chris9834

Just to update you guys did both combination and special requirements 100 on combination and missed 1 on special requirements I was really sweating the test but all went well it's a trip looking at my paper permit and seeing the class A with a must be with cdl driver when driving restriction of course lol. Thanks for yalls insight. Start class this Monday coming up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Just to update you guys did both combination and special requirements 100 on combination and missed 1 on special requirements I was really sweating the test but all went well it's a trip looking at my paper permit and seeing the class A with a must be with cdl driver when driving restriction of course lol. Thanks for yalls insight. Start class this Monday coming up.

Good luck.

It should be a couple days in the building in class and you should be in the lot by Wednesday getting used to double clutching a tractor.

Piece of cake with the tractors we have now.

I pulled boats and campers all my life, so pulling a trailer was a piece of cake. I was used to backing also.

That might take some practice. You turn the wheel the opposite way you want the rear of the trailer to go. Some guys struggle with backing. Just take your time.

The weirdest part for me was getting used to how high I was off the ground in the tractor.

Quick funny story. In feeders about 5 years and had to back a Big Bob (26 ft straight truck) onto the dock. While backing, I turned the wheel the wrong way, my mindset was a trailer, and damn near hit the trailer on the other side.

chris9834

Good luck.

It should be a couple days in the building in class and you should be in the lot by Wednesday getting used to double clutching a tractor.

Piece of cake with the tractors we have now.

I pulled boats and campers all my life, so pulling a trailer was a piece of cake. I was used to backing also.

That might take some practice. You turn the wheel the opposite way you want the rear of the trailer to go. Some guys struggle with backing. Just take your time.

The weirdest part for me was getting used to how high I was off the ground in the tractor.

Quick funny story. In feeders about 5 years and had to back a Big Bob (26 ft straight truck) onto the dock. While backing, I turned the wheel the wrong way, my mindset was a trailer, and damn near hit the trailer on the other side.
LOL yea I can see that happening...i have backed some trailers up like a car hauler a couple times I was ok I just took my time went slow i kept having to think ok I want the trailer to go this way what way do I need to turn lol, but I'm sure it becomes 2nd nature. My only concern I'm in a big city bldg and I'm going to be irritable trying to back the trailers up in a door or pad at the bldg...those yard dogs more so then the other feeder drivers blaze thru the yard like crazy they all tell me you will get used to it after awhile, I drive thru the yard at pm with a bulk van to park it to get unloaded at night. I just hope they are patient with me while I get the hang of it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's a good feeling when you aren't working a storm. Then you just hope that the ones at do are ok.
What I meant was I'm calling out if they don't shut down, and so is everyone else. They won't even be able to keep the yards clear. You'll probably get a couple drivers who go in but they're just greedy, they know they aint going anywhere they just want their 8 hour guarantee.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I saw a short clip of a UPS pup being flipped back on it's wheels on TWC earlier.

Anybody know where that happened?

Non sequitur

Trying to decide whether or not I should take the day off from work to take the test or just go on the DMV's late night after I pull my route. That would give me about an hour and half to finish the DMV written test

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Trying to decide whether or not I should take the day off from work to take the test or just go on the DMV's late night after I pull my route. That would give me about an hour and half to finish the DMV written test
If your DMV is anything like mine you'll be waiting in line for 30 minutes before you get started. I'd take the day off just so you don't have the added pressure of the clock.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
If your DMV is anything like mine you'll be waiting in line for 30 minutes before you get started. I'd take the day off just so you don't have the added pressure of the clock.
And check in advance to make sure they do the CDL tests there. In my state it's like only 1 out of 5 locations handle CDL testing.

UPS4Life

Get the paper work first and find out what all you need I'm pretty sure you need a DOT physical just to get the permit now. Also not sure how your dmv is but are they by chance open Saturday's?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Sucks no Saturdays at my dmv. I have my dot medical card already. I've been in packages over 2 decades.
Your medical card has to be specifically marked CDL. Make sure yours is. (I don't think you need it for the permits, but it is definitely a must have item to get the actual license).

Also, somewhere along the line, you will need to declare "Interstate, non-exception". (Hopefully I got that right, and others can confirm or correct me