Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Can I renew my class a permit before exp. without having to re-take the DMV written test all over again? Local sort #439 Stockton,Ca p/t 10yrs

Where I am you can renew it once but the kicker is only two permits in 2 or 3 years. Make sure you ask DMV, if you don't take or pass the test you may have to wait.

Good luck!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I keep an spiral notebook. It works the best. I record everything. Loads to and from, tractor, trailer and dolly numbers, LV and AR times, and if there are any delays, and I do mean anything, it gets written down in my book. I have one of those cards UPS gives us, with the hundredths conversion charts. And everyday, whether I'm running mileage or hourly, I figure my hours, from what I've worked, to what I've got left for the week.

Come Friday, I know, down to the hundredth, what I can work.

The apps sound great, but from my experience, the written word is more at accurate. And as I said, I tried an app once, but I always forgot to clock out in it. Probably because my book always got first priority.

The book becomes a powerful tool when management wants to see you in the office for this or that bullspit. In their little meetings, they always seems to think you won't have answers for their questions about what took you this long or that long, from events from yesterday to 5 days ago. That's where the book is golden. If I know they want to see me, the book rides shotgun, and they start to learn this, because their questions become sighs when I say, "Hold on, let me check my book. What was that date again?"

In my experience, Apps make life easier, but also, lazier. Nothing replaces the written word. A wise old feeder driver once told me to write EVERYTHING down, and it has proved to be very wise advice. It always seems manager's make eye contact with my book before they make it with me. And my book is always ready.

Last edited:

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
For example--I just checked my book from last week--one load I was leaving with didn't have a seal control in it. Also, that same load didn't have a load bar or strap securing the load. So I had to go inside and get a seal control, and inform the dispatch that the hub needed to come outside and secure the load. All of this pushed me past my leave time, making me late leaving, which under normal circumstances, would flag me the following day.

No problem, I wrote it all down. Nothing usually happens, however, because I make a point of pointing out when I go back inside, that I am now going to be late because of the hub's incompetency. But if on-road would've asked me, I would be able to provide honest answers to their obvious questions. And the dispatch office is used to this. And to be fair, if I didn't have any of these problems, most likely, I would be leaving on time.

But somebody else trained the hub, not me.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was told to keep a paper log because the computer in the tractor may fail.

The only thing you need to keep is your Hours of Service. UPS provides the booklet to keep track of your hours. If your IVIS fails, start your paper record from that point and let UPS worry about the other portion.

If pulled over by the DOT, your paper record of your hours of service for the week is good enough. He may ask what time you started and where you started for the day.

I keep a paper log just so I'm brushed up on it in case the ivis fails.

I don't. I keep track of my hours, but if the IVIS fails, I will start paper and let UPS worry about the rest.

Is it true that they're getting rid of the ivis for smartphones?

That is what we are hearing. Supposedly by the end of the year. Have not seen one, just heard from our District Manager that they are coming.

brown67

The only thing you need to keep is your Hours of Service. UPS provides the booklet to keep track of your hours. If your IVIS fails, start your paper record from that point and let UPS worry about the other portion.

If pulled over by the DOT, your paper record of your hours of service for the week is good enough. He may ask what time you started and where you started for the day.

I don't. I keep track of my hours, but if the IVIS fails, I will start paper and let UPS worry about the rest.

That is what we are hearing. Supposedly by the end of the year. Have not seen one, just heard from our District Manager that they are coming.

Who's providing the smart phone? Do they assume we will use our phones?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That's what I was wondering...

UPS is providing it.

It will probably run on Windows Mobile, like the current IVIS, and not have the capabilty for us to download apps, play games, text, place personal calls, etc.

Will most likely be like the DIAD. Grab yours when you start and it will have all the loads in it already just like the current IVIS. When done clock out and place in the charge rack.

I have heard it will eventually have the capabilities of unlocking the doors and starting the tractor, similar to current package cars.

B

BrownCubster

I keep a paper log just so I'm brushed up on it in case the ivis fails. Is it true that they're getting rid of the ivis for smartphones?
I had a DOT officer tell me I had to keep a paper log book just in case. Maybe it was just him. Also , payroll requires a paper logbook page and a paper time card if the ivis fails. Maybe that is just at our hub.

Anything they come up with can fail.

Brown Now

I had a DOT officer tell me I had to keep a paper log book just in case. Maybe it was just him. Also , payroll requires a paper logbook page and a paper time card if the ivis fails. Maybe that is just at our hub.

Anything they come up with can fail.
I believe he is correct. All tractors should have a paper logbook in their pouch. I know as of now we have a couple of logbook pages, but I'm pretty sure that's not good. It should be a logbook.