FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I worked in a small center 30 drivers max. The first feeder driver that got there in the morning just hung out and switched trailers as needed. Mostly he slept in the yard in his tractor or hittin on the skanky pre loaders
We've tried to get one to stay, but feeders won't let us because they get hit for the time and not us.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That's what I'm saying. I've seen guys hang around the building for 2 hours on the local sort waiting. But preload, nope.
It sounds like they don't want to help a brother out...they want to do their own thing and the heck with everybody else I've learned that pretty fast with feeder

Inthegame

We tried the grease, no go.
So who's doing yard certifications that doesn't know how to check for a proper couple? Feeders should be making these moves but once again UPS wants to be cheap and compromise safety. Shifting trailers should be on the feeder schedule.

Yard horses rust up sitting outside with little use.
Anyway, grease goes on the fifth wheel. The latching mechanism needs to be lubricated under the fifth wheel. Get a mechanic to raise the rear of the fifth wheel and spray it good while someone works the latch. When coupling, you can also push the release handle in after coupling which sometimes locks the pin.

Buy the next Feeder driver a coffee and ask him/her how to check for a proper couple before someone gets hurt.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Question about hooking up.

In the AM all of our drivers drop and turn right around, so the Preload Sup has to put the loads on the doors. One issue we've been having is getting our shifter tractor to properly lock around the pin when he hooks up. He practically has to ram the bastard in there, and even then, sometimes it doesn't work. When we use the Feeder driver's tractor it locks right in first time every time.

Could this be a tractor issue? Or is there something I can direct the sup to do so we have a good lock. I'm just nervous the guy is going to be in a rush one time and not tug test it. I also would like him to avoid using the feeder driver's vehicle since if that goes down, we're screwed getting loads out.
it sounds like the fifth wheel on the shifter needs to be adjusted or serviced. this usually happens when too much dirt gets in there and needs to be cleaned out , serviced, and greased. an experienced driver would bring this issue up to the mechanic unless he's clueless or lazy or both.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If your using an actual shifter , raise the 5 th wheel , Or tell the feeder drivers coming in nit to drop gear all the way to the ground leaving it 3 to 5 inches up

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Sometimes hub supervisors raise the trailers up a little bit to encourage more and faster flow=better numbers for him. Possibly the supervisor who is doing the shifting isn't aware, since he probably wasn't certified on the proper procedures. Angle shouldn't matter. You can hook up at a 90 degree angle to the trailer if need be. Those 5th wheels DO need maintenance from time to time, like beech said. They do wear out over time, and they do build up grease inside the jaws as well as the tongue depressor can come loose(not sure what it's called) and interfere with a clean couple. Thing is, most mechanics would rather sandpaper a wildcat's :censored2: in a phone booth than work on a 5th wheel.

Covemastah

Some of the new tractors have air bag suspension,, if they don't dump the air. The trailer will be a bit high if you go pick it up with a tractor with springs.
Anyhow,, there should be a qualified feeder driver to move this equipment ,, your not qualified and something happens God forbid ,,,, your
A. SS. Will be on the line!!!

Covemastah

Always ,, always ,, always Put the chain on the trailer door,, if it don't reach ,,, go to the shop !! Do not under any circumstances trust a locked sealed door !!!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Some of the new tractors have air bag suspension,, if they don't dump the air. The trailer will be a bit high if you go pick it up with a tractor with springs.
Anyhow,, there should be a qualified feeder driver to move this equipment ,, your not qualified and something happens God forbid ,,,, your
A. SS. Will be on the line!!!

Ehh, this always seems to happen to drivers who come back from package car with the go-go-go attitude. It's too much trouble for them to do the job properly. You would think they would come back to feeders, with the much less rushed pace of the job and take the time to do things ABC...but where I'm at, you would be wrong. These are the same guys who drive the wheels off the tractor so they can get done in 8 hours, while they are setting up during their meal.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
So what is the process to uncouple with air bags?

I was trained on International and Sterling tractors and have never been told to dump the air. I dumped the bags when a nose was too low so I didn't have to crank up the front.

I always blamed shifters for those trailers. :)