Can UPS truck back into my driveway?

JoanC

In Joans defense, if the house I’m delivering to has an empty level driveway, that’s the one I’m parking in “if” i needed a safe place to park.
I’m not gonna park in the driveway across the street that isn’t getting a pkg.
My hub looks down on parking in resi driveways.
With that being said, Joan should still be aware of objects in her path while backing. Could’ve been a kid.
Thank you for your response.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Thank you. However, I feel he and I were both moving. Some of you have been very nice and I appreciate it.
It is hard to determine after the fact. If you had called the police maybe they would have been able to determine that at the scene. now it is too late and up to your insurance company to determine at fault.

quad decade guy

It is against UPS policy to drive onto other peoples’ driveways. It is however, legal. He will be charged with an avoidable accident with the company but in the eyes of the law, you backed into a parked vehicle. It sounds like you already got your answer through your insurance and UPS. You were at fault, but he’s going to get his licks too.
Really?

UPS policy.....never heard that one.

The OP's post is so convoluted I'm not sure what happened.

BTW, there are scenarios where parking or whatever might be the only way out of some places.

JoanC

It is hard to determine after the fact. If you had called the police maybe they would have been able to determine that at the scene. now it is too late and up to your insurance company to determine at fault.
Thank you. I appreciate your response.

JoanC

In Joans defense, if the house I’m delivering to has an empty level driveway, that’s the one I’m parking in “if” i needed a safe place to park.
With that being said, Joan should still be aware of objects in her path while backing. Could’ve been a kid.
Thank you. Both driveways are level. Point taken although no little kids in the area and the incident happened at noon when kids were in school. But there can always be an exception.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thank you to those of you who took my issue seriously and gave me sensible responses.
I havent read every post.
Bottom line a UPS driver is NOT supposed to back into a driveway.
If that is determined then you should not have a problem with your claim.
Expect a fight. UPS is very tight with their money.

If the UPS driver was parked then it was your fault. If his truck has telematics then it will be easy to tell if he were parked or backing.

Last edited:

JL 0513

I havent read every post.
Bottom line a UPS driver is NOT supposed to back into a driveway.
If that is determined then you should not have a problem with your claim.
Expect a fight. UPS is very tight with their money.

If the UPS driver was parked then it was your fault. If his truck has telematics then it will be easy to tell if he were parked or backing.
Orion says to do it 50 times a day.

Seriously though, it's not a hard rule to not use driveways, UPS just tells us to avoid it if it's not necessary.

What do you do on dead ends with no turn around? Driveways is the only solution. There's thousands of these types of dead ends in my area.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

My rule has always been to never park in the driveway unless it’s a rural house with a turn around and it’s the house you’re delivering at. I make my back in the driveway, never putting more than half the car on the driveway, then find a place to park on the street. Too many idiots that fly out of their garage without looking. Wouldn’t be a problem if everyone just backed into their spot. Only good thing UPS has taught me.

JL 0513

JoanC, we understand your frustration. The driver shouldn't have used your driveway if he wasn't delivering to your house. I've never done that, can't believe someone would. From a legal standpoint, it looks like you hit a parked vehicle. UPS trucks track everything and our telematics would show whether he was parked.

Just so you know, internally, he was charged with an accident which is the worst thing to happen to us short of being fired. Yes, we get charged for an accident when someone else hits us. But legally, for insurance purposes, the usual law applies.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Orion says to do it 50 times a day.

Seriously though, it's not a hard rule to not use driveways, UPS just tells us to avoid it if it's not necessary.

What do you do on dead ends with no turn around? Driveways is the only solution. There's thousands of these types of dead ends in my area.
"supposed to" are the operative words.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I’m not bitching and my name is Joan. I came here to ask if the driver did anything wrong because I thought UPS drivers would know.
I was not and am not being argumentative.
It’s unfortunate that you feel the need to call me names when I only relayed my situation and asked for your experience and knowledge.
Regardless of what way he was on the road you backed into a non moving vehicle, clearly your fault

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most people incorrectly think their property starts at the street. Some setbacks are 10 feet or more. So, can we turn around in "your" driveway? Yep.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We use to have telematics that would prove if the driver was backing at that time. Not sure if we have it any longer. Ask the UPS supervisor to check the telematics!
✊🧔‍♂️
Suit monkeys run to telematic reports like fat people to a buffet when anything happens.