Can We Be Fired For Not Coming In From Vacation?

O

OLDMAN3

20 years ago they begged me to work my vacation. center manager offered me a bribe of a $50 gift card on top of regular pay. The bribe worked. Got my gift card before punching in on Monday. Around Noon on Monday I injured myself on the job. So I was paid Vacation pay for the week, Workman's Comp for the week, and a $50 gift card!

If they are posting a signup sheet for this, then they proved they do not have a sufficient workforce.
The union hall should be buzzing like a beehive !!!!!!

We are hiring, training as fast as we can, and have max hours available to all who want it. On top of that we have contractors moving our work also. So this sign up sheet is no surprise and I'm sure was ok'd by the local.

That said the odds of me working my vacation are about as equal as the odds of me sleeping with Angelina Jolie if I'd don't work it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

20 years ago they begged me to work my vacation. center manager offered me a bribe of a $50 gift card on top of regular pay. The bribe worked. Got my gift card before punching in on Monday. Around Noon on Monday I injured myself on the job. So I was paid Vacation pay for the week, Workman's Comp for the week, and a $50 gift card!

Nice try-----comp does not kick in until you are off for two weeks.

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
If you don't come in and lick there boot's they will get mad at you....You don't want that do you? They may even try to give you more work,or threaten you with some kind of disciplinary action. You better go before you get in trouble!!!!

raceanoncr

You need Caller ID.

The way I knew UPS was calling is it's the only number that shows up "Unavailable" name and "Unavailable" number.

In feeders, when they called to ask if I wanted an extra on day off and I didn't want it, I'd merely say, "I think I just disqualified myself". They hung up.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I don't have any sympathy at all for the recent staffing shortage of package car drivers; if the company had hired enough drivers in the years leading up to peak 2013, they wouldn't have this problem. I'm a little more sympathetic towards the feeder operations as finding CDL-qualified candidates isn't easy, but the same applies.

Working during your vacation allows the company to continue with not promoting PT'ers into FT jobs. It keeps RTDs from working a week and getting progression credit and it helps the company (to a lesser extent) by not forcing them to work double-shifting employees in the hub.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Vacations are meant to be used to rest our bodies and mind from the relentless battering it gets every day at UPS. My trucking friends can't believe I get six weeks but would never switch jobs with me saying the pay and vaca are not worth the effort it takes to be a driver here.

I could see switching a vacation week for another but that still reeks of improper staffing. You've earned those paid weeks off and honestly your mind and body need it more than you know.

Having thought about it today my feeling is if I was the local and UPS came to me with the proposal of allowing drivers to work a vacation the trade off would be if one did work then another ,by seniority , who couldn't be eligible for that week at vacation bid be allowed to move a vacation to the working drivers week.
That would allow lesser seniority drivers to have a more favorable week.

kingOFchester

Air horns? Music? Caller ID to know when not to answer phone? Telling them you are drunk or been drinking?

Come on guys, are you serious? First call "no, I am on vacation, see you monday". Second call, "I said no, if you call again I am going to call the union. I am requesting that you do not call me again". Third call, call the union.

UPS is out of control, and from the posts on BC I can see why.

Last edited:

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I just cant bring myself to lie. would feel that I was lowering myself to their level.

I told them Monday that I had plans all day which was true. doctor, Costco , etc.

the rest of this week I didn't answer the phone since I do have caller ID. Im just sick and tired of the intimidation and bullying.

I cant lash out at them in person because it just hurts me more for several days. calling in sick on Monday.

kingOFchester

Careful there. Retaliation could include sending you for evaluation on why you're drinking at 8am on a weekday.

And yet another reason not to play games. Tell them not to call, and if they do call pursue all avenues that are not limited to the UPS/union contract.

We have a right not to be harassed at home, off duty, on vacation....whether that be your employer or a telemarketer.

Last edited:

kingOFchester

I told them Monday that I had plans all day which was true. doctor, Costco , etc.

Stop! It doesn't matter what the hell you had planned. You could have a day planned of sitting in a dark closet twiddling your thumbs. It doesn't matter. YOU ARE ON VACATION. Off the clock. Off duty and entitled to not being harassed.

And yet another reason not to play games. Tell them not to call, and if they do call pursue all avenues that are not limited to the UPS/union contract.

We have a right not to be harassed at home, off duty, on vacation....whether that be your employer or a telemarketer.

I'm not saying don't have fun. Tell them you had some bad sushi the night before and you have explosive diarrhea and then proceed to be as descriptive as possible for as long as possible till they hang up.

Another fun game, let your 6 year old answer the phone and talk about Legos till they hang up.

kingOFchester

I'm not saying don't have fun. Tell them you had some bad sushi the night before and you have explosive diarrhea and then proceed to be as descriptive as possible for as long as possible till they hang up.

Another fun game, let your 6 year old answer the phone and talk about Legos till they hang up.

If it is fun for you, then go all hog. I enjoy reading stories about stuff like this. But, for me I do not want to hear my phone ring in the morning. I keep my phone on for family emergencies and everyone I know knows not to disrupt the king while tucked away. It would piss me off to have my phone ringing because the center wants me to work. Turning off the phone is now hindering my line of communication for family issues/emergencies. I do not want to be in the position where I have to play games, or shut off phone.

Again, I do enjoy reading about drivers and such messing with management when management is out of line. I am sure management also have some great stories about hourlies calling off. I would enjoy those too.

If it is fun for you, then go all hog. I enjoy reading stories about stuff like this. But, for me I do not want to hear my phone ring in the morning. I keep my phone on for family emergencies and everyone I know knows not to disrupt the king while tucked away. It would piss me off to have my phone ringing because the center wants me to work. Turning off the phone is now hindering my line of communication for family issues/emergencies. I do not want to be in the position where I have to play games, or shut off phone.

Again, I do enjoy reading about drivers and such messing with management when management is out of line. I am sure management also have some great stories about hourlies calling off. I would enjoy those too.

All joking aside our management group is very careful of what a phone call might be made for. Most common one I get is to let me know of the opportunity of starting early. Drivers who have told management not to call will find that they comply but also find they are SOL on filing a grievance if a junior person comes in to start early or any other seniority related topic.

oldngray

nowhere special
All joking aside our management group is very careful of what a phone call might be made for. Most common one I get is to let me know of the opportunity of starting early. Drivers who have told management not to call will find that they comply but also find they are SOL on filing a grievance if a junior person comes in to start early or any other seniority related topic.

You can usually tell by time of day what the call is about. Like when its going to be a call asking you to come in early because preloader didn't show up, or late morning it would be a call begging you to come in when you are scheduled off. That determines whether you want to answer the phone or not.