Archives

B

brown39

As is referenced by these loser mbe/fdx types showing up on this board, they are desparate as they see their business disappearing due to COMPETITION from an honesty, trustworthy operation..the UPS Stores. Suspending these types on this board just shows how much lies, cheating operations they run.

W

wily_old_vet

Welcome to the board. Sorry it's under such trying circumstances. There is a veil of secrecy around settlements so there's not much anyone can tell you unless they have gone through it. Have you received a permanent disability rating from the compensation commission in your state? Who told you that you can't return to work, your doctor or theirs? If their's and you feel that you can continue to do the job see if you can appeal that decision. The bottom line is that whatever settlement you get it probably won't come close to the wages and pension credits that you would have received if you worked another 10 years to get your 30.

I sent you a private message. did you receive it.

C

cripldupser

I haven't recieved my rating yet but my doctor said it would be significant. I've pretty much lost the use of my shoulder and he said if it came apart again there's nothing left in there to fix. The surgeon I have is the one I chose after convincing Liberty and UPS that their's was an idiot. I know from doing the job so many years that i can't do it anymore. I've always been extremely dedicated to this job but since my injury have come to realize that I'm just a number. Giving your all in the past means nothing so now I'm only looking out for me.

D

dannyboy

I understand your actions. Dont play by the rules, get thrown out of the game.

Will be saving the email. Nutcase like that.....would not be suprised if stalking is not one of the intimidating things they like. Just adds to the case.

d

D

dannyboy

You dont have a tape fetish to you?

NAh, cant be. You are in NC.

Hehehe, we have a driver that has been out on comp for close to two years with the same type of injury, and prob will not be back, ever. Sounds like you two have got some of the same issues.

Email me privatly and maybe we can come up with some solutions.

d

U

upsdude

Before you get too deep into this deal find out how much you owe the lawyer, today. Im serious, I went through two years of comp and faced a similar situation, and fortunately I was able to return to work. My lawyer billed me 2,500.00 for a hand full of phone calls. No calls to Liberty or UPS, just the ones he made to me.

Your State workers comp laws will regulate any settlement. friend Lee Bailey cant get you a dime more.

W

wily_old_vet

upsdude-why did you owe your lawyer money? this type of case is usually a contigency case, they get a percentage of any settlement you receive. In my state what the lawyer receives is determined by the board and is taken off the top of the settlement. Sounds like you got screwed. Did you get a permanent disability rating on your injured body part?

S

seasoned

>>As is referenced by these loser mbe/fdx types showing up on this board, they are desparate as they see their business disappearing due to COMPETITION from an honesty, trustworthy operation..the UPS Stores. Suspending these types on this board just shows how much lies, cheating operations they run.<<

I fail to see how it shows anything of the kind.
Censorship does not prove anything. The moderator does not evaluate the operations, get real.

U

upsdude

One thing I learned after my ordeal ended, never talk to a lawyer without having another lawyer represent you.

Two months after I returned to work I met with my lawyer to find out how much I owed him. My heart stopped when he handed me a bill for 2,500.00. I regained a regular heartbeat only to have him ask for 500.00 a month to pay the tab. We agreed to 150.00 a month, his secretary typed it up and I signed and left as a very angry person. I later learned that the state compensation board would have never approved such an excessive fee. The boards hands were tied because I had agreed to the fee and signed a promissory note.

I did win a small victory though. Every monthly statement from the lawyers office failed to show any reduction in the balance. After repeated request for an accurate balance I stopped sending payments. The lawyer filed a claim in collections court. Thankfully the judge smelled the same rat I did and he ordered me to pay 25.00 a week (with ZERO interest).

The only reason I contacted a lawyer in the beginning was due to the company doctor telling me he would never release me. Thankfully the UPS contracted nurse sent me to another doctor and all is well now.

W

wily_old_vet

dude-sorry for the problems you had with the lawyer. sounds like he was not a lawyer who normally did comp cases. Also it sounds like you did not get a permanent disability rating for your injury. If you had they definitely would have set the payment for your lawyer. I don't know how long ago your injury occurred but I do have some advice. I would contact your business agent at your local and see if they could recommend a good comp lawyer. I would contact that lawyer and ask to discuss your case with him. He should do this at no charge to you. If he feels your case merits a permanent disability rating and its not too late to do it he would get paid from any settlement you receive. It also sounds like you only saw UPS/Liberty Mutual doctors. Whenever you or anyone else on this board is injured you have the right to see a doctor of your own choosing. It will be paid by Liberty Mutual. The doctors used by Liberty Mutual are advocates for them not you.

dude-send me a private e-mail if you want to discuss this further.

U

upsdude

Im very satisfied with the doctor that performed my 2nd and final surgery. He has successfully returned several drivers that had otherwise been given little chance of returning. The guy is absolutely awesome. If your appointment is at 9:00 am, you are seated in the exam room and talking to him by 9:01. My operation was performed on 12/15/99, he started my pt 3/00, he sent me back to partial duty 6/00. Obviously I wasnt rushed back to work. Liberty paid every bill without question and every comp check was on time. I went through several Liberty reps but the first one gave me very good advice. Call your rep at least every two weeks and give them an update. He said that every one of them is overwhelmed with work but if they dont make contact monthly your checks will stop until they hear from you. The company cooperated fully with my restrictions and never questioned anything.

Permanent disability. I dont really have one. Sure, I have titanium plates holding my cervical spine together, but I didnt loose any strength or range of motion.

W

wily_old_vet

dude-if that cervical plate is a result of the injury you most definitely have a permanent disability that you should be compensated for but it is your choice. I'd give it some thought and maybe talk to the doc and see what he thinks. Glad that the surgery worked out and you are able to do the job.

D

dannyboy

Listen to Vet.

You might have full range etc now, but how about 5 years from now, or 10.

Ask the doc that did the surgury also for his opinion, then see one of your own choosing.

I would also get a chiropractors opinion on the matter.

Glad things turned out so good for you. Both times I was injured it was 8 weeks or later before the first check came, and then only after I threatened to get an attorney involved.

d

W

wily_old_vet

dude-not to belabor the point but generally when you get a permanent disability rating part of the settlement is lifetime medical for the injury. Like Dannyboy said you never know when you may be negatively affected by this injury as you get older. Like I suggested before, find a lawyer who does compensation cases on a regular basis. There should be no charge for a consultation. He can give the fine points of the law. You were injured on the job and you deserve any settlement that you might receive. You aren't stealing from the company, this is a part of doing business for them. If you want me to shut up on the subject just tell me to bug off.

C

cripldupser

I have heard that if you can't return to UPS they will find a job for you somewhere else and can force you to take it as part of the settlement. Is this true or some kind of threat tactic? I want to work but don't want to be forced into something I don't want to do as punishment for being hurt on the job. And I was following the methods when I was injured.

M

mr_roboto

but I didnt loose any strength or range of motion.

if that is the case and it has been verified...by law...he has collected every thing he is entitled to through the work comp procedure. Case closed.

roboto

D

daytona

Hello UPS

Im currently out of work and left my previous employer through volunteer leave program. Im considering the ownership of a UPSS. I have been doing much DD on this and have followed other message boards to get a feel on view's, feelings, the Monday morning quarterbacking and perceptions. I thought no better place then here to pose my question to the DRIVERS (on the front lines). I havent posted this question on other boards figuring I would get a bunch of sarcastic, flaming, meaningless opinions. I figured I could get a more objective answer from this board. Dont need "DisLoyal" opinion.

How are the UPSS on your routes performing? Are they:

JUST SURVIVING -

SURVIVING -

GROWING -

EXCEPTIONAL -

Comments are appreciated.

THX

T

tieguy

Get real. The guy threatens someone who disagrees with him and you think he does not have any character flaws?

U

upsdude

mr roboto..............

You are correct. Under Virginia (comp) law, I would have to demonstrate a loss of strength in my arms to be eligible for a disability rating. The intense physical therapy actually made me stronger than I was before the injury.

W

wily_old_vet

crip(not using that in a bad sense)-In my state a lot depends on your age. Up to a certain age you are eligible to be retrained for another occupation. After that age they just find you another job based on what you can physically do. The jobs never come close to replacing the income you get at UPS but then again how many jobs pay the kind of money we make. Your lawyer or the union should be able to tell you if they can force you to take the job. My guess would be no.

dude-sorry if I bugged you about getting a settlement. Every state has different laws so advice from one state could be totally wrong in another as in this case.