Are traffic jams the number one stress for UPS drivers?

rod

Retired 22 years
I always thought of traffic jams, funeral processions and long trains at a crossing as easy money. They were especially nice when you had someone riding with you. It was fun to watch them fidget while you sat there twiddling your fingers or picking your nose.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Traffic isn't a stress. I get paid by the hour. Dealing with my wife is stress. I'm the least stressed when I'm carrying a diad and driving the brown truck. Once you fix the things within your control and shrug at the rest, you find the stress is gone.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

oldngray

nowhere special
Define stress.
n. noun
  1. Importance, significance, or emphasis placed on something.

2. The relative force with which a sound or syllable is spoken.

3. The emphasis placed on the sound or syllable spoken most forcefully in a word or phrase.
tr.v.
  1. To place emphasis on.

stressed basic fire safety.

2. To give prominence to (a syllable or word) in pronouncing or in accordance with a metrical pattern.

3. To subject to physical or mental pressure, tension, or strain. https://dictionary.search.yahoo.com...Rjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDMzNV8x?p=stress&.sep=

fuzzynuts

Trust No One
Most Stress for me hmmm...
I would say the harassment I get from management
example
why were you 100 over you had 1 seat belt event 2 bulk head door event recording in travel 19 stops a hour is not good enough
that stresses me out because they cant use that for discipline but they can harass the hell out of you
the scan checks the check in audits make sure you dot your i and cross your T
the being followed every other day to catch me doing something wrong
The Union not doing :censored2: to Stop it that's my stress
Traffic is a walk in the park I do what I need to do to get stuck in it its easy money

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Once you do this for a while you learn to pretty much not stress about anything at all really. You get paid by the hour and are always going to have roadblocks pop up all the time on the job. Id say if anything maybe sleet and ice would be the most stressful but you learn to drive like dam mom mom and pop pop in it anyway. You know everything aint going to get delivered so really in actuality theres no need to stress really too much with that either. I guess it all depends on your mental make up really. If your a super serious person 24-7 who stresses about stupid shiznitt then you are a stresser. Im an azzclown who doesn't take anything too serious anyway so I don't really stress at all. Its all good baby baby lol. And therapy sessions when you get home from work always help with your mental ZEN WORD lol.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Stress is when you're at a stop and a child/children come running out looking for a package thier mom/dad said was coming only to scour the truck and not find it, only to tell them someone may or may not be by to deliver it today.

What's even worse is when you get to your first pickup and see it laying there, only to find out it's been there for 6hrs and the rookie driver failed to scan it in as a misload to take it out of your board.

Then you run back to the aforementioned house, only to look like the biggest idiot in the world as you pop open the back door and all they see it their box surrounded by empty chrome shelves.

nystripe96

I never check the diad once I finish my route. They can tell if you looked at the message so I just leave it be until I'm back in the building.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Marne Vet

hey I wanted to know whats the number one stress about being a driver? is it the traffic?
if you guys had to make your deliveries at night with very little traffic would that reduce the stress from the job greatly?

by having less traffic does it give you guys more time to make your deliveries and not have to constantly rush through work.

Traffic is the least of my worries. I actually enjoy traffic because I'm getting paid to go as slow as possible on the companies dime. I don't go any faster for my NDA's if there's traffic. I get there when I get there, and as long as I run my airs first without delivering ground, there's nothing they can say about having late airs. Traffic really isn't a stress factor for me. My top 5 things I would list that cause stress at work follows:
  1. Over dispatched.
  2. Splits caused by cutting trips. Adds to #1.
  3. Pickups that are hit or miss and have the potential to blow-out my truck.
  4. The are I work is crap.
  5. The customers in the area I work are crap.
Honorable mention would have to go to Management and their "numbers".

Rainman

Its all good.
When you are finished with work and driving back to building and see that green light do you ignore it until its too late?
It is against company policy to pick up the diad while driving-distracted driving. And I won't pull over to check it either.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

UPSGUY72

When you are finished with work and driving back to building and see that green light do you ignore it until its too late?

I usually ignore it till I'm back a the building. We are instructed not to pick the DIAD up when driving and wait till the next time we stop so that would be when I'm getting gas as the building Then they can send someone else to do that OCA or go help the other driver....

UPSGUY72

hey I wanted to know whats the number one stress about being a driver? is it the traffic?
if you guys had to make your deliveries at night with very little traffic would that reduce the stress from the job greatly?

by having less traffic does it give you guys more time to make your deliveries and not have to constantly rush through work.

As with everything it's only as stressful as you make for yourself.