Are you ready for 30% more work? The perfect storm?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Dracula

It used to be, in feeders, the 11 hr drive time was your only enemy. Unfortunately, on a real long day, now we have to worry about taking a second meal. I found this out recently, when during a 15 hour day, I realized I wouldn't get back before my second meal period was due. Nothing makes a long day longer, than having to take a second, unpaid, meal at the end of your day.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It used to be, in feeders, the 11 hr drive time was your only enemy. Unfortunately, on a real long day, now we have to worry about taking a second meal. I found this out recently, when during a 15 hour day, I realized I wouldn't get back before my second meal period was due. Nothing makes a long day longer, than having to take a second, unpaid, meal at the end of your day.

I think that would be awesome! It would make them so mad. Be worth every minute.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not in my building according to upper management helpers are being used everyday even if it means we are dispatched with a 8.1 hr day.

Hilarious!

​We get "helper sheets" at peak that tell you how long to keep the helper based on the stop count. Of course these numbers are made using Clarkville routes, with no resemblance to common sense what so ever! We ignore them as a rule. Based on the 8.1 hour day, our sheets would dictate that we keep the helper for 5 to 10 minutes. It would take more time just breaking back and forth to pick up/ drop off helper!

Dracula

I think that would be awesome! It would make them so mad. Be worth every minute.

No, not awesome. You don't get paid for the meal period. And they really don't care. By that point in the day, all you want to do is go home.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
2012 21 business days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
2013 17 business days between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
That means that there was 23% more time last year between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

UPS predicts peak volume to be up 8% this year.

23% less time to do 8% more work is an increase of over 30%.

Ups is hiring the same amount of seasonal hires as it did in 2011 and 2012.

Here is the plan:
"UPS executives said that this year's late Thanksgiving holiday, Nov. 28, will be a challenge. Cramming holiday shipments into fewer days could make the network run more efficiently"
Could make the network run more efficiently??? And if not, then what?? Oh, thanks for "cramming". Will make my checks look all that much better!!

Throw in a major storm and we are all friend'd.

All the info listed above can be found here:
UPS more than doubles 3Q profit - Yahoo Finance

Your logic is completely flawed.

(1) Your math assumes there's one less week this calendar year vs. last's, which (obviously) is completely false. As the calendar is merely pushing Thanksgiving back one week, you need to be determining the excess number of packages being deferred by that week into the timeframe between Thanksgiving & Christmas. And as most retailers are planning strong pre-Thanksgiving sales push than year's past, that number will be difficult to determine; but alas, it'll fall much closer to 8% than "over" 30%.

(2) Volume has risen this year, swallowing a portion of that 8%; companywide, most centers are utilizing more drivers on the road this year than last year, already alleviating some of the pain. (Where I'm at, we have the most drivers on the road since 2005.)

(3) UPS is preparing for the increase volume push by hiring additional (seasonal) drivers. In my facility, they've asked Preloaders who are interested in driving post-Preload for 3-5 hours to sign a separate seasonal list.

(4) Nationally, UPS has stored (not scrapped) many vehicles retired earlier this year as well as reserved as many rentals necessary/as it could. In my facility, we've had rentals parked since late September in preparation for Peak season; additionally, beginning next week mechanics are expected to ensure stored vehicles are road worthy.

(5) Like many facilities, mine lacks the space to add all these additional vehicles. Thus, we've seen mock-ups of 48'/53' trailers being loaded on the PD's in which packages are dumped by shelf area into large bins that will be removed via forklift. After the first wave of package cars has cleared the building, they'll use 22.3 employees to load the shortened second wave.

(6) A similar shortened peak season last happened in 2008 (but with one additional day, however). The Friday before Christmas set a record for number of pieces being processed through our Preload. Simultaneously, we set a record for heaviest snow of the 2000s. Early in the morning it became clear that attempting to deliver these packages would be fruitless, so UPS asked the drivers to deliver as many businesses as possible (under the assumption major roads would be cleared) and then return to the building. We then ran a full sort on Sunday, and UPS provided a beautiful buffet spread for all of us. By the end of the day, we were completely caught up sans the areas that are never plowed (those consumers were asked to retrieve their packages at the building).

- - -

Seriously, the point of an internet forum is the share knowledge. Some of us need to relent on our polarization, realize that we're sometimes wrong / there's competing opinions, and cease from posting if we can't accept that.

UPSGUY72

Hilarious!

​We get "helper sheets" at peak that tell you how long to keep the helper based on the stop count. Of course these numbers are made using Clarkville routes, with no resemblance to common sense what so ever! We ignore them as a rule. Based on the 8.1 hour day, our sheets would dictate that we keep the helper for 5 to 10 minutes. It would take more time just breaking back and forth to pick up/ drop off helper!

I don't pay attention to the numbers on those sheets I pick up my helper at the pick up time and use them till I'm done then I drop them off either at there house or car. Then I go take my lunch. I prefer to deliver most if not all my package when it's light out as production takes a big nose dive once it gets dark out.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Your logic is completely flawed.

(1) Your math assumes there's one less week this calendar year vs. last's, which (obviously) is completely false. As the calendar is merely pushing Thanksgiving back one week, you need to be determining the excess number of packages being deferred by that week into the timeframe between Thanksgiving & Christmas. And as most retailers are planning strong pre-Thanksgiving sales push than year's past, that number will be difficult to determine; but alas, it'll fall much closer to 8% than "over" 30%.

(2) Volume has risen this year, swallowing a portion of that 8%; companywide, most centers are utilizing more drivers on the road this year than last year, already alleviating some of the pain. (Where I'm at, we have the most drivers on the road since 2005.)

(3) UPS is preparing for the increase volume push by hiring additional (seasonal) drivers. In my facility, they've asked Preloaders who are interested in driving post-Preload for 3-5 hours to sign a separate seasonal list.

(4) Nationally, UPS has stored (not scrapped) many vehicles retired earlier this year as well as reserved as many rentals necessary/as it could. In my facility, we've had rentals parked since late September in preparation for Peak season; additionally, beginning next week mechanics are expected to ensure stored vehicles are road worthy.

(5) Like many facilities, mine lacks the space to add all these additional vehicles. Thus, we've seen mock-ups of 48'/53' trailers being loaded on the PD's in which packages are dumped by shelf area into large bins that will be removed via forklift. After the first wave of package cars has cleared the building, they'll use 22.3 employees to load the shortened second wave.

(6) A similar shortened peak season last happened in 2008 (but with one additional day, however). The Friday before Christmas set a record for number of pieces being processed through our Preload. Simultaneously, we set a record for heaviest snow of the 2000s. Early in the morning it became clear that attempting to deliver these packages would be fruitless, so UPS asked the drivers to deliver as many businesses as possible (under the assumption major roads would be cleared) and then return to the building. We then ran a full sort on Sunday, and UPS provided a beautiful buffet spread for all of us. By the end of the day, we were completely caught up sans the areas that are never plowed (those consumers were asked to retrieve their packages at the building).

- - -

Seriously, the point of an internet forum is the share knowledge. Some of us need to relent on our polarization, realize that we're sometimes wrong / there's competing opinions, and cease from posting if we can't accept that.
You made my eyes bleed...but welcome back Bagels!

kingOFchester

ALL FACTS:

1) UPS has already said 1 ice storm this peak would be hard to make up do to the shorter period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2) There are fewer days between thanksgiving and Christmas.

3) UPS executives have stated that there plan is to cram more work on us and that this peak raises the stakes if there in a disruption.

4) UPS is not hiring more seasonal hires then they did last year.

5) UPS predicts that Holiday shipments will be up 8%

6) UPS predicts peak day to be December 16th.

Do I believe that volume will be up 30%? I believe that there is a probability that volume could reach up to 30% more on or around peak day compared to last year. Will it be 30% all peak? probably not.

Fact is tho, UPS is going to expect us to do more with less time and less help. Scott Davis said it himself that they are going to cram the work in. So take that for what it is......

my frustration on this thread is that UpDick using his abrasive personality to challenge good math. I am all for challenging the theory of more work on us at UPS, but not the actual math. He clearly stated my math was wrong, and even went to the length of comparing my math to a sale. My math might of have used assumed numbers, but that wasn't what he was challenging. He challenged me on my math, and clearly doesn't have the nut sack to admit that his analogy of a sale does nothing to strengthen his argument.

Any case, I stand by my belief that this will be the most challenging peak to date. We will be on the edge of a system wide failure. I know that my center CAN NOT take anymore volume that what we have dealt with in the past. Add less days between thanksgiving and christmas we are going to struggle this peak.

Only time will tell.

friend-Upstate.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
ALL FACTS:

<snip>

Do I believe that volume will be up 30%? I believe that there is a probability that volume could reach up to 30% more on or around peak day compared to last year. Will it be 30% all peak? probably not.

Upon further research, the 8% increase in volume UPS is forecasting between Thanksgiving & Christmas has been attributed toward the shortened holiday; had the Holiday season remained four weeks, volume would be nearly stagnant. In other words, the total volume in November & December will be up a percent or two.

I outlined a fair assessment of the situation in my previous posting. You have to remember that while the company isn't increasing its Holiday hiring, there's a significant number of more people on the payroll this year vs. last's, far outpacing that of the volume. For example, historically in my region, in April-May, UPS would hire seasonally for the summer rush; come October, they'd do so again for the Holiday rush. UPS finally realized that it was losing good employees and spending millions of dollars needlessly... so for the first time in more than 10 years, every single person hired during the spring/summer was a permanent hire - with higher standards to meet during their evaluation period. They've kept them working by offered scheduled time off to senior employees, as well as completing compliance training in Sep./Oct. rather than Jan. Bottom line is that our Preload will employee the same number of workers in 2013 as 2012, just less of them tagged as temporary, seasonal.

Rainman

Its all good.
We are already working close to Christmas hours in my center most days. I really don't care how much volume they plan on giving me. I will do what I can do and not sweat the rest of it. We are on plan to run more than double the number of temp drivers that we had last year, 5 times what we had the year before. Most of these havent been put on the road yet, while only 2 or 3 are working more than a day or two each week. Most of these temps will be bodies filling a position, rather than a lot of real help. We are hiring 30 temp drivers off the street this year for my building (5 centers), having exhausted all available inside help. Sounds like a screwed up peak. The plan will probably be to pull every available body from every inside management function during the last week or so, as they have done in the past when we have had snow or ice storms. I'll put in my 55 or 60 hours each week and go home and let them worry about the rest. Its a great time not to be in management. This will be my 35th peak season with the company. Experience has taught me not to sweat the the things that I have no control over. I'll drive my little brown truck down my little brown road and deliver my little brown packages. And I'll laugh my way all the way to the bank.

Dracula

ALL FACTS:

1) UPS has already said 1 ice storm this peak would be hard to make up do to the shorter period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

3) UPS executives have stated that there plan is to cram more work on us and that this peak raises the stakes if there in a disruption.

Fact is tho, UPS is going to expect us to do more with less time and less help. Scott Davis said it himself that they are going to cram the work in. So take that for what it is......

my frustration on this thread is that UpDick using his abrasive personality to challenge good math. I am all for challenging the theory of more work on us at UPS, but not the actual math. He clearly stated my math was wrong, and even went to the length of comparing my math to a sale. My math might of have used assumed numbers, but that wasn't what he was challenging. He challenged me on my math, and clearly doesn't have the nut sack to admit that his analogy of a sale does nothing to strengthen his argument.

Any case, I stand by my belief that this will be the most challenging peak to date. We will be on the edge of a system wide failure. I know that my center CAN NOT take anymore volume that what we have dealt with in the past. Add less days between thanksgiving and christmas we are going to struggle this peak.

Only time will tell.

friend-Upstate.

Not to hammer on my brothers and sisters in the Buster Browns, but in feeders, the only difference between peak and the month of February is the date we right down.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
ALL FACTS:

Only time will tell.

friend-Upstate.

Depending on your Center, your route, your mgmnt etc. it could be the worst peak or the best. I snapped up a new route last spring so this will be my first peak on this route. The worst thing you can do is to start thinking about how bad it could be. It is what it is. So what.

Dracula

Depending on your Center, your route, your mgmnt etc. it could be the worst peak or the best. I snapped up a new route last spring so this will be my first peak on this route. The worst thing you can do is to start thinking about how bad it could be. It is what it is. So what.

It is truly amazing how much different feeders is from package car. There really is no peak in feeders.

kingOFchester

Upon further research, the 8% increase in volume UPS is forecasting between Thanksgiving & Christmas has been attributed toward the shortened holiday; had the Holiday season remained four weeks, volume would be nearly stagnant. In other words, the total volume in November & December will be up a percent or two.

I outlined a fair assessment of the situation in my previous posting. You have to remember that while the company isn't increasing its Holiday hiring, there's a significant number of more people on the payroll this year vs. last's, far outpacing that of the volume. For example, historically in my region, in April-May, UPS would hire seasonally for the summer rush; come October, they'd do so again for the Holiday rush. UPS finally realized that it was losing good employees and spending millions of dollars needlessly... so for the first time in more than 10 years, every single person hired during the spring/summer was a permanent hire - with higher standards to meet during their evaluation period. They've kept them working by offered scheduled time off to senior employees, as well as completing compliance training in Sep./Oct. rather than Jan. Bottom line is that our Preload will employee the same number of workers in 2013 as 2012, just less of them tagged as temporary, seasonal.

Fair enough. Maybe my mistake is reading to much into the comment where UPS executives made the comment about cramming more work. You are correct about the 8% already factoring in the shortened period. I probably should of taken the time to read the entire earnings call. So, yea, my math was using skewed numbers.

That said, we already have drivers going out with more stops then ever. Last week we had a driver that went out with the same number of stops he did on his peak day. I still feel as though this will be a very tough peak.

Something I picked up from the call:

"we have been able to redirect approximately 20% of our SurePost volume back into the U.S. Domestic delivery network by improving our delivery densities"

Good to hear we are getting some surepost volume back, I know surepost was a big issue here on BC. This comment was a response to a question about how has Orion improved miles.

CharleyHustle

"we have been able to redirect approximately 20% of our SurePost volume back into the U.S. Domestic delivery network by improving our delivery densities"

Really? I've noticed three times in the last week that in the "loose" pkgs that I deliver to a post office two surepost going to the same house or address. Who knows how many are in the bags? I will admit that I'm not sure how all this works.