Are you ready for 30% more work? The perfect storm?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Really? I've noticed three times in the last week that in the "loose" pkgs that I deliver to a post office two surepost going to the same house or address. Who knows how many are in the bags? I will admit that I'm not sure how all this works.

3 or more SurePost going to the same address are supposed to be diverted back to us for delivery. SurePost going to addresses adjacent to ground deliveries already in EDD are also supposed to be diverted back to us for delivery. The system is not perfect---I have delivered Surepost only to see SurePost which had been delivered by the Post Office---but we are getting back more of "our" work.

bbsam

Staff member
Just as a friendly jab Upstate, I have been looking forward to this moment. "Why senior members should be pro union" post#67.

upschuck

3 or more SurePost going to the same address are supposed to be diverted back to us for delivery. SurePost going to addresses adjacent to ground deliveries already in EDD are also supposed to be diverted back to us for delivery. The system is not perfect---I have delivered Surepost only to see SurePost which had been delivered by the Post Office---but we are getting back more of "our" work.

Probably has something to do with when those surepost packages are scanned at center and what each routes forecasted deliveries are.

QKRSTKR

Ok. You can work more than 14 hrs a day. You absolutely cannot drive after 14 hrs. The 14 hr. rule is also punch to punch. You do not subtract your lunch out of that. So it would be 13 1/2 hrs worked, you can no longer drive. Under K O C thinking, you can only work 60 hrs a week. So 12 hr days are logical. UPS seem to want know one to work more than 12 so they don't have to worry at the end of the week.

cachsux and Dracula, keep the music coming. Again, how screwed am I in feeders this year during peak? I'm trying to let it sink in. Guys I talk to say, I pull a set there, I pull a set back, not a whole lot else I can do. One change I have seen in my run is I have a big box coming back a lot more now. Oh darn!

QKRSTKR

One thing guys in feeders have said is to be careful in the yard. They get crazy. Not designed for 53 footers to be parked everywhere and it gets tight.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
3 or more SurePost going to the same address are. supposed to be diverted back to us for delivery. SurePost going to addresses adjacent to ground deliveries already in EDD are also supposed to be diverted back to us for delivery. The system is not perfect---I have delivered Surepost only to see SurePost which had been delivered by the Post Office---but we are getting back more of "our" work.

Upstate-I think we out in the boonies see more diverted surepost.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

​2 to the same address where I am.

brownIEman

ALL FACTS:

1) UPS has already said 1 ice storm this peak would be hard to make up do to the shorter period between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

2) There are fewer days between thanksgiving and Christmas.

3) UPS executives have stated that there plan is to cram more work on us and that this peak raises the stakes if there in a disruption.

4) UPS is not hiring more seasonal hires then they did last year.

5) UPS predicts that Holiday shipments will be up 8%

6) UPS predicts peak day to be December 16th.

Do I believe that volume will be up 30%? I believe that there is a probability that volume could reach up to 30% more on or around peak day compared to last year. Will it be 30% all peak? probably not.

Fact is tho, UPS is going to expect us to do more with less time and less help. Scott Davis said it himself that they are going to cram the work in. So take that for what it is......

my frustration on this thread is that UpDick using his abrasive personality to challenge good math. I am all for challenging the theory of more work on us at UPS, but not the actual math. He clearly stated my math was wrong, and even went to the length of comparing my math to a sale. My math might of have used assumed numbers, but that wasn't what he was challenging. He challenged me on my math, and clearly doesn't have the nut sack to admit that his analogy of a sale does nothing to strengthen his argument.

Any case, I stand by my belief that this will be the most challenging peak to date. We will be on the edge of a system wide failure. I know that my center CAN NOT take anymore volume that what we have dealt with in the past. Add less days between thanksgiving and christmas we are going to struggle this peak.

Only time will tell.

friend-Upstate.

KOC,
you have one potential piece to this puzzle that you are overlooking. Not all seasonal hires are equal.
In several centers that I have been involved with, while the overall hiring of seasonal employees may
remain the same, there are plans in the works to bring in twice as many seasonal drivers as last year.
That means more slower business stops off of more routes, leaving veteran drivers with more dense
high-production resi stops. Even if the number of helpers those drivers get dips to keep the total hire
the same, more stops can be delivered, imho.

3 done 3 to go

KOC,
you have one potential piece to this puzzle that you are overlooking. Not all seasonal hires are equal.
In several centers that I have been involved with, while the overall hiring of seasonal employees may
remain the same, there are plans in the works to bring in twice as many seasonal drivers as last year.
That means more slower business stops off of more routes, leaving veteran drivers with more dense
high-production resi stops. Even if the number of helpers those drivers get dips to keep the total hire
the same, more stops can be delivered, imho.

Let me guess. A person with no delivery experience thought of this? Brilliant!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Let me guess. A person with no delivery experience thought of this? Brilliant!

Call me stupid but this makes a lot of sense.

For example, my first stop is Walmart, which can take anywhere from 10-25 minutes. I then deliver to Gamestop and a MBE store. Take that work off of me and I can do 40-60 (or more) residential stops (with a helper) in the time it would have taken me to deliver those 3 stops.

Anyone can deliver a bulk stop. It takes someone with experience and route knowledge to burn up the residentials.

pretender

For example, my first stop is Walmart, which can take anywhere from 10-25 minutes. I then deliver to Gamestop and a MBE store. Take that work off of me and I can do 40-60 (or more) residential stops (with a helper) in the time it would have taken me to deliver those 3 stops.

Anyone can deliver a bulk stop. It takes someone with experience and route knowledge to burn up the residentials.

Not to mention the reduced time needed for training.

MaceFremonti

I was fortunate enough to be able to bid on a 4x10 route my first year here in Feeders. Unfortunately our Feeder department has just told us that all scheduled days off are cancelled starting next week until further notice....sigh

Still beats package though!!!!

kingOFchester

Where I am, the bulky 80-100 stop trips are bid by the senior drivers. They have no interest in "burning up the residentials."

A lot of them have already worn threw a set of knees and are unable, or better yet, unwilling to "burn up the residentials". They have earned the right to bid these, what we call "old man routes". They have paid their dues with their bodies maneuvering the old beasts like the 800's.

Take off a handful of dock stops, and throw on 40-60 more stops and it will not be pretty for anyone involved. With or without a helper.

satellitedriver

Really?
I mean really.
I have read 8 pages of bitchin' of how hard one is going to have to work this peak.
Maybe, it is because I am an old fart that had to have a signature on paper for every pkg delivered,
in the rain.
:happy-very:
Maybe, it is because I have worked peak hours every week for the last 4yrs.
I am sick and tired of wimps bitchin' that they have to work long hours.

My opinion;

One should be willing to earn the money and benefits, through their labor, that UPS is willing to pay.

Inthegame

My opinion;

One should be willing to earn the money and benefits, through their labor, that UPS is willing to pay.

My opinion; "One should be willing to earn the money and benefits, through their labor, that the IBT has negotiated with funding from DUES paying members, that contractually obligates UPS."

3 done 3 to go

Really?
I mean really.
I have read 8 pages of bitchin' of how hard one is going to have to work this peak.
Maybe, it is because I am an old fart that had to have a signature on paper for every pkg delivered,
in the rain.
:happy-very:
Maybe, it is because I have worked peak hours every week for the last 4yrs.
I am sick and tired of wimps bitchin' that they have to work long hours.

My opinion;

Hell I'd be happy to work 60 hr weeks. Never let us get above 46.