Asked to Go Home Early

infinitenexus

hey everyone,
i'm new to UPS, pre senority and on my second week without a trainer. i've been asked if i want to leave early a few times and said no, but today i was really fatigued and sore so i said "i guess" and went ahead and left early.
i spoke to someone else who works here and they told me i should never agree to leave early and they are testing me! i hope that's not the case because i really enjoy working here and want to continue with my job.

will agreeing to go home early this one time affect my getting senority???
i couldn't possibly be fired for agreeing to leave early, right? i didn't ask them, they asked me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You won't get fired (for that), but it certainly doesn't reflect well on you that you didn't ask to stay. You're trying to paint yourself in a positive light....show a little eagerness before they beat it out of you in a few months.

They asked you if you wanted to leave early because the sort ran out of work. UPS always likes to run the sort just a little understaffed so everyone is forced to work just a little bit harder. You should be fine, just make sure you come in everyday.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They asked you if you wanted to leave early because the sort ran out of work. UPS always likes to run the sort just a little understaffed so everyone is forced to work just a little bit harder. You should be fine, just make sure you come in everyday.
Can my sort run out of work so I can leave early? That would be fabulous.

UPSGUY72

If they ask you to leave early and you do will have no affect on whether or not you make seniority. They aren't testing you they are asking you to leave to save a few dollars.

If you agree to leave your not guaranteed 3.5 hrs so they only have to pay you the time actually worked.

It's up to you whether you leave early or not it you don't someone else probably will....

If your worried about making your seniority follow these basic rules show up everyday and on time sick or not, do your job the best you can (other that have seniority might be dragging there feet don't follow there lead ), mind your own business don't get involved in other people work politics and don't get in a physical altercation with anyone hence mind your own business...

If they ask you to leave early and you do will have no affect on whether or not you make seniority. They aren't testing you they are asking you to leave to save a few dollars.

If you agree to leave your not guaranteed 3.5 hrs so they only have to pay you the time actually worked.

It's up to you whether you leave early or not it you don't someone else probably will....

If your worried about making your seniority follow these basic rules show up everyday and on time sick or not, do your job the best you can (other that have seniority might be dragging there feet don't follow there lead ), mind your own business don't get involved in other people work politics and don't get in a physical altercation with anyone hence mind your own business...
Best advice I have heard for new hires.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

+1
On our preload, if there is not enough work to go around, mgmt will go down the seniority list to see if anyone wants to take a day off. This is to get the noobs experience. Usually, one of the same four or five lazyarses will take them up on it, but there are rare occasions that a noob will have to go home.

30 to life

hey everyone,
i'm new to UPS, pre senority and on my second week without a trainer. i've been asked if i want to leave early a few times and said no, but today i was really fatigued and sore so i said "i guess" and went ahead and left early.
i spoke to someone else who works here and they told me i should never agree to leave early and they are testing me! i hope that's not the case because i really enjoy working here and want to continue with my job.

will agreeing to go home early this one time affect my getting senority???
i couldn't possibly be fired for agreeing to leave early, right? i didn't ask them, they asked me.
I think it's sad that you can't work 3.5 hours. I hope you don't plan on driving because you wouldn't make it to lunch.

My building's preload cut the double shifters first then the Art 22.3's. Last are the newbies. The preload manager beats them like a borrowed mule. Great for double shifters.