Asked to Go Home Early

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
when you take off early like that, it creates in the company's mind there is excess work there. I had a job once in feeders that was 11+ hours planned. I was local, and there were plenty of people around to take up slack. I started off asking if they could take that leg off of me on fri/night-sat/morning, so I could get my weekend started. Sure, they said. You see where this is going. They eventually saw where they could give it to somebody else. They cut that leg off my run, costing me 1.5 hours of OT every night. Put a pencil to that. All because I wanted to go home early. I learned my lesson. My .o2.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They are aloud to send you home. You aren't entitled to your 3.5 hours until you make seniority
My center manager "aloud" me to be passed around like a $10 hooker on payday between 2 drivers yesterday. I loaded 5 trucks...and ran off about 230 stops. I may be getting a lil too old for this crap....lol.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
I think it's sad that you can't work 3.5 hours. I hope you don't plan on driving because you wouldn't make it to lunch.
If he's anything like most of the PTers I know, he drove straight from job 1 to come to work at UPS. Get over yourself, you impressive specimen of humanity.

And no, it wasn't a test. They're not trying to see how committed you are. Since when did UPS care about commitment? They care that you showed up that day when you were supposed to. They also care about keeping man-hours low. Honestly, you're doing your supe a favor if you go home, he needs to cut someone and you volunteered to be cut.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If he's anything like most of the PTers I know, he drove straight from job 1 to come to work at UPS.

And no, it wasn't a test. They're not trying to see how committed you are. Since when did UPS care about commitment? They care that you showed up that day when you were supposed to. They also care about keeping man-hours low. Honestly, you're doing your supe a favor if you go home, he needs to cut someone and you volunteered to be cut.

I would agree if the kid had already made it past his 30 days but the OP is still early in his 30 days so to me it does show a poor work ethic on his part.

TheFigurehead

I would agree if the kid had already made it past his 30 days but the OP is still early in his 30 days so to me it does show a poor work ethic on his part.

No, it doesn't.

Look, the sup asking if he wanted to go home was simply step one. The sort was overstaffed for the night, and someone was going home. If everyone the sup asked had said they wanted to stay, the next step would be to force someone who hadn't made seniority to go. If you havent made your 30 days, you have no guarantee. The sup could send him home every day if he wanted. By going voluntarily, he's doing the sup a favor, by not making him force someone to go home who doesn't want to go.

To the op, it's not a test. It will not reflect badly on you. It makes no difference, other than the $15 you'd net for the day after deductions. In fact, in my time at UPS, I've never seen anyone let go during their probationary period for anything other than being physically unable to do the job (i.e. can barely lift a 40lb box), or calling out a bunch of times.

Johnny Paycheck

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Like figurehead said, basically the only way to not make seniority is to be unable to hack it or to just not show up. This isn't Future Leaders of America trying to fill 1 spot with hundreds of applicants. I don't know why people pretend it is. Who cares if he showed a poor work ethic? (He didn't.) if he shows up every day and does what he's supposed to do, he'll get the job. No question.

TheFigurehead

Sorry, I disagree.

So?

Look, in my hub, in my section, there is a nine month difference between my seniority date, and the guy next in line. Twelve other people were hired between he and I, and there was not one of them left working when he started. Four or five just stopped showing up before they even made 30 days. A couple guys made it to 90 days, a couple to six months, and the last one stopped coming a few weeks before this guy was hired.

None of them were forcibly fired.

With the low starting pay, 17.5 hours a week, and no benefits for a year, UPS has problems getting people in the door. They have an even bigger problem keeping them around.

The bar is set incredibly low. In reality... if you can manage to show up with some sort of pants on, can see out of at least one eye, and can get to the facility, you're golden. Show up for 30 days and you've got a job for as long as you can hack it / stand it.

We have a guy who shows up once or twice a week. No one says a word about it. We have a guy who talks on his bluetooth headset the entire night. Again, no one says a word. That's how hard up they are. I'm sure management would love to fire them, but for now, at least they show up and work (sometimes). I don't agree with it, but it is what it is. They have to put up with it as no one else is willing to do the job... at least not for any length of time.

Should folks aspire to have a better work ethic? Certainly. I disagree, however, that what the OP did showed any lack thereof. His sup wasn't asking people to go home because he's a nice guy. Someone had to go home (unless everyone on the sort had their guarantee, which OP clearly did not). He did the sup a favor by not making him force him to go home. It's a win/win.