Anybody out there doing something different to save money on gas???

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
First thread for me. Wanted to know if anyone out there in brown is doing anything differently these days to save money on gas. Have you changed where you travel to, shop or the length of your commute?
About 2 years ago I started riding my bike to work, one or two days a week, just for the exercise of it all. As gas prices increased I added days to my commute. I'm now at the point where I ride my bike 5-6 days a week and use my SUV one day. I ride about 26 miles round trip each day. I have noticed other people in my community doing the same thing. I've calculated my savings and figure I'm saving about $250.00 a month. That's at $3.80/gal. I've also lost weight, cholesterol points and feel like I did at 19 years old. The local news did a segment on me. So I'm wondering, what others are doing differently to save cash.

BTW, I do ride rain or shine on the days I ride, barring the occasional Hurricane or Tropical storm.:happy-very:

omgitsnick

i just take it easy on the pedal and but gas cards that save me 10cents a gallon. also giant eagle for gift cards to use for their fuel perks.:happy2:

Big Babooba

I used to bicycle to work. Sometimes I even walked home If somebody had given me a ride in that day. The distance was about 4 1/2 miles each way. I actually got there faster on the bike than in a car because there was a bridge I took near our building that was closed to motor vehicles. Everybody else had to cross the river on the interstate. The bridge was taken down and that ended my bicycle commute because now the only way to get thayah from heyah is to take the interstate.

over9five

Staff member
Cool news story, Steve. I have done nothing to limit my gas consumption.

35 miles each way to work, no way I'm pedaling!

B

brown observer

The commute for me if I had a bike is just too dangerous. People here just don't respect riders of any kind. Besides I'd have to dig out my Scwinn with banana seat from storage!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Cool news story, Steve. I have done nothing to limit my gas consumption.

35 miles each way to work, no way I'm pedaling!

This works at home too. For instance; instead of driving to the store down the street, etc... I make my wife ride her bike j/k...LOL....I ride my bike to the store all the time if we just need a few things. I bring my girls along on their bikes for the experience. Of course with my tribe I need to go to city hall and get permits for a parade route.:wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We bought my wife a little 50cc Vespa-style scooter and she rides it to work (8 mile round trip) every day. She always wanted one and she loves riding it. It gets about 80 mpg and it keeps our minivan parked for most of the week.

I commute to work in a 2006 VW Jetta TDI turbodiesel. I get almost 40 MPG on locally-produced biodiesel made from recycled cooking oil. It costs about $.50 more per gallon than petroleum, but I dont care. I can go almost 600 miles on one tank of fuel, and my money stays here in our country instead of helping support terrorism overseas.

barnyard

KTM rider
I bought a motorcycle for my 20 mile per day commute.

I don't know that I am saving any money though. The always, lovely Bon Bon and I go out to breakfast on the weekends, usually at least an hour away. Did not do that with the pickup. I have taken my daughter a few places also. We usually take a circuitous route that ends when the always lovely Bon Bon calls to ask, "what the heck is taking so long, I thought you were going....."

We ride ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) and I do believe that my UPS driver training, plus off road racing, have saved me from several crashes. Lots of drivers, do not see motorcycles........

One of the other drivers was riding a bicycle, but gave it up Labor Day weekend. I thought about it, alot. I still ride my bike, but it is not very comfortable for long rides. Looked at a recumbant, which is very, very tempting.

In the end, the motorcycle is more fun. "Here, hold this, I'll show you how to pop a wheelie."

TB
safety 3rd

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
That is awesome! Very cool alternatives. When I ride at night I use 3 flashing lights in rear and 1 up front. I ride in the road whether there's a bike lane or not, so people tend to not be so happy, even though I'm cruising at like 20mph. That'd kill someone on the sidewalk. I leave my explorer parked all week as well. My wife drives her minivan with all my girls. They all go to the same school now so it is in affect, carpooling. I am still trying to get her to start riding the 6 miles to her school with the girls in a bike trailer though!:happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I've considered that, but doesn't the cost of insurance kill any savings of gas?
I just save d a bunch of money by switching.... Ha Ha! I called my insurance company and told them I ride most of the time. They cut $35 per year off of my premium because I drive less than 7500 miles a year. It's something!

barnyard

KTM rider
I've considered that, but doesn't the cost of insurance kill any savings of gas?

When I did the math, I figured all of the monthly costs of owning an M/C, including insurance, but not the gear (I would have it for touring, anyways.) When gas was at $4.00/gal. with my 50mpg cycle, the gas savings makes the payment all riding season, plus 2 months.

If I receive a performance award, that will kill all the savings.

We have had a couple of things come up where we will be taking 2 vehicles on 3, 250+ mile round trips. My daughter's 30 mph Aveo and my 50 mpg Ulysess are going to make those trips easier to afford.

Next summer, we are going to ride around Lake Superior. Easier and more fun on the MC. More convenient and boring in the car/truck. It's also about the 'adventure.'

TB

rod

Retired 22 years

Actually motorcycle insurance is VERY cheap--at least it is here in the mid-west. I use my m/c for just about all my trips to town. Would you believe the factory saddlebags on my bike will hold a case of beer perfectly. I swear the Japanese guy than designed them used an American case of beer as a template. Oh -and I'm a firm believer that alcohol and 2 wheels don't mix so the beer is for at home.

Mike Hawk

I try to ride a few days a week, I am so much more relaxed after riding my bike that alone makes it worth it. When I move I will be 24 miles away from work, so riding there will be tough, but I will be closer to town when I move so I anticipate a lot more biking around for errands and such, also biking to school.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
22 mile commute . No way would I survive against all those unlicensed, just plaid stupid, and not caring drivers.
During my youth all I did was ride, covered in reflectors & lights at night & back then it was really rough many actually used me as a target to hit.
Today people on bikes scare me.....very few understand our traffic laws that state that a person on a bicycle ( a motorized vehicle ) has to follow the law just like a car or truck. Many fly thru red lights & stops signs with no regard. Crosswalks ( laws states that a pedestrian is some one with 2 feet on the ground ) any one riding on one is required to be walking, you should see the amount of fingers those riders flip my way when I have to honk at them as they fly thru them thinking that I am going to jam on my brakes.