Casual driver sent home 2-3 days a week

clean hairy

If he wants to speak to you on Monday, slim chance he might have you work more to keep you.
Sounds as though you made enough of am impression they may noy want to lose you.
Either way, it will work out for what is best for you!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
1) Depending on when you started you might not be a casual. Casuals have no guarantee.
2) If you've amassed your 30 working days, you may be permanent now in which case you don't have to go home. To lay you off they likely need 1 business day notice.
3) Get with a steward as it all depends on your supplement.

Edit: disregard the above. I didn't read the entire thread but did just see your followup post saying you resigned....If you were hired in May and had not quit you might have been perm now, but if rehired now you're just going to be seasonal then likely thrown away as a Christmas present.

Last edited:

Box Ox

If you've amassed your 30 working days, you may be permanent now in which case you don't have to go home. To lay you off they likely need 1 business day notice.

Part time permanent employees who make their 30 days as temp cover drivers don't become permanent full time or have a guarantee from then on. Why would an off street hire who does the same?

Two ways to become permanent with guarantee that I know of:

-You get lucky and are chosen as an outside permanent full time hire under the 1:6 ratio that is typically reserved for favored management who is dying to go driving.

Or

-Become a permanent part time employee and likely spend years climbing the ladder until you go full time.

ManInBrown

Part time permanent employees who make their 30 days as temp cover drivers don't become permanent full time or have a guarantee from then on. Why would an off street hire who does the same?

Two ways to become permanent with guarantee that I know of:

-You get lucky and are chosen as an outside permanent full time hire under the 1:6 ratio that is typically reserved for favored management who is dying to go driving.

Just in my center alone we have 4-6 off the street that in the last 2 years have become FT Perm. Now why, I don't know? Are they not following the ratio? Have they exhausted the PT to FT list? You really don't have to get as lucky as you used to, from what I've seen? No FT spots have been filled with PT sups in my center. A few drove at peak but now they are FT on-cars.

I highly doubt the OP is a permanent driver. If he was he would know it. The off the streets in my center were all laid off for a period of time after peak and were brought back and had to do the 30 days again. I've never seen an off the street gain seniority without being laid off after peak for a period of time. It doesn't happen.

ManInBrown

I know there are guys in my groups that have been there for a year or more and are still cover drivers. Not sure if that matters at all

Different supplements have different language from what I've gathered in my time here at BC. There are regions where FT cover drivers aren't permanent. Which is mind boggling to me. I've read on here where drivers were cover for 10 years and they weren't permanent. Here all cover drivers are permanent. I don't know where you are, but like I said there is no way you are permanent. 30 days or not. They don't let off the streets qualify without being laid off for a period of time after peak. It does not happen. Where I am there is one or two weeks in September where they lay casuals off before bringing them back to work thru Christmas. If you work a single day in that September layoff period you are permanent. I have never seen them work a casual during that period. But different regions and supplements have different language

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Different supplements have different language from what I've gathered in my time here at BC. There are regions where FT cover drivers aren't permanent. Which is mind boggling to me. I've read on here where drivers were cover for 10 years and they weren't permanent. Here all cover drivers are permanent. I don't know where you are, but like I said there is no way you are permanent. 30 days or not. They don't let off the streets qualify without being laid off for a period of time after peak. It does not happen. Where I am there is one or two weeks in September where they lay casuals off before bringing them back to work thru Christmas. If you work a single day in that September layoff period you are permanent. I have never seen them work a casual during that period. But different regions and supplements have different language
I don't think so. In New England, we still have seasonal, temp and etc cover drivers who are not FT but work FT hours. If they do qualify, a % of their days on-road count towards seniority. We have PT sups who drive FT during peak.

I've asked to learn others. Twice, in fact, and had full timers offer to teach me theirs, in case coverage is needed down the road. Request denied.

ManInBrown

Jumping on a route for a day to learn it here ended years ago. You run it blind to learn it. And if they think sending a casual out on a route blind will be a total cluster, they won't even allow it.

box_beeyotch

Jumping on a route for a day to learn it here ended years ago. You run it blind to learn it. And if they think sending a casual out on a route blind will be a total cluster, they won't even allow it.

That's when you grab the board from said driver who wants the day off, sneak out and run the route anyway. It's the only way you will ever learn because you sure cant rely on management to teach you nor should you.