BROWN NOSERS GET THE BEST RIDES!?!?!?!?!

10 point

ITG takes a nine count and as I/C takes a victory lap, ITG delivers the haymaker that sends I/C reeling back into the corner with such force that the cornerman Bubble also gets KO'd. And the fans erupt as ITG is clearly the fan favorite...
Fans are fickle.

Inthegame

Are you sure about that?

Looks to me like you would have needed 4 contract books, a calculator and the complete wage and benefit contribution levels for each preceding contract to calculate the percentage of these wage and "benny boost/increases" for each subsequent contract?

You must have "special" versions of these 2, I mean 4 contract books, as the contract books I have only detail the increased wage and benefit contribution levels for each year and does not detail the previous contract's total contribution amounts for any year of these agreements?

With all of this in mind, I can't be sure you even have a dog?

Bubble staggers out of the corner and delivers his own uppercut that puts ITG on rubberleg street...ITG is seeing double...does he have two dogs or only one? Four contracts or two?

You nailed it Bubble, I forgot (too many head shots) but I did glance at the '02-'08 CBA. The '08-'13 book was still in the memory.

I write contribution rates in the new books when we get them from the agents, or when the fund actuaries give that info out at steward seminars. I think I’m one of the few who find those numbers interesting.

Anyway good detective work Inspector (Clouseau) Bubble, but now my left eye is starting to twitch…

Bubble staggers out of the corner and delivers his own uppercut that puts ITG on rubberleg street...ITG is seeing double...does he have two dogs or only one? Four contracts or two?

You nailed it Bubble, I forgot (too many head shots) but I did glance at the '02-'08 CBA. The '08-'13 book was still in the memory.

I write contribution rates in the new books when we get them from the agents, or when the fund actuaries give that info out at steward seminars. I think I’m one of the few who find those numbers interesting.

Anyway good detective work Inspector (Clouseau) Bubble, but now my left eye is starting to twitch…
;)

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Who cares? If it is safe to operate, and your hourly rate doesn't change, why whine about it? Management holds enough crap over out heads. I refuse to let the vehicle I drive--at $34 an hour--spoil my mood. If I'm running mileage and they give me an old 261 Mack, I'm still smiling...and making bank, baby.

Dracula

We take the trucks with us if we want when we change routes as well. What difference does it make to you?
Makes no difference to me. I'm in feeders. But it doesn't make a lot of sense, unless every package car in your center is the same size. If you have a 700 and bid on a route with a 1000 or a 1200, do you still carry the smaller truck to that route? Hell, if that were the way it was when I was in package car, I would have gotten an old P500 and carry that thing to a mall route.

"Sorry, Boss, it looks like I'm only gonna get one section of the mall in this truck. See you tonight at 8PM."

Dracula

I'm assuming all these stats are in regards to UPS?
Divide those impressive percentages by 5 for an annual amount and compare it to UPS's percentage of increased profit and it becomes much less impressive.

How's the few remaining freight companies fairing?

Benny boost?
Is this a boost in benefit contributions or actual benefit levels, because mine took a big hit recently in regards to level?

Until this "superior language" actual translates into something tangible; instead of being reintpreted at the state panels, that's all it is, language. ( aka fluff)
How many increased pages can be attributed to the ever expanding drug testing language?

Move the cards around, find the queen if you can, but in the end we are going backwards.

AND, most importantly, and improvements in language are only as good as the way they are enforced. Failing grade in that department.

In real job security, that any feeder driver will tell you, subcontracting continues to get worse. And subcontracting, like Surepost in package car, is a net job loss.

Overpaid Union Thug

Makes no difference to me. I'm in feeders. But it doesn't make a lot of sense, unless every package car in your center is the same size. If you have a 700 and bid on a route with a 1000 or a 1200, do you still carry the smaller truck to that route? Hell, if that were the way it was when I was in package car, I would have gotten an old P500 and carry that thing to a mall route.

"Sorry, Boss, it looks like I'm only gonna get one section of the mall in this truck. See you tonight at 8PM."

I'm thinking that a way to fight this (in package) would be to file a grievance for favoritism. Meaning...if management is going to allow certain drivers to select "their" trucks then they must allow ALL. Start at the top and ask what truck do you want and go down. The only catch is that the truck would have to be able to handle the conditions of the route such as amount of pieces, being able to maneuver through long, narrow, unpaved, gravel/dirt roads that are too tight for certain trucks to fit through, and things like that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
AND, most importantly, any improvements in language are only as good as the way they are enforced. Failing grade in that department.

In real job security, that any feeder driver will tell you, subcontracting continues to get worse. And subcontracting, like Surepost in package car, is a net job loss.

So....

You are "leading the charge" in filing grievances on subcontracting ?

Walk it back.

How many have you filed ?

What was the disposition of your grievance ?

-Bug-

govols019

You smell that?
Not that comparing feeder tractors to package cars is an apples to apples comparison but I'll bite. When you bid a route in package you are also bidding on the truck that comes with it. Plus, most routes are assigned a truck based on need based on the route itself..... NOT based on the selfishness and entitlement minded attitudes of certain drivers that suffer from spoiled brat syndrome. That's how it is in some centers though.

If a driver bids on another route and "his" former truck is similar to the truck on the new route then he should be able to swap if the driver on his old route agrees. But the notion that people should be able to just take it upon themselves to selfishly take vehicles from someone on another route is ridiculous. Whether they bid off or were bumped off.

Seniority gives you the right to bid. Not change truck assignments. That is my opinion anyway and it seems logical enough to share it. If I bid on a route I expect to get the truck that comes with it and not get it taken away and replaced by a truck that I didn't bid to on. I won't bid a route an then selfishly take another's truck. That's the difference it makes to me.

I never mentioned tractors....so, whatever.

Where in the bid selection does it mention which package car it will be run out of? You bid the route not the package car. Which package car UPS chooses to assign to a route is completely up to them...they own it.

There's the way you want things to be...and there's the way things are.

Overpaid Union Thug

I never mentioned tractors....so, whatever.

Where in the bid selection does it mention which package car it will be run out of? You bid the route not the package car. Which package car UPS chooses to assign to a route is completely up to them...they own it.

There's the way you want things to be...and there's the way things are.

You got me on the tractor thing. I guess sine I knew you were in feeders you might have been referring to feeder bids.

Regarding there is the way I want things to be......our business agent and steward agrees with me. Yes, management dictates what trucks go where based on the needs of the routes but NOT the needs of the drivers. That is why when drivers switch routes they have no right to take "their truck" with them or to just up and decide they want to take a truck from another route. I was actually instructed on just how to fight then grieve that if it were to happen to me. Meaning...I bid a route and another driver just arbitrarily decides to take the truck from the route I bid on. Our steward and BA even agreed that the trucks are usually one of the factors that dictates whether or not drivers bid a certain route. So, here we bid the routes and the trucks.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I believe the company could and has been. As soon as an accident happens in one of these death traps. The company sends their people out with a check book to pay off the family and has the family sign off that they won't hold the company liable now or in the future. Atlanta just views it as a business cost. When they should be caring about the well being of ALL their drivers. It is inexcusable and pathetic that our company puts millions of dollars in "big brother technology" but can't spend the money to change out lap belts to shoulder harnesses.
Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.....:p

soberups

Where is the D.O.T. responsibility in regards to all of this?????
The vehicles in question (barely) met the minimum legal DOT standards that were in place the year they were built, therefore they are "grandfathered" in. They could not be legally manufactured today.

soberups

Ninja spelling edit. ;)

Details ?

Anyone, can post a google image.

You have to be better.... than that type of BS.

-Bug-

Look at the picture. Its not BS. The package car is an 80's vintage P1000 with a low-backed seat and a lap belt. Assuming his face didn't go through the windshield, he would have been tossed around like a rag doll instead of his upper body being held to the seat with a 3-point harness that would have probably cost less than $50 extra for the factory to install. But our lives weren't worth the extra $50.

soberups

Just because a truck is old and uncomfortable does not mean it is unsafe. Some people act like spoiled children if they don't always get a shiny new truck to drive.
I am happy with anything made after 1994. I don't mind using a stick shift as long as the truck has power steering, a low step and a 3 point seatbelt.

SHAIV

I talked to a mechanic a few weeks ago and asked him when we will get rid of those 1000 with stick shift. He said they are now 25 years old and on the crush list. I guess as soon as they have something expensive break on them they will be crushed

SHAIV

Also in my center the new ones go to the whiners and people who make the best numbers which are usually one in the same

govols019

You smell that?
You got me on the tractor thing. I guess sine I knew you were in feeders you might have been referring to feeder bids.

Regarding there is the way I want things to be......our business agent and steward agrees with me. Yes, management dictates what trucks go where based on the needs of the routes but NOT the needs of the drivers. That is why when drivers switch routes they have no right to take "their truck" with them or to just up and decide they want to take a truck from another route. I was actually instructed on just how to fight then grieve that if it were to happen to me. Meaning...I bid a route and another driver just arbitrarily decides to take the truck from the route I bid on. Our steward and BA even agreed that the trucks are usually one of the factors that dictates whether or not drivers bid a certain route. So, here we bid the routes and the trucks.

Just cover feeder for now. I still get sent back down among the package sodomites from time to time. LOL

You're right, a driver has no right to decide to swap trucks on his/her own. If management decides, for whatever reason, that it's a good business decision then that's managements right.

We had a guy bid a route that had a new P-1000 and three weeks after he started on the route they gave the new truck to another driver and replaced it with an old stick shift P-1000. Package cars the same size...no grievance to be filed. Sucks but the Local has no say in how UPS assigns their equipment unless it involves an accommodation for a medical condition.

To me, it's just not a issue worth getting upset about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours is a small center and senior drivers have "their" package cars which they do take with them if and when they bid on a different route which uses the same size pkg car.

Overpaid Union Thug

Just cover feeder for now. I still get sent back down among the package sodomites from time to time. LOL

You're right, a driver has no right to decide to swap trucks on his/her own. If management decides, for whatever reason, that it's a good business decision then that's managements right.

We had a guy bid a route that had a new P-1000 and three weeks after he started on the route they gave the new truck to another driver and replaced it with an old stick shift P-1000. Package cars the same size...no grievance to be filed. Sucks but the Local has no say in how UPS assigns their equipment unless it involves an accommodation for a medical condition.

To me, it's just not a issue worth getting upset about.

I wouldn't mind bouncing back to package every once in a while if I was in your position. It would be a change of pace and scenery from feeders.

What was the reason for the new P-1000 getting moved to other driver? If they were the same size then it was likely a case of the other driver simply telling the center manager or On Car "Hey I want that truck and I have more seniority than him" and not a case where management can claim operational needs. Unless the other driver had a medical consideration like you said the driver that lost the truck could fight it by doing the same thing. Find a similar size truck (or possibly just close enough) that a less senior driver has and "claim it." When the sups say no they can file a disparity grievance and would have a good shot at winning. According to a BA I spoke to anyway. Management would then be forced to either accommodate the grievant and anyone else after or not accommodating the original driver that wanted his truck. The best defense in this situation is to just not ever allow it to happen. But the spoiled brat variety just can't help themselves.

Our center has more then a few drivers that suffer from spoiled rotten driver syndrome. Some are so far gone they have an arrogance about them that makes them believe that they run the building and the supervisors are simply there to accommodate them. Those are the jerks that want to take "their" trucks to a new bid route. Those are the same drivers that lay down if they don't get their way. Same guys that purposely run over 9.5 to get the penalty. Same ones that always get work moved to the route next to them or some other poor bastard across town.The same ones that get 8 hour requests and purposely work over for the penalty. The same ones that refuse to help other drivers but expect others to help them, yet, want to play games and won't answer calls from the driver being sent to help or the messages from the center. I blame the past management teams for allowing those drivers to become what they are by spoiling them. And to an extent the current supervisors that allow it to continue.

Ours is a small center and senior drivers have "their" package cars which they do take with them if and when they bid on a different route which uses the same size pkg car.

Our center just put an end to that. It was made very clear before and during the bids that no one would be taking "their trucks" to another route.

govols019

You smell that?
What was the reason for the new P-1000 getting moved to other driver? If they were the same size then it was likely a case of the other driver simply telling the center manager or On Car "Hey I want that truck and I have more seniority than him" and not a case where management can claim operational needs.

The driver that got the newer P-1000 had more seniority. It was a management decision. The senior driver never asked for a different package car.

I wouldn't mind bouncing back to package every once in a while if I was in your position. It would be a change of pace and scenery from feeders.

Sometimes it's great, sometimes it sucks. The 34 hour "weekends" are probably the worst.