barnyard

KTM rider
So if I was to go into feeders all I would need to do is go to ups class for feeders?

Not sure if you would still have to do the non productive week. You would for sure have to do the productive week of training to qualify. The productive week is doing a regular job for a week, with a supe riding along.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not sure if you would still have to do the non productive week. You would for sure have to do the productive week of training to qualify. The productive week is doing a regular job for a week, with a supe riding along.
You still have to do both, we had a guy in the same situation. Non production week is where you have to take all the written tests, memorize feeder safety stuff, etc. Already having a Class A won't get you out of that.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I already have a class A cdl with doubles triples tankers and hazmat.
So if I was to go into feeders all I would need to do is go to ups class for feeders?

Yes.

They will still put you through both weeks.

They just won't "prep" you for the CDL test since you already have one.

Week 1 will the "UPS way" paperwork, hooking trailers, pre-trip, post-trip, etc.

Week 2 will be production.

Non sequitur

Step one down, passed DMV written test. Will start ups training in a few weeks. Anyone using books on tape for your night runs? Is it practical/possible?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Step one down, passed DMV written test. Will start ups training in a few weeks. Anyone using books on tape for your night runs? Is it practical/possible?
You can listen to whatever you want really. Satellite radio, podcasts, books on tape, etc. Some guys spend all night talking on the radio/ cellphone. Up to you.

barnyard

KTM rider
Anyone using books on tape for your night runs? Is it practical/possible?

My wife and I listen to books on tape while traveling. The problem is that some of the readers have very hypnotic voices. Can make staying awake even harder.

I find that podcasts keep me very alert and engaged. I subscribe to 10 or 15. If I worked feeders more often, I would subscribe to 20 or so. That would be enough to get me through a week of feeders without repeating.

QKRSTKR

I have an app on my phone called overdrive. It allows you to download books and audio books from your library. After 19days you return them.

Barnyard is right.sometimes the readers voice can make you more drowsy. I also like cbs sports radio.mi use the app. Listen to Dave Ramsey on iheart

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Ivis message today,,,,,,
Don't pull down on trolly valve to ck brake light on door ,,, fire hazard ,, pull away from door to check !!!
Are you FN kidding me ?!!!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ivis message today,,,,,,
Don't pull down on trolly valve to ck brake light on door ,,, fire hazard ,, pull away from door to check !!!
Are you FN kidding me ?!!!

Not so much a problem with the LED lights, but anyone who has been in feeders long enough has seen the old style round light on each side of the trailer, where the LED lights are at now, have a bubble formed in the lens cover.

It happens when the lights are pressed against the dock pad too long and are on. No way to dissipate the heat from the bulb. The lens cover actually gets hot enough to melt.

Should not be a problem for a few minutes, but UPS does not want to take any chances. Issue a blanket policy to all.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Not so much a problem with the LED lights, but anyone who has been in feeders long enough has seen the old style round light on each side of the trailer, where the LED lights are at now, have a bubble formed in the lens cover.

It happens when the lights are pressed against the dock pad too long and are on. No way to dissipate the heat from the bulb. The lens cover actually gets hot enough to melt.

Should not be a problem for a few minutes, but UPS does not want to take any chances. Issue a blanket policy to all.
Great point ,, never thought of that ,, seen those lens covers a lot , never thought they would catch a bumpers dock guard on fire tho ,, but you ever know !!

P

pickup

Great point ,, never thought of that ,, seen those lens covers a lot , never thought they would catch a bumpers dock guard on fire tho ,, but you ever know !!

Over a year ago they had the same trolley valve/dock/brake light prohibition posted at a hub in Pennsylvania with pictures of an actual incident . It was a pretty good warning because with the picture, you knew exactly what they were talking about.

The only thing about the posted prohibition that was "typical UPS" was that they used some bs management made label to describe the incident like " a pyro-generative event" or something equally ridiculous as that. The exact term escapes me. If I remember it later, I'll post it

P

pickup

They had a pcm posted earlier this week. Said something like thermal event.

Yeah, that was what they called it : a thermal event. The written document I saw could have said the circumstances caused a fire but instead said caused a thermal event.

If the picture weren't included, I wouldn't have figured out what they were talking about.

UPS4Life

Yeah looks like my current medical card doesn't have the cdl check off
Saw the guy who told me about the check mark on cdl the other day he said the next day the dr called him back saying they messed it up and have him a new card without cdl checked so I guess you're good.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Having a hard time with my down shifting any advice would be appreciated.
That is a common problem. One that I had a hard time with initially as well. Just downshift every chance you get, and keep your eye on your RPM's. It is just like backing, it will come to you eventually. You will be a champ in no time. P.S. I was given my handle (capn crunch) by an on road sup because I crunched my gears when I was learning to downshift, and the name stuck. lol.