $0.15 raise. Even in high school, working fast food I'd at least get a $0.25 raise. That was the biggest slap in the face I have ever gotten. Really showed you what the company thinks of its employees.
Congratulations on your .7% raise. That should satisfy you and stop you from attempting to organize. If it doesn't and you CAN organize.....why wouldn't you try?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Congratulations on your .7% raise. That should satisfy you and stop you from attempting to organize. If it doesn't and you CAN organize.....why wouldn't you try?

Great point. Why not organize? My sense is that Fred does the same thing in Canada that he does with FedEx Freight, which is to accelerate top-out times. Plus, Canada is more pro-labour (Canadian spelling) overall. Tell FWS to stick it in his ass. BTW, where are the unions on this one? They should be all over this, especially since it sounds like you're not happy campers.

Serf

Correct Jackal. My job title in Handler/Shuttle Driver (DOT). I will go to a warehouse and put hundreds of pieces on a cons tag, bring it back to the station or send it on a tractor trailer. Than I will reload my truck and head straight to the ramp with an unholy amount of crap in the back. Empty my truck, drive home. Proceed to drink.

whenIgetthere

We just had two new hires off the street to run FO routes. These two routes were part of two employees extended areas, run FO in the vicinity of the station, come back, van their freight, then head out for the day. With the FO, they were getting 42 hours a week, now they are losing about 90 minutes per day. So these geniuses hired two employees to work a grand total of 7-1/2 to 8 hours per week each! Now the two couriers are getting minimums now, and we know that'll change as soon as the :censored2: wipe on top figures he can get away with dumping minimums,

dezguy

We just had an organization drive a few years ago with Teamsters Canada. Problem is, Teamsters Canada is an absolute joke. Guys over at UPS and Purolator I would talk to would tell me not to sign a union card with Teamsters because they don't really do anything for them other than negotiate their contracts.

A new super union was formed between the Canadian Auto Workers union and paper and communications union, called Unifor. There have been some rumours that they might take up an organization drive because organizing the 6000 FedEx Express employees in Canada would be a pretty nice feather in their cap but I make deliveries 2-3 times a week to the CAW hall in my city and they say they haven't heard of anything about that.

As I've said before, there is a lot of old blood here who don't care about anyone other than themselves. They're at top rate, were able to get to top rate in a couple of years and don't care that the rest of us aren't even close to top rate, even with more than 10 years seniority. It's a case of they got theirs, too bad for everyone else. They figure that a union can't do anything more for them so why should they have to pay union dues for something that does nothing for them.

Until we can drain the old blood, we won't be able to organize here.

Great point. Why not organize? My sense is that Fred does the same thing in Canada that he does with FedEx Freight, which is to accelerate top-out times. Plus, Canada is more pro-labour (Canadian spelling) overall. Tell FWS to stick it in his ass. BTW, where are the unions on this one? They should be all over this, especially since it sounds like you're not happy campers.

During the recession, they decided to bump anyone with 5 years in up to job rate. This just so happened to coincide with the Teamsters organization efforts. Now they're going back after us by capping our raises at 1.25% and even that will be next to impossible to get because now any missed POD or van scan goes against you on your review.

Canada isn't as pro-labour as it used to be. A lot of people blame the unions for plant closures and repatriotization to the US. The CEO's of these companies are laughing their asses off at the middle class because people blame the unions for being greedy, meanwhile they get million dollar bonuses for driving these companies into the ground.

As far as I know, Teamsters has abandoned their organization efforts after it was only able to organize some office workers in Mississauga, Ontario. It was a massive failure. I've heard of other unions considering taking up where Teamsters left off but haven't heard or seen anything concrete.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We just had an organization drive a few years ago with Teamsters Canada. Problem is, Teamsters Canada is an absolute joke. Guys over at UPS and Purolator I would talk to would tell me not to sign a union card with Teamsters because they don't really do anything for them other than negotiate their contracts.

A new super union was formed between the Canadian Auto Workers union and paper and communications union, called Unifor. There have been some rumours that they might take up an organization drive because organizing the 6000 FedEx Express employees in Canada would be a pretty nice feather in their cap but I make deliveries 2-3 times a week to the CAW hall in my city and they say they haven't heard of anything about that.

As I've said before, there is a lot of old blood here who don't care about anyone other than themselves. They're at top rate, were able to get to top rate in a couple of years and don't care that the rest of us aren't even close to top rate, even with more than 10 years seniority. It's a case of they got theirs, too bad for everyone else. They figure that a union can't do anything more for them so why should they have to pay union dues for something that does nothing for them.

Until we can drain the old blood, we won't be able to organize here.

During the recession, they decided to bump anyone with 5 years in up to job rate. This just so happened to coincide with the Teamsters organization efforts. Now they're going back after us by capping our raises at 1.25% and even that will be next to impossible to get because now any missed POD or van scan goes against you on your review.

Canada isn't as pro-labour as it used to be. A lot of people blame the unions for plant closures and repatriotization to the US. The CEO's of these companies are laughing their asses off at the middle class because people blame the unions for being greedy, meanwhile they get million dollar bonuses for driving these companies into the ground.

As far as I know, Teamsters has abandoned their organization efforts after it was only able to organize some office workers in Mississauga, Ontario. It was a massive failure. I've heard of other unions considering taking up where Teamsters left off but haven't heard or seen anything concrete.

This is a very good example of how we need to deal with Fred. Please notice that they went to the 5-year top-out only when threatened with a union. Our pilots learned this lesson very well, because after Smith wouldn't stop jacking them around, they responded and rewarded him with a union, which he richly deserved. He was forced to negotiate.

I would strongly suggest that Canadian Express employees use their non-RLA status now to unionize as a preventive measure against further cuts and more onerous work rules. You'll be glad you took measures to stop Mr. Smith before he rapes you like he did us. If you live in the EU or some other location that is already unionized, use that leverage now to keep what you've got.

The Teamsters have been a huge disappointment, and they deserve to wither away and die if they don't have the cajones to attract new membership through aggressive organization efforts.

overflowed

During the recession, they decided to bump anyone with 5 years in up to job rate. This just so happened to coincide with the Teamsters organization efforts.

So they bumped top out to 5 years because they are so afraid of unionization? How long in Canada did it take to top out before that? Or was it the same as the US is now just a lie to get people to take the jobs. I know when I was hired they said a few times how much top out is and when asked they said about 5-7 years. Neglected to be truthful on that one I think.

dezguy

During the recession, they decided to bump anyone with 5 years in up to job rate. This just so happened to coincide with the Teamsters organization efforts.

So they bumped top out to 5 years because they are so afraid of unionization? How long in Canada did it take to top out before that? Or was it the same as the US is now just a lie to get people to take the jobs. I know when I was hired they said a few times how much top out is and when asked they said about 5-7 years. Neglected to be truthful on that one I think.

Not top out, job rate. That is the rate between starting wage and top out. I have over ten years and it would have still taken me till year 17 or 18 to get to top wage, that was until they readjusted raise scale, capping us at 1.25% for a 6.6 review. Now, it'll probably take me somewhere over two decades with the company to hit top wage.

Before this, there were people at my sta with close to 20 years who had just gotten past job rate. My estimation would be it would have taken about 30 years to hit top rate based on the old way. With the new way they do raises, around 20 years. I love when my co workers justify it too by saying it keeps people working harder because they have something to look forward to. Are you kidding me?!?!

I've heard from a few of the newer PT's at my sta that they were told they would get FT within 5 years, meanwhile we have guys who are PT who have been working there for almost 10 years. When any full timer leaves or retires, they turn that route into two PT routes. Seems the lying is happening on both sides of the border.

overflowed

Not top out, job rate. That is the rate between starting wage and top out. I have over ten years and it would have still taken me till year 17 or 18 to get to top wage, that was until they readjusted raise scale, capping us at 1.25% for a 6.6 review. Now, it'll probably take me somewhere over two decades with the company to hit top wage.

Before this, there were people at my sta with close to 20 years who had just gotten past job rate. My estimation would be it would have taken about 30 years to hit top rate based on the old way. With the new way they do raises, around 20 years. I love when my co workers justify it too by saying it keeps people working harder because they have something to look forward to. Are you kidding me?!?!

I've heard from a few of the newer PT's at my sta that they were told they would get FT within 5 years, meanwhile we have guys who are PT who have been working there for almost 10 years. When any full timer leaves or retires, they turn that route into two PT routes. Seems the lying is happening on both sides of the border.

Thx for the clarification. I didn't know what job rate the way you used it was. When I looked it up I it said something like maximum salary of a position or some such. Canada is nice I like it. It's like being in the US except the people are nicer and the woman are all good looking.:happy-very:

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I love when my co workers justify it too by saying it keeps people working harder because they have something to look forward to. Are you kidding me?!?!

ha ha!!, evidently mgmt. in Canada serves up the same heaping buckets of purple Kool-Aid they serve down here.....perhaps you guys' just has a slight hint of maple to it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I also misunderstood the term "job rate". So, it sounds like your rectums are the diameter of garbage cans too. I strongly suggest you get to work on a union up there. You sound way too placid considering you don't have an RLA yoke around your neck. Get to it, eh?

dezguy

I also misunderstood the term "job rate". So, it sounds like your rectums are the diameter of garbage cans too. I strongly suggest you get to work on a union up there. You sound way too placid considering you don't have an RLA yoke around your neck. Get to it, eh?

As I've said, too much old blood working for the company. They got theirs, so screw everyone else. A lot of those guys are going to be retiring in the next ten years, maybe by the time I get 20 years in, we'll have a realistic shot at organizing.

HomeDelivery

The fact is if you are an hourly at fedex, you are on a fast track to the poor house except you get to work like a dog on the way.

well then, we should ALL have that stupid dog logo patches on our left shoulder:

fedex_home_delivery_logo_2779.gif

anyone have a lead to what this dog is about?
fedex_home_delivery_logo_2779.gif