Brokerage fees due

Mr Shifter

I've been delivering for a while and every time I deliver an international package that has brokerage fees due the customers damn near flip. They usually pay for next day saver and sometimes English is their second language. A few times I had to RTS the package.

If UPS wants to win this international business they need to clean this chit up!

bumped

I have never gotten an answer as to how does a shipper or buyer know if there will be brokerage fees upon delivery.

MethodsMan

Hard to explain brokerage fees to customers when no one knows how they work.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Something to do with UPS covering the fees to get it thru customs and wanting to be re-imbursed?

I don't really get it either. I usually just act like I know what I'm talking about.

brownrod

Hard to explain brokerage fees to customers when no one knows how they work.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I agree. for a residential delivery it's a seriously awkward situation. They don't understand what it is. I have no clue on how or what to explain. And It's kind of shady for the UPS guy to ask for money that he can't explain why he needs . These people need advance notice. And we need training as to what to say and do in these situations.

We might get more successful paid fee's if we had a clue. we should probably have a special infonotice for these people that explains why we are asking for money with a phone number they can call to verify and answer further questions.

I'm not a good resource in this situation.

worldwide

I agree. for a residential delivery it's a seriously awkward situation. They don't understand what it is. I have no clue on how or what to explain. And It's kind of shady for the UPS guy to ask for money that he can't explain why he needs . These people need advance notice. And we need training as to what to say and do in these situations.

We might get more successful paid fee's if we had a clue. we should probably have a special infonotice for these people that explains why we are asking for money with a phone number they can call to verify and answer further questions.

I'm not a good resource in this situation.

UPS, FedEx, DHL and other express carriers are ALL responsible to collect any duties and taxes due on the shipment. In order to expedite the shipment, the carriers pay US Customs first and then stick a COD label on the package to collect from the receiver.

The shipper should communicate this information to the receiver but many do not so that UPS appears to be the bad guy. Receivers can also educate themselves - no secrets on this process - it's all online or a phone call away.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/sh...s/fees.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=brokerage+fee

worldwide

UPS, FedEx, DHL and other express carriers are ALL responsible to collect any duties and taxes due on the shipment. In order to expedite the shipment, the carriers pay US Customs first and then stick a COD label on the package to collect from the receiver.

The shipper should communicate this information to the receiver but many do not so that UPS appears to be the bad guy. Receivers can also educate themselves - no secrets on this process - it's all online or a phone call away.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs/fees.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=brokerage fee

A clarification. Duties and taxes are typically only collected via COD from residential receivers as they do not normally have an account number to bill the charges to. Most businesses that import have an account and any duties and taxes can be charged to their account number.

oldngray

nowhere special
Brokerage fees can be a real pain trying to explain to a customer who barely speaks English. The customer will know the cost of the item plus shipping but can be completely ignorant of brokerage fees. One Christmas I had a German guy get a shipment of rum filled bon bons from Germany and there was a brokerage charge due. He had a fit about how many Deutchmarks it cost and all I could keep telling him was I had no idea how many Deutchmarks anything was. All I knew was he owed UPS X amount of dollars.