Buying Schwab Funds via Vanguard

MassWineGuy

Someone recently posted about how to add stocks and funds from Charles Schwab to a Vanguard 401k. I searched but couldn’t find it. If someone knows the details, please post. Thanks.

NC man

Most 401(k) participants only access their 401(k)s when they leave a job. Normally you can't cash out your 401(k) without quitting your job. However, some plans allow participants to cash out their 401(k)s via a 401(k) loan or through a hardship withdrawal.

MassWineGuy

I see the confusion. I don’t want to cash out at all. Vanguard’s list of which of its funds we can buy with our plan is very short. Maybe Schwab has some better choices.

McFeely

Huge Member
I see the confusion. I don’t want to cash out at all. Vanguard’s list of which of its funds we can buy with our plan is very short. Maybe Schwab has some better choices.

Why don’t you start a portfolio with Schwab in addition to your Vanguard account? If you can’t do it thru VG, then go directly to CS 🤷‍♂️

MassWineGuy

With Vanguard, I have the whole pre-tax contribution thing in place. I wouldn’t have much extra cash to open another account.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Geezus the advice here is terrible.

You're looking for the self directed option within your employer 401k plan. Call your 401k administrator if you can't find it on the website.

Also, as a general rule, ignore everything @olroadbeech says.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Up 3000% down how much must still be good.
73% from high. i dont speculate much. just have some individual stocks for the fun of it.
perhaps 5% of my total portfolio.

everything else is in various Vanguard Index funds
Maybe 10-15% in cash.