Archives

W

wkmac

That rumor has been floating for months and the grassy knoll theory was that UPS was waiting for Yellow freight to finalized the purchase of Roadway and then Yellow would rollover for Big Brown. When the CS problem blew open the conspiracy went further to say that UPS somehow contrived the whole situation in an effort to get the Teamster Big 3 into the same pot and then takeover the pensions for all 3 thus making a huge profit. The theory goes on and on but IMO someone just had way to much time on their hands after the X-Files left TV.

BTW: To the folks who believe this theory here's a heads up. I drove by work today and saw some weird activity going on so I parked my car and slipped up quietly to observe. They are rigging all the cars with special secret cameras and a high explosive charge under the driver seat. If the driver goofs off then the center manager can observe and ignite the high explosive and eliminate the loofing driver. When authorities investigate it's agreed they will blame it on terrorists.

Wonder how many of them really believe that crap?

D

dannyboy

"You balance out the equation by distorting the facts to the positive despite your complete lack of knowlege on how a mail store operates. Brown colored glasses dont make for good vision."

Oh to the contrary. We look at the same glass and see it is half full of water. We choose to say it is half full, you choose to say it is half empty.

Negative view vs positive view.

d

D

dannyboy

QUESTION:
As a DRIVER, From casual discussion and comments with UPSS owners or employees, what are your impressions and opinion of how the UPSS on your routes are performing? Are they:

JUST SURVIVING -
SURVIVING -
GROWING -
EXCEPTIONAL -

IMHO they are growing. And in this area that is a bit economically depressed and has been for 2-3 years, that is a real testament to the way the owner is overseeing his business. And that is why he owns 5 and will open at least 2 more this year. His long term goals (5 year) is to have at least 20.

Daytona, with what I picked up from your post, you would do well in any business endevour you set your mind to doing. I bet you could make millions selling sand to the Iranians.

Best wishes and good hunting!

d

T

tieguy

This guys not really someone looking for helpfull input. He's a setup. If he is what he claims then he is about the rudest prick I've ever seen ask for advice. Should fit right in with the 2 MBE folks. Notice how he basically kissed the great imposter Capnroxxors but. Clearly too stupid to successfully run a business.

P

proups

capnroxxor: Read very closely the article posted in an earlier thread from ajc.com.....especially this paragraph:

"The problem for UPS Store owners, however, is that UPS capped store shipping rates -- a boon for consumers who get lower prices but a hardship for store owners accustomed to steep markups."

This says it all....proves that loyalmbe was gouging customers as were all the MBEs.

Enough said.....if you need the link to that article, here it is:

https://web.archive.org/web/2004031...com/business/content/business/0104/16ups.html

D

dannyboy

Kinda like the joke "whatdaya get when you merge UPS and FEDEX?"

All joking aside, UPS is in a position to move on expanding. But it will be in a much larger direction with bigger implications. The signs are there and the momentum is building.

d

P

proups

I had a friend that works for Yellow call me and tell me he had heard that UPS was going to buy Yellow. He told me that from what he has been hearing, it is pretty much a done deal.

Never say never!

A

aupss

}How are the UPSS on your routes performing? Are they:

JUST SURVIVING - Currently Just surviving

SURVIVING -

GROWING -

EXCEPTIONAL -

Comments are appreciated.

It is not as simple a question as you have made it.

Talking in terms of UPS shipping

Number of packages shipped up 80%

Gross UPS sales up 41%

Cost of UPS sales up 70%

Increase in GP 4%

So as you can see asking Drivers what they see when they go to many UPSS is of little value, as # of packages are up considerably. This is what the driver sees and assumes boy they are all making a killing. Then you look at the huge increase of cost of sales vs the increase of GP for the store and you see who is making the killing, and why many stores are now complaining.

G

gman

Some people are saying Jan 21, just after Yellows earning reports.
Of course a lot of people predicted the end of the world on Y2K too.

T

tieguy

All of this would appear to us to be smoke and mirrors. Don't you walk into this knowing what your profit per package will be?

Wouldn't your profit per package increase as your volume increases? After all your fixed costs stay fixed.

A

aupss

What smoke and mirrors this is from your own companies software......iShip.

Let me make this easy say last year you shipped 1000 packages. Then this year you shipped 1800 packages.

Your GP only went up 4% while your UPS cost of sales went up 65%. Do you not see even a small difference there. The 4% doesn't even cover the cost of 1 additonal employee for the month of Dec.

So you do the labor to ship 800 more packages and basically did it for free. This is the problem that many stores are running into.

T

tieguy

Your analogy is too vague. Your profit per package should always increase as your volume increases.

D

dannyboy

your UPS cost of sales went up 65%

Lemme see, cost of sales. Seems to me that ought to include labor, as that is a cost of your sales.

So why are you trying to claim it as an additional cost?

d

A

abbear

This is such a state by state thing. For me in California I was given information by Liberty and the state about what my rights were. In California to use an attorney is a waste because the body parts are all already priced out by the state and the attorney can't change them. Plus, his fee comes out of your settlement.

Someone said you have the right to see your own doctor - again it depends on the state. In CA you must see the company doctor for the first 30 days after an injury unless you have previously filed a letter with your employer that you want to see your own doctor.

And once all that is through you get a visit frome the area safety guy telling you they're after your job because you got hurt.

Been there, done that, heard that....

D

daytona

Hey AUPSS - What caused the 65% increase of COGS?

TIEGUY Dont give up your day job.

"Wouldn't your profit per package increase as your volume increases? After all your fixed costs stay fixed."

Look like we have a real Business Major here in Cost accounting

Profit per package would actually go down on increased COGS. You would have to ship tons more volumne to offset the increase.

S

seasoned

now you are getting into semantics. perhaps he should have said cost of goods, would that suit you better. There are lots of expenses that take one from net to gross!

T

tieguy

Nice try my friend.

Your lease of the facility you use is the exact same amount each month regardless of whether you ship 100 packages or 1000 packages.

Your electrical cost will basically be the same. It will vary based on seasonal fluctuations in usage and fuel costs but other wise not be affected or rise if you ship more packages.

You folks wish to play these mumbob jumbo games but you don't need to be a business major to understand this basic of business. Don't play stupid with me or try to dodge the issue by accusing me of not understanding your business. Tell me what fixed costs actually go up when you ship more packages?