Being pressured to join the dark side

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
So for the past few months the sups and center manager have been asking when I will be putting in my letter of intent for management. It started out like a playful kind of deal but recently its like every other day they are asking. I'm a likable guy and get along with everyone including management, but I dont know where they got the idea that I had any intention of going into management? I have only been a FT driver for a little under a year, but I love my job and love delivering. Unless they offered me $150k+ a year, full benefits, and a tenure position, I wouldnt even consider going into management at this point in my life.

The thing that really :censored2: me off today was the center manager and our shop steward were having a talk in the office and I needed to ask the center manager a question so I politely interrupted. Before I could utter a word the center manager says "Are you here to put in your letter" and our shop steward went along with it and said I would be a great supervisor and I should do it! And he was serious. Isnt this guy supposed to stand up for me and the union and keep union employees!?!?

Just curious if anyone else gets asks this by management often? Maybe there is a certain quality they are looking for or something? I need to get rid of that quality so they quit asking lol

Just keep in mind management has zero protection. The company has been known to "promote" people so they could get rid of them. The stress, salary and benefits are not worth it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The requests for you to put in your letter will wane as time goes on. If some of your hourly employees hear about them wanting you to go into management you might get your balls broke for a while.
True. I was asked three times in my first four months as a part timer to become a p/t sup. They eventually stopped.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
They asked me at my initial hiring interview because of my seven years as a military officer. I said no mainly because of the driving distance and not being sure about whether it would tax my academics and being a father to my infant daughter. Been asked a few times more on various occasions, but they eventually stopped. Meanwhile, Teamcare just paid handsomely for my second daughter's birth quite nicely, so any notion to switch to supervisor at this point is either my greed or my ego that I need to shut up.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Just keep in mind management has zero protection. The company has been known to "promote" people so they could get rid of them. The stress, salary and benefits are not worth it.

Management used to approach employees all the time no matter what their qualifications was to offer them a management position. Usually within 2 years after going over to the dark side, the person was gone. It was management's way of weeding out employees that did not want as well as being able to replace them with a much lower wage do to the tier wage system. I can't remember how many meetings they had with me trying to get me to cross over. I refused and became a steward instead, then they left me alone because I became a real pain in the butt for them.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
No way I could do it. I just can't push things I don't agree with. Like ORION. I personally think it's a joke and devastated everyone whom it touched. No way I could get up there and even pretend I think it's a great thing. And I couldn't act like I cared about metric reports even if I tried.