Are traffic jams the number one stress for UPS drivers?

hey I wanted to know whats the number one stress about being a driver? is it the traffic?
if you guys had to make your deliveries at night with very little traffic would that reduce the stress from the job greatly?

by having less traffic does it give you guys more time to make your deliveries and not have to constantly rush through work.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Traffic can be stressfull but it is not a major stressor for me. Stupid and unrealistic dispatches cause major stress. Delivering after dark causes stress in that your visibility is diminished.

Future

Victory Ride
I would have to say traffic is a concern, safety is my number one priority while driving. You can be the most cautious driver and follow the safety methods to the letter and some soccer mom or dad runs a red light or something totally insane... bam your in a accident!!

oldngray

nowhere special
I would have to say traffic is a concern, safety is my number one priority while driving. You can be the most cautious driver and follow the safety methods to the letter and some soccer mom or dad runs a red light or something totally insane... bam your in a accident!!

If a soccer mom with a minvan full of rugrats runs a red light and slams into you killing a couple of children, what are the odds of UPS blaming you? Though you might be less likely there since UPS would be admitting liability for lawsuits if they blamed the driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If a soccer mom with a minvan full of rugrats runs a red light and slams into you killing a couple of children, what are the odds of UPS blaming you? Though you might be less likely there since UPS would be admitting liability for lawsuits if they blamed the driver.

This is where Telematics can be your friend.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
When you are finished with work and driving back to building and see that green light do you ignore it until its too late?

Absolutely. I have been instructed by not only my management team but by law enforcement that looking at my diad while the vehicle is in motion is distracted driving and a violation of motor vehicle laws. Besides I sent them a finished work message.

Pooter

As a swing driver, I only stress from 10-10:30am. EVERYTHING is stressful at this point if I still have NDAs.

After that, I could care less about traffic, slow docks/employees, bad dispatch, trains. One stop at a time :)